Offered a loan car - is there a catch ? - Clanger
My son's faithful Citroen AX was rear-ended by a bunch of alcohol-using teens in a Freelander. The Freelander, as one would expect, came off better with a cracked bumper and a smashed headlight. The AX has had the rear quarter pushed into the rear wheel, the roof is creased and the driver's door jammed shut. I expect it to be written off without a moment's thought. Fortunately, he was indoors discussing the meaning of life with his girlfriend at the time. The Police have things in hand and have verified that the AX was legally parked when it was bumped. Insurance details have come to light and the Freelander user's (I hesitate to say driver as the term implies a degree of skill clearly absent in this case) insurance, Tesco, have offered a loan car to my 20 year old son.

Is there a catch ? Who is likely to be responsible for insuring the loan car ?

Any dos and don'ts in this situation ? I'm short of experience in dealing with this sort of thing ...

TIA
Offered a loan car - is there a catch ? - Rattle
My dad had had these too there is no catch but once the setlement has been reached or the AX repaired (unlikely) you must give it back and there will be charges for damage just like a hire car.
Offered a loan car - is there a catch ? - woodster
I think there may be a catch - check what level of insurance cover comes with the loan car and whether there is an excess to pay in the event of another accident whilst using it. Any mileage limits? No doubt there will be an agreement to sign and the detail may well be in there.
Offered a loan car - is there a catch ? - wrangler_rover
Make sure that your son will be insured to drive the hire car.
It may sound bizzare but from personal experience:
My son who was 19 was on my insurance as a named driver and was driving my Punto when it was rear ended. While the Punto was in for repair, the insurance company provided us with a hire car, when we went to collect it, the car hire company informed me my son wasn't insured to drive it as he was under 21. After I had explained that he is a named driver on my insurance policy for the Punto which the hire car was temporarily replacing, the hire company had to phone the insurance company to confirm this and allow them to let my son drive the hire car.
Offered a loan car - is there a catch ? - jbif
Freelander user's ... insurance, Tesco, have offered a loan car to my 20 year old son. Is there a catch ? >>

No catch. These offers are now quite common - for these reasons:
1. Ombudsman has ruled against tardy 3rd party insurers.
2. If 3rd party don't play ball, they end up ahving to fund or dispute much higher costs levied by the independent sector that has moved in to this lucrative field.
3. The 3rd party insurers generally find it is the easiest and fairest way of minimising their total costs of dealing with the claim.
Who is likely to be responsible for insuring the loan car ? >>

Ask own insurer as well as Tesco to clarify this issue.

Offered a loan car - is there a catch ? - Pugugly
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=71...3

Have a look at the above - in case its not as straightforward as you think.
Offered a loan car - is there a catch ? - stunorthants26
We we had a loan car from our accident, when we collected it, we were asked whether we wanted to take out the hire car insurance or use our own from our insurers - it was a case of either or.

Im assuming that the OP is persuing the claim through their insurance rather than dealing directly with the third party insurer?
If so, just contact your own insurer and ask them.
Offered a loan car - is there a catch ? - oldnotbold
When my car was written off by a third party I did a deal with his insurer, and took £20/day (until receipt of their full settlement) instead of car hire/loan replacement. I knew I was going to have to buy another, and did so the day after the accident. It took them nine days to get the cheque out.
Now this thread's a quiz ... - Clanger
The garage that recovered the car has rung son up and offered .... HOW MUCH ?? for the car.

Quiz for those inclined. 1996 Citroen AX Dimension 1.0 4-speed 2-door, recent exhaust, factory sunroof, very clean 60K miler apart from a naff paint job on one front wing, unmarked velour interior, AX GT alloys and recent Pirelli tyres.

Get within £50 of the garage's offer and a virtual pint is yours for the asking.

Answer tomorrow.

Now this thread's a quiz ... - pony
£240 value
re the loan car, just as if you were hiring double check for damage before collection especially windscreen and tyres .
Now this thread's a quiz ... - ifithelps
...and offered .... HOW MUCH ?? for the car...

Hawk,

I'm guessing it's more than you expected, so I'll go a daft £750.
Now this thread's a quiz ... - bathtub tom
Keep them hanging on for a week or so while you 'consider the offer'.

It could be worth a couple of grand after the budget ;>)
Now this thread's a quiz ... - bell boy
£200 for the car
less charges
remember the car was hit by a third party
do you have insurance underwritten protection?
if you have get them on the case
if you havent then insist on it next time at renewal its about £20 for the year
i wouldnt leave home without it in our if theres a claim blame culture
Now this thread's a quiz ... - b308
I'm going even lower, feel they'll look at it as scrap value for that age and model... £150?
Now this thread's a quiz ... - Alanovich
My pessimistic nature prompts me to go for £50. I thought about going to £25, but even I'm not that miserable.
Now this thread's a quiz ... - oldnotbold
I'll go for £160.

Edited by oldnotbold on 17/04/2009 at 13:17

Now this thread's a quiz ... - Clanger
Interesting. You're all £200 away or more. My virtual pint is quite safe so far.

Now this thread's a quiz ... - SpamCan61 {P}
500 quid?
Now this thread's a quiz ... - oldnotbold
You mean they are charging you to take it away?
Offered a loan car - is there a catch ? - Clanger
£550 or £500 + the wreck. Son accepted on the spot. Can't say I blame him. Must say I would like the wheels and tyres back. However; his decision. Thank you for playing.

Spamcan; I'm off over the road for a pint of Marstons in a mo. There's also various sorts of Jennings there. What can I get you ?
Offered a loan car - is there a catch ? - bell boy
suggest insurer ditches glasses and gets a black book ;-o