Eclectic shock

We have just bought a second hand car from a dealer and we found we had to immediately replace broken rear springs and shock absorbers. We understand that we can claim against the dealer, especially as these problems are potential MOT failures. Please could you point us to information on how to make a claim or let us know what form of words we should use and whether we should 'threaten' to go to the small claims court if they do not oblige.

Asked on 7 August 2010 by RC, via email

Answered by Honest John
No, you can't claim against the dealer. You had to give the dealer the opportunity to put the faults right, or refund your money. You can't fix the car yourself then land him with the bill. Law here:
Dear Honest John,

Please help me choose my next car. I would like it to have:
    Select a few terms below
Similar questions
Newly received A3 Sportback SE Technik 1.6 TDI, ordered in January before the new MY2016 'Ultra' specification had been launched. Car has torsion beam rear suspension as fitted to lower grade Golf and...
My Golf mkV GT with 80k miles has a broken coil spring. My garage (not a franchise dealer) advises to fit genuine Volkswagen parts but there are none in the country and it will be about 10 days. Does this...
I like my 2004 Z4 but would like it more if it had a softer ride. It has Bridgestone runflats 255 35 18 on the back and 225 40 18 on the front. Would 225 45 17 alloys all round with conventional tyres...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer