Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Old Navy
I think good, wouldnt have a car without it. Maybe because most of my driving is done north of Carlisle in light traffic compared to the more manic parts of the UK.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - tyro
I generally dislike bells and whistles, but I like cruise control. I've never owned a car with it, and wouldn't be prepared to fork out much for it, but when I've had it on hire cars, I've liked it.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Lud
My sister used it in New Zealand. But she had to set it a bit slow to avoid coming up on the conservatively-driven other traffic.

The first car I drove with cruise control, a Mercedes 280 coupe, surged in a way that could be alarming when the CC was switched on. It was a great car, solid as a rock, but I didn't like the cruise control.

I am hardly ever on a road where it won't need to be overridden within a couple of minutes. And on an empty road, isn't it a bit soporific?

I don't like it, and my guess is that other impatient or press-on drivers don't like it either. Perhaps on the right road, when one is in the mood... but when will that be?
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - commerdriver
Love it, would always specify it on a car given the choice. I use mine a lot, in suburban situations as well as dual carriageways/motorways. Did take a bit of practice to get used to when and how to use it but since I habitually keep a good distance between me and the car in front it didn't take me too long.
For those who drove with them in the past, today's ones are much smoother, probably because so much of engine management etc is electronic now.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - redviper
I thing its great - i dont have it on my car and i dont miss it when im in my car - however its great for motorway cruising - and for setting to the speed limit when going through those average speed traps - set it to the speed limit and go through no probs
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - redviper
forgot to say, I get to use it when I drive my girlfriends C4, really easy to use.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - aylesby
I do not get much chance to use it as the roads are so busy. Managed the first 20 miles out of Hull once on a Sunday.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Manatee
With practice it becomes as natural as using the accelerator, no matter how many ons and offs. I frequently use it in speed limits I can't afford to ignore, when they are much lower than the natural speed for the road. There are a lot of these now that 30 limits have been joined up between nearby settlements, and nearly all the A roads in Oxfordshire are now 50.

I don't turn it off with the brake pedal as a rule - always use the buttons which are under my right thumb.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Westpig
Manatee,

do you play a little game... that entails you anticipating when to press the on button, for a really smooth transition, with no gaps...and get annoyed with yourself if you get it wrong

just curious
Westpig, yes I do I suppose - I wouldn't expect a passenger to notice me using it unless they were looking out for it or noticed the light on the instrument panel. That's one reason why I don't turn it off with the brake pedal.

I like to think that my driving is no different with or without it, apart from the ability to maintain an even 30/40 or whatever. If the traffic slows I knock it off and pick up the throttle and back off gently to maintain separation - this doesn't require mega concentration any longer, I barely notice I'm doing it. I'm guessing one of the reasons that people behind seem to yo-yo is because they hang on to the cruise too long.

I did notice to begin with that it wasn't quite so easy to switch seamlessly between cruise/foot with a drive by wire accelerator as with a conventional direct accelerator linkage. My old Scorpio would move the pedal in cruise so all I had to do was put my foot on it to pick up the drive - on the CRV the pedal is always in the 'off' position if my foot isn't on it. Irritated me to begin with but I hadn't thought about it for ages so I must have got used to that.
good....

on motorways or dual carriageways i'll set my own limit and stick to it via the cruise... instead of sometimes adjusting upwards to get past people or clearing someone or a group that i'm uncomfortable staying too close to (e.g. someone not paying much attention or constantly adjusting their speed)...

and then potentially leaving myself with fines/penalty points because i haven't adjusted down enough or my temporary blip upwards was unfortunately just at the wrong time

the down side is 'forever overtakes' if the person you're overtaking speeds up a bit and you don't want to break your cruise cycle

the other thing is the cruise on my car returns very quickly to its original speed on its own if you temporarily turn it off (e.g you've caught someone in lane 2, but have to wait momentarily for lane 3)....my wife's one doesn't and hovers for a moment, before adjusting itself...which is irritating for people behind, who no doubt think you've throttled off and when they decide to overtake, you've speeded up a bit....so i've taken to overriding it with the throttle and getting back up to speed myself, then letting it settle back to the original speed..wish it wouldn't do it though

