Volvo S60 - Crombster
As I plan on changing my car early next year I have started the usual gathering of brochures and drooling over the lovely pictures. Unfortunately I wont be buying one straight off the production line but will be looking for as few miles as possible with £15k being my streched to the max limit.

For long enough I have seen the 5 series as the main contender for replacing the Omega, however on my budget I will be struggling to pick up a 530, and would more than likely choose a 523/528 on a V plate with 50k on the clock.

However, an S60 T5 whizzed passed me today and it rather caught my eye. On looking up the T5's stats it sounds fairly impressive and certainly looks more than capable of whooping the local neds on my often crazy drive home from work on the late shift.

Volvo's I know little about, has anyone had any experience of this model, not to mentioned the Volvo customer experience in general.

Cheers
Volvo S60 - volvoman
Can't comment on the S60 except to say it looks grrreeaaatttt ! If it goes like my brothers T5 it won't disappoint either - the words carp and goose come to mind !!
As for the Volvo experience the servicing's not cheap via a main dealer but I buy parts and get my local guy to do most of the servicing. Not sure whether you'd want to do that though. I suppose you pay a high price to maintain a Volvo SH or you eventually sell the car for a bit less having had it serviced elsewhere. Swings and roundabouts perhaps. Not keen on my local dealer after they recommended lots of work which I was later told wasn't necessary. However went to another dealer a few months ago with a query about the PS fluid level and they checked it/topped it up for nothing there and then. No big thing I agree but good service nonetheless.
Volvo S60 - Steve S
Great car, especially in SE trim. All of them are quiet & very comfortable. The 2.0 litre turbo is a little underpowered off the mark but once wound up, is brisk enough and certainly better than the equivalent base German equivalents.

The T5 is very fast and less unruly than previous incarnations due to the improved chassis & suspension compared to older the older "70" models in their range.

If you check HJ's review you may find it helpful and I certainly agree with him that the 2.4T is the best. The low pressure turbo is a great balance for this car giving it plenty of early rev power and a smooth drive.

My oil burning colleagues tell me the D5 is also one of the best around.

My own dealership, Hildenborough Volvo near Tonbridge in Kent (I have a C70) have been excellent. On the one occasion I've had dealings with Volvo UK they too were very good.

Hope this helps.
Volvo S60 - volvoman
That's where I took mine so I can vouch for what Steve says.
Volvo S60 - Flat in Fifth
My oil burning colleagues tell me the D5 is also one
of the best around.

The S60 D5 is not quick, it's ludicrously quick. Still too expensive considering price range you have but........

The 2.4T is the best petrol, and not totally gutless like the 2.0T which I find you have to rev the nuts off.

Not driven a T5 but on every example I have driven the handling is superb. Plus, like most Volvo's, superb headlights esp main beam.

One negative comment is that for the size of car, cabin space esp in the rear is none too generous.

Volvo S60 - volvod5_dude
You won't go far wrong with an S60. I had a D5 model for a day and it was really quick for a diesel, however I bought a V70 D5 because I need the space. I previously had a V70 2.4T and the performance was excellent and averaged 28mpg overall I don't think the T5 is much less. My local dealer Johnsons in Worcester and Redditch are really helpful and I don't think the cost of servicing is too bad.

Didn't the S60 T5 beat a 24 hr speed record a couple of years ago?
Volvo S60 - Dave H
The S60 is good, by do look at the new Audi A4 also. I'm very pleased with mine.
Volvo S60 - volvod5_dude
My brother has just taken delivery of an A4 2.5TDI. The engine is extremely noisy compared to my D5.
Volvo S60 - Cyd
Peops I know who have an S60 T5 reckon it's a stonking motor.

My Rover Turbo can keep ST200s, ST170s, 530s, 325s, VW1.8Ts et-al at bay with ease, but the Gold S60 T5 round the corner from me can get away every time. I'll be having one next time (depending on when the V8 ZTs come out that is).