Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - Mr X
Is it just me or is the hysteria out of proportion to the actual figures ?

'Calls for A-roads to have their speed limits reduced to 50mph are expected to be part of a new 10-year road safety plan launched by the Government today.

Councils will need to give good justification for keeping single carriageway roads at the current 60mph limit, as part of plans which also include creating more 20mph zones in built-up areas near homes and schools.'.

'Maps identifying the location of all the accident black spots in Britain will also be published as part of the initiative to save 10,000 lives over the next decade.
The maps will show the site of a death or serious injury on the road, and may also include information on whether the victim was a driver, passenger or pedestrian, as well as the type of vehicle involved.'
tinyurl.com/c5jy7h

'There are now less than 3,000 road deaths per year.'... and thats the killer punch. With a population of 60.6 million is it really so bad as to need another draconian set of measures for the motoring public ?
Saving 10,000 lives over a decade works out at 2,000 a year so that is an even smaller percentage of 60 million.

Other discussions currently going on merged with this thread, and this thread given a less vague title

Edited by Webmaster on 21/04/2009 at 14:33

Road Deaths - TheOilBurner
It's interesting if you look at the data that was posted here the other day about road deaths decreasing (per mile driven) since the car was first introduced.

There was no big drop in the era that speed cameras were introduced (early 90s), just a steady continuation of the existing trend dating back to the 50s. Nor was there any sign of a big drop when national speed limits were introduced and then lowered later on.

It seems to me that this is probably down to continual, incremental improvements in car safety, from the 3 point seat belt in the 60s to ESP today.

It's a) true that your chance of death on the road is very low now and b) that tinkering with speed limits won't help much either.

For once I agree with you Mr X, the situation is actually pretty good and there is no need to punish drivers to make things better.

Any improvements we do get will be natural improvements in car safety, and there's no need to legislate for that!
Road Deaths - Hamsafar
How man of these deaths are caused by criminals (as you see on Roadwars etc..) who have no regard for any motoring laws and will continue to steal cars, while high on drink and drugs and crash them and probably get thrown to their death as they don't bother with seat-belts?

How many are suicidal pedestrians who jump off bridges?

How many are nutcases being used as an excuse for communal community punishment.

It is not fair that these are used to bump up statistics to reflect how the ordinary motorist is behaving.
Road Deaths - Mr X
Published figures for deaths in NHS hospitals due to avoidable infections and staff mistakes stood at around 17,500 for the year 2008.

Does this not put in to prospective, the 3,000 on the roads and make you ask why those 3,000 are more important than the other 17,500 ?

I would venture to suggest that far fewer people go in to hospital as compared to the number of people using our roads on a yearly basis which in my view makes the 17,500 figure more horrendous.

Edited by Mr X on 21/04/2009 at 10:31

Road Deaths - ForumNeedsModerating
No it's not just you Mr X.

I'm cetainly no speed freak, but on reading this story I wondered just how clever these sort of statistics are when interpreted in a purely one-dimensional way.

Although I wouldn't argue that lower impact speeds kill fewer people (viz, the 30 vs. 20mph argument), I would argue that the increased pollution might kill or prematurely kill some as well with many more areas at the 20mph limit. If the argument for less polluting vehicles is partly (at least) for less bodily damaging pollutants (e.g. particulates, nitrous oxides etc.),
surely there's a point at which the graph lines cross? That is, we're killing more people or shortening their lives, by producing more pollutants per mile - as vehicles going at 20mph in low gears tend to, than we 'save' by slowing those vehicles.

It could also be statistically argued that reducing extra-urban speed limits will negatively impact the efficiency of the ecomony - longer travel times: less productivity. A lower GDP means less money to spend on social welfare/hospitals or other life enhancing things: less people treated and/or fewer resources to aid those in poverty - so less & shorter lives.

The logical end to the monomania must surely be no movement at all - that's very safe indeed - but we'd all starve to death instead.

Given that joined-up thinking & intelligent overview is an alien concept to most of our bureaucrats & band-wagon politicians, simple nostrums like 'less speed = more lives saved'
will be applied more & more.
Road Deaths - OldSkoOL
I agree with 20mph at schools, well justified!

As for country roads at 50mph, madness. Whether you crash into someone at 50 or 60 its still a serious accident and regardless of the limit 50mph is still too fast / dangerous for the black spot corners.

