2000 1.2 16v - very slugish to say the least. - bikemadbaz
my corsa just does not want to excelerate when i put my foot down. Driving along at about 60, then put my food down and the car seems to choke up rather than go any faster. If i lift the throttle a bit then just ease the throttle down it will creep up in speed, but this is to slow to overtake. I have tried knockinig it down a gear but it just will not pull at anything like it should. changed the air filter, still no better? HELP PLEASE.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/07/2009 at 13:03

very slugish to say the least. - captain chaos
Blockage in the exhaust system, perhaps? Happened to me once, the car had a huge transverse muffler and it was full of water and unburnt fuel. You could tell when you crawled underneath and tried to lift it on the hangers, it weighed a ton. New back box did the trick. Worth a try. Good luck
cc
very slugish to say the least. - Rattle
What engine do you have and what year is it?
very slugish to say the least. - 1400ted
Had a service recently ? Blocked air filter ?... Can't get enough air in when it wants it quickly.
Try a new filter and a new set of plugs to start with.

Ted
very slugish to say the least. - bell boy
its probably a 1200 8 valve and down on puff
very slugish to say the least. - bikemadbaz
You were right. it was a blockage in the back box. Found this out by trying to get it to go a bit faster, all of a sudden there was a bang under the car, looking out the back window I could see exhaust wodding all over the place and the car went off at a right pace. Looking under the car a bit later on down the road I could see the triangle back box had blown out all down the outside edge. now it goes like a fast thing and sounds like a tank. New back box tomoz, job sorted. thanks to everyone for all your help and ideas. Bazza.
very slugish to say the least. - FotheringtonThomas
Try "Technical", rather than "Discussion". Perhaps a helpful Moderator will re-route your question.
very sluggish to say the least. - Avant
"Driving along at about 60, then put my food down and the car seems to choke up rather than go any faster."

You may be the one to choke up if you eat while you're driving..... :)
very sluggish to say the least. - grumpyscot
Faulty air-flow meter?
very sluggish to say the least. - Farmer Boy
Ill bet it's the unrepairable over complicated electronics that they put in modern cars and it will cost an arm and leg to repair (probably by computer keyboard) or the car will have to be scrapped!
very sluggish to say the least. - bikemadbaz
someone said it could be the cat, another the air flow meter? don't know ? am going to take it to the exhaust place to have that checked out. cheapest option first. will post results.
very sluggish to say the least. - Dynamic Dave
will post results.

If you also post the engine details and Year of manufacture, then myself or one of the other mods will move your question across to Technical Matters where questions of this nature are best asked.

DD.
very sluggish to say the least. - Rattle
Mine would loose power at random if I needed to accelerate harshly. My mechanic then did an ECU scan which revealed 02 lamdba low voltage. I was not convinced the lambda sensor was faulty though and suspected the MAF. I did a lot of research onto this and came to that the conclusion that if the MAF is faulty Lamdba 02 low voltage is a very common fault code.

I then went and bougnt myself a Bosch MAF I got for £86 fro LMF (Vauxhall want £250 for these) and wow the results are just amazing. Now done over 600 miles since I fitted and not so much as a single mis fire since. Its only a 64bhp engine (1.2 16v) but in 3rd it has so much acceleration it often puts a smile on my face. Before even when it wasn't randomly loosing power it never felt very fast, now it feels very nippy.

Its the best £86 I've ever spent on a car.

I am not saying yours is the MAF but if the error code indicates lean mixture you could suspect it.

Also avoid the cheap ebay MAFs, they cause all sorts of running problems on the 16v Corsas, I've known people suspect the MAF first, replace it with a cheap one no difference, then they replace all the other sensors still the same, they then try a Bosch MAF and it fixes it.
very sluggish to say the least. - skreech
>> I then went and bougnt myself a Bosch MAF I got for £86 fro LMF
(Vauxhall want £250 for these) and wow the results are just amazing

Did you have a eml management error code bofore you changed the maf
very sluggish to say the least. - slowdown avenue
just replaced my maf 99 1.2. with ebay copy£28. it fixed the eml light issue, but caused aflat spot from stationary. rep;aced with second hand bosch one, and its running much better. my mechanic did tell that would happen but i like to take the gamble with a pattern part as i feel the orignal parts dont seem to last very long
very sluggish to say the least. - Victorbox
but i like to take
the gamble with a pattern part as i feel the orignal parts dont seem to
last very long

Clearly they last longer than pattern parts!!
the car is a corsa. reg 2000 on a X plate 1.2 16v
its an X reg 1.2 16valve. thought it would go better than this?
very slugish to say the least. - cjehuk
something perhaps more obtuse - is the floot mat rucked up under the accelerator pedal and making it feel like you're flat out but you aren't really?
very slugish to say the least. - bikemadbaz
thanks for that, checked the mat, not a prob, dam, wish it was that simple.
very slugish to say the least. - bell boy
Nothing wrong with a maf off a trusted internet source where you buy it now, ive bought loads and will continue to so long as they work
Anyway bike bloke you really need to have the corsa code read to see what its showing as these vauxhalls are a pain to diagnose with this engine without the knowledge
Remember as i said earlier your engine may be just plain worn as its amazing how worn out injected engines still run when in the old days you would have needed snuff to achieve the same turn key reliability
Also make sure your brakes aren"t binding
very slugish to say the least. - topbloke
more than likely A maff fault but its unlikely to have set a code, beg, borrow,steal a spare to try rather than spashing out on a new genuine one, regards TB
2000 1.2 16v - very slugish to say the least. - Robin the Technician
Our first Corsa was an 02 and was totally gutless. It had been serviced by the dealer from new and had just been done before we bought it. We eventually sold it and got a 55 plate 1.4 with the same condition. I did work out that both cars had been driven 'carefully' so i gave them both a good hard thrashing (not the Fawlty type with a branch) but driven hard through the gears. Both cars responded well and our 55 plate goes like a rocket. Even the 02 car went well once the engine had been 'cleaned out'. They both would get to 60, you put your foot down and it stayed there for an eternity. Now the 55 plate accelerates well.
I'm not saying its what's wrong with yours but its worth a try.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician