1999 1.8 Strange noise like humming - wazzow
Hi,

I have just bought a 1999 Vectra 1.8 T reg. There is a strange humming like noise when I am not accelerating.

When I accelerate then take my foot off the pedal, the noise will start. It stays on until I am either idling for around 5 seconds or I start accelerating again. The noise is also there when I first start the car until it is idling for a while.

There is also a buzzing noise when I open the drivers door like the lights are still on but they are definately not on!

Any ideas?
1999 1.8 Strange noise like humming - SpamCan61 {P}
Not sure about the first problem, in terms of the second one, are the keys still in the ignition, or the indicators left on? Either will cause an annoying buzz.
The keys are not in the ignition and there are no lights or indicators on.
1999 1.8 Strange noise like humming - Dynamic Dave
The keys are not in the ignition and there are no lights or indicators on.

Does the ignition switch 'pop' out when the key is removed, and does the steering lock operate?
Does the ignition switch 'pop' out when the key is removed and does the steering
lock operate?

In short, yes and yes.
1999 1.8 Strange noise like humming - Dynamic Dave
The noise is also there when I first start the car until it is idling for a while.

That sounds like it could be the Exhaust Gas Recirculation or Secondary Air Injection system.

tinyurl.com/dz2kvm
That sounds like it could be the Exhaust Gas Recirculation or Secondary Air Injection system.

Anything I can do to check this or is it a garage job?
I have been told that the noise may be coming from the gearbox. Is there a way to check the gearbox oil level?