50mph is still too fast to stop in time for a cyclist around a blind bend with a lorry / tractor or any car coming the other way. It won't stop people from loosing on tricky bends and it will just make the countryside congested.

Mind you, it might lower co2 emissions and give more opportunity to catch more motorists in the camera vans.
Road Deaths - Bilboman
Hang about.
If speeds are reduced by one sixth, then drivers will spend more hours at the wheel and traffic jams will get longer and so on to infinity.
Which means that drivers are more likely to come into contact with, or at least cross the paths of, other drivers.
Which meaans more collisions, and more injuries and more deaths on the roads.
And ambulances will take longer to reach scenes of crashes because there will be more cars on the roads for longer periods of times, causing longer traffic jams.

Won't it??
Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - mustangman
You will have probably seen the news article about this. It looks to be reducing some A roads from 60 to 50 mph, and the use of 20 in some ?residential areas? & by schools.

This must be good in places, I?m sure we all know narrow bendy bits of road where the legal limit of nsl is suicidal.

I?m not so convinced of the 20 idea though. Ok by schools, but it will seem ridiculously slow on some wide straight urban roads. We will all be driving with the brakes on.

Good news for camera partnerships ? how easy it will be to ?rake it in?

Discuss

merged with another discussion on the same subject

Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - FotheringtonThomas
The thought had occurred that it might be something to do with reducing emissions.
Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - ex-Triumph man
What a daft poorly thought out idea. Whilst I agree driving more slowly decreases fuel consumption, this suggestion has clearly been made by someone who does not drive. It should always be remembered that the torque converters in cars with conventional automatic gearboxes do not "lock up" until around 55mph. Therefore there will be a degree of slippage and hence increased fuel consumption until the road speed hits around 55.

merged with another discussion on the same subject

Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - TheOilBurner
Sadly, I don't think that argument works, as the majority of autoboxes have locked up by around 45mph.

I've often found the best efficiency is around 50mph, so, as much as I am loathe to admit it - dropping the NSL to 50 would probably reduce emissions, especially in that there would be less accelerating and braking on bendier roads.

Whether it makes the smallest bit of different to global warming or not is entirely another matter...
Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - Alanovich
Indeed, OilBurner. News today is that the sun is heading in to an unexplained cycle of inactivity similar to that which prompted the mini ice age in the 17th century.

I am looking forward to seeing Reading Ice Fair on the Thames before I kick the bucket in about 40 years.

They have absolutely no idea whatsoever what's going to happen to the climate.
Exactly. No matter what happens (hot or cold!) I doubt anybody will look back and go "I wish the NSL was lowered to 50mph sooner, then East Anglia wouldn't be under water", or even "I'm so glad we lowered the speed limits, it saved the Earth".

Either of those options seems incredibly unlikely!
Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - b308
I'm not convinced with that last statement, A... Whilst I have serious doubts that a blanket 50 speed limit would make little or any difference to global warming, as the average speeds on A or B roads are probably well below that now, it cannot be denied that the stuff coming out of our car's tailpipes, power stations and industry is not good for us... I think there's enough evidence to convince most people that the Industrial Age has changed certain aspects of the Earth's climate, sometimes for the worse (look at California for an example and I understand that there's somewhere in Greece that suffers the same way) the only thing left to prove is how good or bad it will be for us in the short term...
Whether that's true or not, if as you say the average speed is already about 50mph, then there is,in fact, no justification to lower the limit for environmental reasons...
Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - Buspass
They're just hoping that at lower speeds we might not notice the continued decline in the state of our ox-cart roads. Cheaper than spending money fixing them . . .
In which case, maybe they should start promoting the purchase of 4x4s!! ;)
Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - stunorthants26
How about raising limits but having a zero tolerance for breaking them.
The general public is unfortunatly rather stupid when it comes to judgement, which is why you have people tailgating, speeding past schools and showing little regard for other road users and it is a large portion of people who do this, few of them master criminals.
Only this morning I had some middle age bint in a Discovery about 5 ft from my back bumper, despite the fact I was stuck behind a lorry on a twisting country road. I wanted to shoot at her, but apparently thats a bit naughty :-)

It is also why we have speed limits.
Leaving it up to the average driver to decide how fast they should go, most will do far more than is safe, not because they should but because they can. They may well get away with it but sooner or later, their luck runs out. That is why drivers are treated like children.

Because we have a system that isnt in the least bit scary, people dont care much for speed limits, so most break them, few get caught and campaigners shut up because they see something has been done however ineffective.
Far better to make limits well thought out for each individual road BUT anything over 10% breaking of the limit, license gone and 10 years till you can have it back. If the limits are appropriate, only the bad drivers should loose out.
Stu, I think I agree with you on this point. Except (deep breath, as I never thought I'd say this...) I would actually be in favour of having a speed limiting device fitted and then speed limits actually being set appropriately. Perhaps the harsh penalties would then work for any cars still not equipped with limiters.

We could then see 80mph motorway limits (where sensible) without risk of raising the average to 90 as many fear!
Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - GJD
How about raising limits but having a zero tolerance for breaking them.

I'd certainly argue that, for any given stretch of road, a limit set for anything other than the most open section, in the most favourable traffic, weather and hazard situations is a limit set too low. But that idea and what you suggest both miss the important point. There is so much emphasis on speed that large numbers of drivers seem to have forgotten that there is rather a lot more to safe and responsible driving than simply obeying the limit. What's needed is a shift of focus away from speed and onto much wider driving skills and standards. A zero tolerance approach even of sensible limits won't help educate the driving public that the number of miles per hour you are doing should not be your primary focus. Unfortunately, speed is undeniably an attractive metric simply because it's easier to measure than competence.
you have people tailgating speeding past schools and showing little regard for other road users

Two of those three can be carried out without breaking the speed limit. And if I reword the third to "driving inappropriately fast past schools", that can be done below the speed limit too. It is no more acceptable to do any of them below the speed limit than above.
They may well get away with it but sooner or later their luck runs out.
That is why drivers are treated like children.

Interesting that you see the cause and effect that way round - cause: drivers don't respect the rules, effect: drivers get treated like children. It works just as well the other way, which is how we've ended up in this downward spiral of driving standards and responsibility.
Far better to make limits well thought out for each individual road BUT anything over
10% breaking of the limit license gone and 10 years till you can have it
back. If the limits are appropriate only the bad drivers should loose out.

That would do nothing to tackle all the people who do stupid, dangerous, irresponsible and antisocial things below the speed limit. Indeed, by increasing the limit, you increase the opportunity for bad driving below the limit. I like the suggestion to buck the current stupid trend of thinking: "let's make the limit so low that it's impossible to be dangerous within the speed limit" but I don't think we stand a hope of improving the standards and sense of individual responsibility among drivers until we can start to attribute far less emphasis to numerical measures of speed.

it cannot
be denied that the stuff coming out of our car's tailpipes power stations and industry
is not good for us...

No denying that, but for me I think pollution is more a health issue which has been quite well dealt with since the middle 20th century than it will ever be a climate issue. I'm all in favour of reducing emissions for health reasons as an asthmatic myself, but air is far, far cleaner in our cities than it's ever been, even pre-industrialisation.
(look at California for an example and I understand that there's somewhere in Greece that
suffers the same way)

How has California's climate changed and have there been proven causes? Not trying to provoke an argument, I'm just genuinely interested. The most serious abuses of the planet by man are routinely ignored, such as the destruction of the Aral Sea, because it isn't somewhere many people care much about.

What absolutely needs to be stopped for the well being of mankind is deforestation of the planet, this is potentially the most catastrophic thing we can do to the place. But even then, in the long run, the planet will survive and rejuvenate itself right up until the sun goes bang. Most likely for many billions of years without us cretins running around eating and burning everything. The human race is ultimately a fleeting chapter in the story of planet Earth, unless we manage to blow it to pieces with nuclear weapons. No amount of screaming about "man made climate change" is going to have the slightest impact on anything very much.
Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - Buspass
But unless I've missed something, the claimed justification for the measure is not climate change, interesting though these exchanges are, but safety.

We'll discover the real reason in due course, and it won't be to do with either -- or it will just get forgotten, like last week's eye-catching initiatives. Cynical? Moi?
Try looking up "smog" and "california" in a search, A, and I think that its well known that it wasn't nature that caused it! They've done an awful lot to reduce it, but pollution is still an issue over there.

I'd debate strongly that "pollution is more a health issue which has been quite well dealt with since the middle 20th century than it will ever be a climate issue" - its been better 'understood' both as a health issue and a climate issue in recent years but I don't think we've really 'dealt' with it very well... we're getting better, and modern cars have helped but there's still a long long way to go...

I've no doubt Earth will survive without us, but do we really want to cut short our offspring's enjoyment of it for our own selfish reasons?

Having said that I tend to feel that the motorist has done more than enough recently and its time for industry and power companies to do their bit.
Try looking up "smog" and "california" in a search

Sorry b308, but surely smog is a pollution and health issue, not a climate change issue? I'm not aware that smog has caused a change to climate anywhere?
I'd debate strongly that "pollution is more a health issue which has been quite well
dealt with since the middle 20th century than it will ever be a climate issue"
- its been better 'understood' both as a health issue and a climate issue in
recent years but I don't think we've really 'dealt' with it very well...

I wasn't around in the times of the peas-soupers in London but I'm pretty certain we don't get those any more. We have achieved much, but you are right, still much to do I'm sure.
I've no doubt Earth will survive without us but do we really want to cut
short our offspring's enjoyment of it for our own selfish reasons?

I doubt very much we are doing that by reducing a few speed limits by 10mph.
Having said that I tend to feel that the motorist has done more than enough
recently and its time for industry and power companies to do their bit.

Hear, hear (or is it "Here, here", never quite sure).
>> Try looking up "smog" and "california" in a search
Sorry b308 but surely smog is a pollution and health issue not a climate change
issue? I'm not aware that smog has caused a change to climate anywhere?

I'd have thought thats one and the same thing, what happens on a local basis can also happen on a much wider basis if the emmissions are high enough, and thats what seems to now be starting to happen... The cause of the pea soupers was recognised at the time and something was done about it...

Now the pollution in cities, whilst not as visible as it was has become just as bad as it was in the 50s in a different form and again we need to tackle it... and as with the 50s people will not like what they have to do... on warm summer days its noticably easier to breath where I live in the country rather than the centre of Brum where I work, so I'm a believer when it comes to "local" climate change.
Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - Andrew-T
How has California's climate changed ..

Surely I can't be alone in believing that the original enforcement of cat-converters was in order to alleviate the famous LA smog? When it was obvious to nearly everyone that the smog was due solely to every person there travelling by car, all car makers interested in selling in California had to develop cats.

Whether you consider that has anything to do with climate may be a different matter ...

But as regards deforestation, you are absolutely right.

Edited by Andrew-T on 21/04/2009 at 15:48

Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - Lud
I notice various people here seem to imagine people have to be told to drive at a speed enabling them to stay on the road: '... quite a lot of twisty narrow country roads where the NSL is much too fast... should be reduced to 50... etc. etc.'

How hopelessly naive can you get? It is transparently obvious that the majority of drivers, to be on the safe side, drive most of the time rather slowly for the conditions, and that this will apply on narrow twisty country B roads as well as motorways safe for 200mph. Those who drive much too fast for the conditions or their own or their car's ability will soon crash and be taken out of the equation.

The urban speed limit should be raised to 40mph in keeping with the brakes and tyres of modern cars. There should be no NSL at all. The driving test should be far more rigorous on the driving side. Drunk pedestrians and cyclists who cause accidents, or their heirs, should be pursued for compensation by those whose property is damaged as a result.
Those who drive much too fast for the conditions or their
own or their car's ability will soon crash and be taken out of the equation.

Along with those they hit.
As now, Alanovich. People determined to do stupid harm can't be stopped.
Oh ok, that's all right then.

Not sure I want people driving down my road, lined with parked cars on both sides, at 40mph though, when anything over 20 sets off all the alarms.

But I guess the same children who would have stepped out in front of a car doing 30 will still step out, so no harm done there then either, eh? Out of the equation, as you put it. Everyone worth tuppence will survive.

I think I'm getting the hang, here. In fact, why bother with an urban limit at all? The same retarded pedestrians will be wiped out. Us clever dickies will be all right.
Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - Statistical outlier
Don't worry Alanovich, the kid that would have been hit by the car doing 30 will be fine as the 40 mph driver will already have passed by. ;-)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB9lUXMuiHg

Edited by Gordon M on 21/04/2009 at 16:43

Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - Rattle
Lud its not about good brakes, it is about the reaction of the driver, at 40mph this causes more of a stopping delay than the actual mechanics of the car.

