Car damaged by workshop - iffy repair. - systemrecovery
i took my car to have a new part on it. the car was involved in an accident whilst at the garage. this resulted in having doors, windows,front wing replaced plenty of filler in the car, mainly to the back of the car the piece that runs up past the boots window and rear door window towards the roof. All parts were second hand sanded down and resprayed, the gaps in the doors are all uneven, and when closing the bonnet only half the bonnet shuts tight, im unsure if the garage has insurance it wasnt used on my car. i was wondering if i could get a mechanic to do an independant inspection or is there a firm i should contact who does this. im unhappy because the car isnt in the same condition as when i left it at the garage. i had to have a breakdown company come and collect me, when i picked the car up, after a few hours of driving it broke down, they seem to think the chasis is twisted.

subject line altered to reflect question

Edited by Pugugly on 22/03/2009 at 20:43

Car damaged by workshop - iffy repair. - welshlad
this is a no brainer really trading standards should be your first port of call the garage is responsible for your car being repaired to a standard of your car being returned to you as near to the condition it was in when you took it to them, i would have a look at the VIN plates make sure they dont have shiney new rivets holding them in place because then it may not even be your car, for the damaged caused to your car i find it difficult to believe the accident happened 'in the garage'. i would also contact the police because it really sounds like theres more to it then what you've been told
Car damaged by workshop - iffy repair. - Rattle
I think you probably needed to have got some advice before you let the garage repaired it. I would have also insisted that the job is done through the insurance company and at an approved body shop.

My friends car has just come back from the bodyshop and you really would not know its ever been in an accident every panal looks perfect probably more straight than when it left the factory!
Car damaged by workshop - iffy repair. - L'escargot
My friends car has just come back from the bodyshop and you really would not
know its ever been in an accident every panal looks perfect probably more straight than
when it left the factory!

When panels have been replaced I can invariably tell merely by comparing welds on one side of the car with those on the other side. Bodyshops can't replicate the original welds. Similarly, the surface finish of resprayed panels is always different from that of factory-sprayed panels.

You just need to look carefully.