Daytime Running Lights - NickS
Morning All,

Having recently been brought up to speed on the new EU directives on Daytime running lights, on a trip to Blackburn yesterday I saw two '05 reg MK V Golfs like mine with what appeared to be running lights, in the section at the bottom of the headlight, below the dipped beam and next to the indicator.

I had always wondered what this section of th eheadlight was for, but is this a retro-fit option or somehting that came from the factory?

If Retro fit, it would be something i would be quite keen to install...................

Cheers,

Nick
Daytime Running Lights - TheOilBurner
Why bother? If you want to have your lights on all the time, then just put them on... Does it matter if your back lights are on too?
Daytime Running Lights - Hamsafar
You can buy the lights on ebay etc.... They are a rude boy mod.
I might be inclined to buy them for an older model of a car that now comes with them in order to refresh it's appearance, but not one that never came with them, as that looks totally lame.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3800...6

Edited by Hamsafar on 16/04/2009 at 10:55

Daytime Running Lights - PoloGirl
You sure they're not just the auto lights that come on at a certain speed? Mine do that on the Golf V but they're not called daytime running lights.
Daytime Running Lights - NickS
No, my auto lights come on at a cetain speed too, not sure what speed it is that triggers them though; any idea?

The DTRL i refer to are in the bottom outside edges of the headlight cluster, level with the indicators. Ive only eve seen them on the two cars i mentioned above, neither of which were "chavved" up.

I certainly dont want rude boy mods on my car, they just looked quite smart, IMO.

Edited by NickS on 17/04/2009 at 12:34

Daytime Running Lights - PoloGirl
Er... they seem to come on when you do 80mph for any length of time.

So I've heard.

Edited by PoloGirl on 17/04/2009 at 23:53

Daytime Running Lights - Dave_TD
they seem to come on when you do 80mph for any length of time

Ooh, back to the days of the Corrado rear spoiler only elevating above 75mph! ;-)

Dave TD
Daytime Running Lights - Stuartli
I've never seen a VW vehicle with daytime running lights in the UK - perhaps you've seen one or, perhaps, two intended for Sweden or similar country with such a policy?
Daytime Running Lights - Stuartli
>>Ooh, back to the days of the Corrado rear spoiler only elevating above 75mph! ;-)>>

Actually it activated at a speed of 45mph or greater.....:-)
Daytime Running Lights - Rudedog
As has been mentioned in other threads, DRLs are now standard on the MK VI, but they were available on the MK V if you had VAG-COM to activate them, I guess this was because they were required in other EU countries, and AFAIK it was just the small white light next to the indicator that was light up.
Daytime Running Lights - Hamsafar
"I've never seen a VW vehicle with daytime running lights in the UK - perhaps you've seen one or, " The few new VW Phaetons I have seen recently have the bright big LEDs inside the light cluster similar to more expensive Audis.

Edited by Hamsafar on 18/04/2009 at 18:10