I think all speed limits in the city should be 30mph apart from dual carraige ways away from the residential areas (40mph). I have mixed feelings about 20 zones because in the areas which really need them its very hard and stupid to do more than 20 anyway.

Other roads are very quiet and large they have 20mph zones just because there is a school nearby, the result is 20 seems stupidly slow and you get all the tailgators trying to get passed you. Should these roads have an electronic vairable limit? 20mph from say 7:00am till 6pm at school times and 30 the rest?
I can't think of a single 20mph zone that is needed. If 30mph is too fast for the conditions, you can be sure that drivers will drive more slowly by themselves.

Nearly all the 20mph zones I know are wide streets, made narrower by stupid horrible bollards, and rendered damaging to cars by stupid horrible speed bumps. They tend to consist of wide-ish residential streets in which everyone has a car anyway. 20mph zones are imposed by stupid craven local politicians in response to stupid demands from half-witted residents. They are never, ever, necessary.

If even car enthusiasts (or people interested in the automobile) are willing to give this rubbishy baby stuff the time of day, then it is time for red-blooded petrolheads to seek out more agreeable company among the rest of the criminal fraternity. Respectable people are just becoming too dull to bear.
That's exactly where petrol-heads are heading - the criminal fraternity. There is little point owning a powerful car like a BMW M3 unless you are willing to collect points (and then inevitably drive whilst banned, etc) these days. Madness.

Funny how acceptable behaviour (e.g. driving quickly, not whilst banned!) one day quickly becomes anti-social and irresponsible the next.

I wonder what's next for the PC brigade once drivers have been fully bled?
Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - diddy1234
I suspect that over the next 5 years the government will make owning any car over 2 litre size very expensive and generally unacceptable to own.

(Just my own view so I am welcome to criticism)
I can't think of a single 20mph zone that is needed. If 30mph is too
fast for the conditions you can be sure that drivers will drive more slowly by
themselves.

No, I'm sorry. I can't. Most do, but I see people not acting like this far too often. In towns and on motorways.
Perhaps it's your own judgement that is at fault Alanovich.

Drivers who go much too fast for the conditions are a rarity in my experience. The opposite sort are wall to wall, getting in each other's way (and mine) as if there were no tomorrow.
Perhaps it's your own judgement that is at fault Alanovich.

Right back atcha. Although I fail to see how this is a question of judgement.

I see very few people getting in my way around town, as I don't expect to be able to drive particularly fast in a very crowded environment.

If you feel there are too many people getting in your way, I'd tend to think you're being too impatient and have unrealistically high expectations of how fast one can drive around the modern urban environment.

But we both inhabit different locations, and on the occasions I do drive in to central London, traffic can be frustrating. But in my view it's the volume which does it, not the attitudes of drivers.
Lud its not about good brakes it is about the reaction of the driver at
40mph this causes more of a stopping delay than the actual mechanics of the car.

What make you say that Rattle? Highway code stopping distances are a can of worms I know, but they are a usable reference and they work that thinking distance (reaction of the drivier) increases linearly with speed but braking distance (mechanics of the car) increases with the square of speed, so the mechanics of the car is more significant.

From 30 to 40mph, the stopping distance increases by 45 feet. 10 of those feet come from the reaction of the driver and 35 from the mechanics of the car.

You've have to find an awful lot of fault with the highway code system before you could overturn a factor of 3.5 in favour of the mechanics of the car being more important.
Reducing speed limits on A roads to 50 - Rattle
When was the highway code last updated in terms of stopping distances?

The mechanical stopping distance is getting shorter all the time as cars get better but on average the human factor remains the same.

Those who drive much too fast for the conditions or their
>> own or their car's ability will soon crash and be taken out of the
equation.
Along with those they hit.

Careful you don't mix up two completely different groups of people.

There are people who take their cars out onto the open road for a bit of fun and who, by pushing either their own or their car's ability might risk their own safety but not anyone else's. And there are people who do the same thing without a care for those around them and risk other people's safety.

