MK5 1.9 TDi electric heater - Grease_monkey
I'm not sure if this is public knowledge but i found out today that the above car has got an electric heater aswell as coolant heater. From 'research' on the net today there is a 1kw ceramic heater moulded into the dash.

For those of you who are thinking wow how do you get that to work then this is for 'S' spec car with climatic control

set the heat range to 26 degrees (some say 90% of range others 50%)
press the econ button so that the led is OFF
Turn the fan to whatever speed you want, maybe be better off with 1 first off to see that it is working and off you go.

I have owned 2 mk5 golfs over 4 years and this is the first i know of the electric heater so might be new to alot of peole but then again maybe not??

Might be best trying the above to a cold car that has been sat overnight as you are not going to know if it is working or not if the engine is already warm. Wish i had known about this during the winter!!!

For those of you who own petrol mk5 golfs i'm sorry but the electric heater is only installed in the diesel range of golfs.

For those of you who have got auto climate control the function i imagine is there but i'm not sure how you would go about getting it working.

Hope it helps someone??

Edited by Pugugly on 22/05/2009 at 01:19

VW Golf MK5 1.9 TDi heater - Rudedog
As you mention, it's only fitted to the TDi's, obviously that's because diesels take longer to heat up in cold weather, it's function is described in the handbook, but I thought it was only fitted to the 2.0 TDi's. I've never really had a problem in the cold but then that's maybe because I run with the air-con ON all year (LED light OFF).
MK5 1.9 TDi electric heater - Brit_in_Germany
Another reason for not buying a diesel if the car will only be doing short journies. A 1kW heater will be drawing 80-odd amps. I wonder how many miles are needed before the battery reaches the pre-starting charge state.

BIG
MK5 1.9 TDi electric heater - Grease_monkey
The 1.9 and 2.0 TDi engines are fitted with 140A Alternators which are capable of supplying the power demands of the 1KW heater.
MK5 1.9 TDi electric heater - lotusexige
So we start of with an ICE engine which turns some of the energy in the fuel into mechanical energy, the rest into heat and noise, mostly heat. We then turn some of the mechanical energy into electrical energy, turning some (OK veru small part) into waste heat in the alternator ann finally turn some of the electrical energy back into heat?