Insurance company logic - Aretas
My wife needs to lend her car to our daughter for a week. Contacted ins co and asked price to add her for a week. Answer was about £15, but no-charge if she was added as a normal named driver on the policy. One guess as to which offer we accepted.
Insurance company logic - SpamCan61 {P}
I'd watch out for any additional excess though if your duaghter is under 25 or not been driving for long.
Insurance company logic - rtj70
There will almost certainly be additional compulsory excess if the daughter is under 25. But that assumes a problem.

If all fine after checking that out not a bad result. If unsure there is always the short term insurance via Norwich Union to consider.
Insurance company logic - Aretas
Thanks for the advice. Daughter is 34, an ex-driving instructor and very competent. I will make a note of the NU short term thing.
Insurance company logic - Bill Payer
My daughter changed her insurance from SD&P and commuting to Class 1 business and Admiral refunded her £15!
Insurance company logic - Rattle
When I passed my test the insurance on my dads car which I am a named driver went down by almost half! Now you would think a learner is less of a risk as there is always a co-driver.
Insurance company logic - Bill Payer
Now you would think a learner is less of a risk as there is always a co-driver.

It's certainly normally the case that it goes up - that just caught out some friends of ours, although it was their daughter's own car. When she passed the premium jumped up hundreds of pounds.
Insurance company logic - rtj70
When I added business use for my first car premium did not change. Neither did it when my wife had to do that a few years back. Sometimes there is no logic to car insurance.
Insurance company logic - pmh2
I can see the logic in the Ins co action from the OP explanation!

A short term change or addition will require 3 actions

new cert adding temp driver with new expiry date
flag up change at end of period delete temp addition
reissue new limited cert

A long term change fits into established process (provide no perceived increase in risk) and requires a single amendment to policy and reissue of a cert only.

Altho many companies would charge an admin fee for any change. You are obviously not using a cheapo internet company.

p

Edited by pmh2 on 05/06/2009 at 13:35

Insurance company logic - daveyjp
My renewal has just come through and as I may change my car this year I was interested in admin charges. They charge £10 for a change of vehicle (plus any extra premium), but if you have been with them for 2 years all charges are waived.

The renewal is also within 5% of other quotes so LV= will get my money for the 4th year running.

Edited by daveyjp on 05/06/2009 at 13:52