The second group should be the focus of road traffic law enforcement. The first group should be regarded in the same way as people who do other potentially hazardous activities for fun like climbing mountains or playing rugby.

There are people who take their cars out onto the open road for a bit
of fun and who by pushing either their own or their car's ability might risk
their own safety but not anyone else's.

I tend to agree, but one can never say that you are never endagering the safety of others around you, unless you have some kind of radar system hardwired to your brain, or some kind of telepathy telling you there's no-one else around. Stack your car through a fence, and how do you know there's no one sitting on the other side?
Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - CGNorwich

"Is it just me or is the hysteria out of proportion to the actual figures ? "

2,946 people were killed, , 27,774 were seriously injured and 217,060 were slightly injured on the roads in 2007. That seems an awful lot of pain and suffering to me,

Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - TheOilBurner
Yes, but the crux of the matter is how many will avoid being killed or seriously injured by these changes to the speed limits? Let's be generous and say 10% improvement, so then we'll have:

2,600 killed, 25,000 seriously injured and 195,000 minor injuries.

That still sounds like an awful lot of pain and suffering too.

So, what next? Down to 10mph in urban areas and 40mph elsewhere?

Where does it end in this pursuit to eradicate all risk from travelling?

Shouldn't we instead try to strike a reasonable balance, and maybe, just maybe we're already there?
Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - Rattle
Even if it saves just 100 peoples lives would that not be worth it?
Not really no, because that argument is a slippery slope back to the red flag act.

Should people be banned from cycling to save lives? Or rock climbing or rafting?

If it saves 1 life, is it worth it?
But rock climbing or cyceling are activities which will always carry risk. Many people have to use the roads not by choice but survive.

I choose not to cycle on roads for example because of the danger, now I do drive and that is also risky but the risk is reduced.
There is a risk to every activity we carry out in our lives. There has to be a level of risk we are prepared to accept. Why the govt feels the need to attempt to reduce road risk to an almost zero level whilst still allowing people to die in hospitals by contracting easily avoidable viruses is a complete mystery to me.
Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - Andrew-T
.. easily avoidable viruses ..

How do you avoid the viruses, Mr X? Can you see them coming? At least with vehicles you have some chance of taking avoiding action. In hospitals you have to rely on others.
tinyurl.com/djq7ke
You read this and you'd think the only problem that troubled this country was the activities of the motorist. O' for the day when other elements that trouble the Uk are dealt with, with as much legislation, parliamentary effort and police involvement.

Edited by Mr X on 21/04/2009 at 21:43

Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - CGNorwich
There has to be a level of risk we are prepared to accept.

Whilst you may be prepared to take your chances there are many who feel the the current level of death and injury is too high and in the case of children they don't really get a vote do they?

As someone who regularly walks to work mainly through residential street I would say that most people drive too fast in such areas when there are children cyclists and pedestrians about. Sure there are a fair share of total idiots driving way over the speed limit but most of the danger comes from those driving around 30mph when a safe speed is sub 20mph
Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - bell boy
5 deaths within 3 miles of me in the last year
all either speed related/texting/eating /or overtired
im sick of being told that these slower speeds are good
anyone tried doing 20 mph in a modern car
its stupid its vote spin and im not playing
20 is hard in my Corsa as the torque is higher in the rev range, but I just find its fine if I am gentle on the throttle the issue is 2nd is too low and 3rd is too high :(. I've noticed it is so much easier to drive at 25mph but thats too fast if the limits 20 :(.

Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - Lud
Any fool who has passed the laughably-misnamed 'driving test' can drive steadily at any speed at all in a car that runs properly. They don't have to stare constantly at the speedometer (anyway I don't). The problem isn't that it is difficult to drive incredibly damn ridiculously slowly, except for true incompetents and those with a lot of involuntary muscular movements for whatever reason. It's easy.

It is just pointless, silly, annoying and oppressive to be required to do it. No one in their right mind just obeys this sort of thing. Only wimps and pathetic idiots do. People who don't just know what speed to drive without having to be told. Nursery people who need to be told what to do.
I would just rather not risk 3 points by some bored cop trying to get me for doing 24 in a 20.

Yes 20mph is easy I find engines don't like speeds of under 25mph, doing 5mph in traffic is easy as I use the clutch to drive at that steady speed, at 20mph the engine is reving quite a lot in 2nd but in 3rd it struggles a bit as there is no low down torque.

