06 1200 Brake / Steering Squeal - Nissanman
Hi all,

I just recently had a full service on my car, which included having the rear brakes cleaned out and new pads being installed to the front brakes.

Since this was done (at a garage in Cheshire), I drove back over to the other side of the country where I live and all seemed to be fine.

The next day I drove the 30 miles to work.. all seemed to be fine. (there may have been squeal during this time but I didn't notice it.)

However, on the way home from work, I started noticing a light, high pitched squeal coming from the right hand front wheel. It mainly happens when I press the brake, particularly as I'm coming to a stop. Although it seems to be worse for the first few miles, especially of a morning. By the time I've done about 20 miles, it seems to have largeley dicipated and only occurs as I brake to a stop.

It also happens a little bit when I steer the car slightly to the left. I think of a morning it has also happened when I have first started driving (first 50 yards) without either steering or braking, but i could be wrong.

As far as I'm aware, the garage didn't put any of that grease stuff on the new pads - they said they don't bother.

Is this problem I'm having anything serious, and will it fix itself? Or, can it be rectified inexpensively?

I noticed on another forum that somebody else had experienced some squealing when steering and people had said it might be wheel bearings. Firstly, I'm seriously hoping this isn't the case for me, but also, it seems a coincidence that it is happening literally 4 or 5 days after having the brake pads done. Also, I had a wheel bearing problem on the rear of my car a while ago and that didn't involve a squeal noise, but more of a low pitched "wom wom wom wom" wearing noise.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Bob
Any takers?
If there is any more info I can give to help people make a comment, just let me know.

The squealing/whining (sort of whistling) noise is still happening. It happens most when I first drive the car (after it has been left over night, or if it's been left in the car park all day) - it squeals a bit as I first drive off without either steering or braking.

However, this only happens to start off with. Once driving, the squealing only occurs when I brake - often when I only partially press the break at speed, but also when I break more solidly to a stop. It also occurs when I steer a bit to the left.

I've noticed the noise becomes less frequent the more and more miles I drive in any one journey.. but I could swear that the brakes seem to lack a certain sharpness compared to before I had this service.

Could it be that the brake pad just hasn't been put on right? I'm going to get it looked at on Saturday morning - hopefully the brakes won't fail in the mean time.
06 1200 Brake / Steering Squeal - dereckr
Were the pads removed from the car original? Are the replacements original Nissan spares? It?s possible you are experiencing brake squeal due to the new pads having a different ?footprint? on the discs. This is just a suggestion based on my experience of changing pads on a number of vehicles.
But would that cause occasional squealing when steering (and not braking), and just driving along without steering or braking? The latter has occured when first driving the car for about 30 metres.

As far as I am aware, the pads replaced the originals, although I can't be certain. The pads were bought from Nissan.

Thanks