Insurance in the Channel Islands. A warning. - henry k
Now that has got your attention it is not about car insurance but health insurance for the driver and passengers.

From 01 April 2009 - ( Not a joke) "Britons travelling to the Channel Islands will no longer be covered for medical treatment should they become ill or injured, after a decision by the Government to end the reciprocal health agreement between the UK and the islands."

From the Daily Telegraph today.

tinyurl.com/d65wx2
Insurance in the Channel Islands. A warning. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Our Government or the Jersey one, whatever it is called?
Insurance in the Channel Islands. A warning. - Optimist
Final para from the article, a quote from Dawn Primarolo, Minister for Health:
"It is vital that UK residents holidaying in Europe carry their EHIC and take out adequate travel insurance to avoid having to pay out unnecessarily for medical costs that could be covered by a valid EHIC." >>

Is it just me or is what she said utter nonsense?

Edited by Optimist on 24/03/2009 at 10:28

Insurance in the Channel Islands. A warning. - Old Navy
Not just you, is it any wonder the country is going down the tubes with these people running it ?

Edited by Old Navy on 24/03/2009 at 10:32

Insurance in the Channel Islands. A warning. - oldnotbold
Ms Primarolo is not the only one. The present Home Secretary has taken waffling to an art form. Despite presiding over the most heavily watched country (ID cards plans, CCTV, email/web monitoring, compulsory submission of travel plans etc.) she is totally in the dark, it seems.
I think the word "not" is missing from the last sentence. An EHIC covers some things and travel insurance covers a lot more ie some things that not covered by the EHIC. Some of the new credit card sized EHICs are coming up to 3 years old and may have expired. I have just checked mine, having been abroad twice this year, and found that it expired on 1/12/08. I did have travel insurance as well but it came as a bit of a surprise. Please check your's and one can renew on line.
Thanks for the tip AS, I didnt realise they had an expiry date. Ours are good till 2011.
Missed the edit:

I see from the website that they can be valid from between 3 and 5 years, we have 5 year ones.
EHIC Renewal - Armitage Shanks {p}
Further to my last - initial issues can be applied for on line but, due to a website glitch, they cannot be renewed on line. Ring 01912127500 and it can be done over the phone - very good service. Phone answered on the first ring, done and dusted in under 2 minutes, new one in the post. A result!
Insurance in the Channel Islands. A warning. - doctorchris
The "reciprocal health agreement" is a joke.
Most EU countries have enough restrictions in place to make it almost impossible for UK citizens to access their state health systems and I'm sure the Channel Islands will make sure that these restrictions are put into place.
However, the universality and easy access to our health care system means that very often it's just not worth the hassle for those working the system to apply charges.
This is particularly the case where immigrants with no spoken English are allowed access to the system but, for example, a UK citizen who has retired to Jersey will not be eligible for NHS care.
Insurance in the Channel Islands. A warning. - jc2
The Channel Islands are neither part of the EU nor the UK.
Insurance in the Channel Islands. A warning. - Smileyman
I received a letter in the post telling me my EHIC card had expired - and renewed it on line Sunday fine.

Now I presume the motor induistry has it act together and still offers insurance for C I as part of the normal domestic policy?
Smiley person - you have done twice as well as me then! That said the telephone renewal was really easy, see earlier post. They are going to have to send out millions of renewal notices over the years. DVLA can afford it as the cost can be factored into their charges. EHIC is "free" but the postage costs will have to come from somewhere.