If a limit is 20 then I will stick to it, the Audi behind should have left earlier if he is in such a rush.
Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - captain chaos
Reduced speed limits-good or bad
Let's see now... good if you're retired
Bad if you don't want any penalty points and you've got a road rage phsycopath on your back bumper. Don't expect a copper to come to your rescue though... they're all bogged down with paperwork or off on diversity courses. Traffic police have all been replaced by Gatsos so drink as much as you like as long as you don't speed.
Cynical, moi?
Mais, oui!
Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - b308
you've got a road rage phsycopath
on your back bumper.

Pull over and let them past, cc, works for me...

Just out of interest HJ where did your figures come from, I did a search and the only ones I could find stated that in 2005 42% had points and in 2006 5.4m had points... both from the same site!

Edited by b308 on 22/04/2009 at 09:30

Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - stunorthants26
It is very true that 20 mph zones are no hardship but for the plonker behind who doesnt care so much for their license.
In Northampton, they DO speedtrap in the 20 zones that I know of, so rather than being an idiot or a sheep, I simply take the sensible route of someone who needs his car for work and has a child and home to support. Some things are more important than your sector times on teh way to work, I leave that to Hamilton and Button.
Pull over and let them past cc works for me...

I tried this once as an experiment on a notorious stretch of road that was recently reduced from 40 to 30mph. That's notorious in the sense of being a speed camera alley, not for any number of actual accidents...

If you try to stick to 30 you will get tailgated incessantly, as a matter of course. So, to see how effective pulling over actually was, I tried it. Within 5 minutes I was practically parked, I simply couldn't make progress without getting tailgated again and again within a matter of seconds of pulling out (note: pulled out considerately, not forcing anyone to brake hard!).

Pulling over might work on deserted country lanes, but on any kind of urban route during the day, you're just replacing one idiot with another...

When's the election again?
Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - madf
10 times more peopel die of hospital infections than on the roads.

As current limits are not enforced, new ones are a joke.
A report in todays Telegraph states that a switch to central european time would cut the number of road accidents.
In a consultation paper on road safety, the D of T estimated that double summer time would cut the number of road casualties by 1,549 over 20 years.

Of course this isn't going to happen... why not ?
Well the move would be fiercely resisted in Scotland, where it would mean sunrise could be delayed until 10am in winter.
Lets hope those Scots aren't happy with the 20 mph and the 50 mph proposals then they won't go a head.
Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - Roger Jones
I often wonder how much of the reduction in road casualties over the past decade and more is attributable to better in-vehicle safety devices and safety/survival-orientated construction of vehicles, rather than to the oppressive, onerous and ominous spread of speed cameras and reduction of speed limits.

I also wonder how realistic it is to aim for further significant reductions in casualties, given the inexorable increase in usage (miles travelled) and number of vehicles. It may be desirable, but is it achievable?

The recent fatalities on the M1 near Luton are a stark reminder of the primary factor involved: driver error. No doubt that incident has already been added to the "speed kills" statistics by the apparachiks.
Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - Brian Tryzers
I think the 'schools' thing is a red herring. Does anyone here know of a school in any kind of urban or suburban area where you can drive past at drop-off or pick-up time in anything higher than first gear? Not where I live, certainly - the greater hazard when I walk my children to school is exhaust fumes from all those idling engines in the jam outside.

But a general 20mph limit for residential and shopping streets - with exceptions where width or other factors allow - is sensible, and should merely mandate what considerate drivers do already.
a general 20mph limit.. is sensible, and should merely mandate what considerate drivers do already.

No it isn't. If 'considerate drivers' are forced to go slowly by the conditions, as they often are, why lower the limit? All a lower limit will do is enable evil jobsworths to fine people for 'speeding' at night or other traffic-free times.

Speed limit wonkery just isn't serious. It is soppy and intellectually lazy.
Reduced speed limits - good or bad ? - Manatee
As a sidelight, this is going to present an interesting challenge for my colleague with the 16 month old diesel Qashqai that put its engine/DPF light on for the second time last week. The dealer charges £100 to sort it on the basis that if she doesn't do 50mph for 20 minutes when it comes on, it's the driver's fault.
Heh heh Manatee ...

DPF: God's way of calling you a mimser...