Is an EV the best choice for a second car?

I want to replace our Smart Fortwo with as small a car as possible but that still seats four. As it's only a shopping car, we are looking at the Renault Zoe, but my car having been a faultless series of Civics I am worried by the reliability feedback on the Renault. The most important thing for me on our potholed roads is a comfortable and quiet ride. If less than 1000 miles a year is not worth it for electric, what are the best riding small city cars to look at? Cost is not the first priority on something we may keep for 10 years?

Asked on 27 January 2020 by Fred

If cost isn't a major issue and you can charge a car at home, an electric car might make a lot of sense. They don't have as many moving parts as a petrol or diesel, so require less maintenance. I'd recommend the new Skoda Citigo-e iV. Or you could wait for the excellent new Honda E, but it's a bit more expensive...