Edited by Westpig on 10/02/2009 at 15:18

Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - FotheringtonThomas
the down side is 'forever overtakes' if the person you're overtaking speeds up a bit
and you don't want to break your cruise cycle

In my rather old car, you set the speed, and if you need to go faster, press the accellerator - when you let go of it, it returns to the set speed.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - CGNorwich
Have it on my present car but for the life of me I don't see the point of it. What is so difficult in maintaining a constant speed on an empty road? I just don't understand what problem cruise control is designed to solve Would gladly swap it for another cup holder:-)
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - ForumNeedsModerating
Good. Had it on most of my cars since the 80s - first instance being an XJ6: lovely surge from the straight 6 on 'resume', espcially coming out of clear rondabouts.

One nice thing about CC in my view, is that takes you out of the quasi-competitive situation you can unconsciously get into sometimes when travelling along m-ways or expressways - it just doesn't matter what others do, you can just cruise on serenely (safety first though of course - not good to block lanes or get too close..)

I play a game sometimes on the fairly empty roads up here: use only the CC - no brakes or accelerator - with coasting down instead of brakes & incremental/decremental on the CC for going faster/slower.

Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - movilogo
I think it's not really useful.

In USA, where you have hundreds of miles of straight road, it is necessary. But in small country with twisty roads it's not really necessary.

Then again, I dislike all automated controls like auto headlight/wiper, automated manuals etc.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - DP
I've got it for the first time on the Volvo. I do use it occasionally, but if it ever broke I probably wouldn't bother getting it fixed. Can happily live without it.

Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - rtj70
Had it on my Golf GTI and Passat and used it a lot. You could use the stalk control to slow down and speed up without looking.

Had it on the Mondeo Ghia and almost never used it. I would have to look at the steering wheel for the buttons. If I used it more maybe it would have been easier to use but the VW control was so intuitive.

Now have it on a Mazda6 and it is again easy to use without looking at the wheel. So use it a bit. Roads often too busy to make proper use. And got out of the habit with the Mondeo.

It will almost certainly be on my next car if I use it or not.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Great on the long camera controlled 50mph sections of the M1. I overtake most things when used in conjunction with my GPS speedo to maintain a true 50mph.
Also very useful in urban areas where distractions/hills may cause creep over 30/40mph.
Wonderful in France and Spain where it is possible and legal to cruise at a steady 80mph for hours!
I do not use it in wet or slippery conditions for safety reasons and generally accelerate manually up to speed before engaging cruise.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - David Horn
Love it. Keep meaning to splash out the £175 to get it retrofitted to the Passat.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - 659FBE
Excellent device which has saved me quite a few low speed speeding tickets. The VAG system fitted to my Superb works well and is intuitive to use. Developing the technique of disengaging it then re-engaging it seamlessly is worthwhile.

In my experience, cruise works best on the later "drive by wire" cars. Some of the early American designed efforts were crude and horrible.

Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - mike hannon
Very useful in quiet rural France, and on the autoroutes as a rule. I miss it when driving the C3 but I can't imagine it can be such a help when used with a manual box.
Never used it much in the UK though - even on motorways it was difficult to keep a steady speed.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - henry k
I like it but the version on my 98 Mondeo has a significant shortcoming.
The buttons are very NOISY unlike the 99 Focus.
The click click does not instill confidence in my driving from a passengers point of view , unless I tell them about the poor Ford installation, even then it is still an irritating situation.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Mapmaker
Agree on playing game to make sure that nobody would notice the jerking.

Is it essential? No.

Best use is in urban situations where whizzing through a town/village at 30mph on cruise means your eyes need not be distracted from what is going on outside the car. Excellent kit then, IMO.

On a motorway, it can lead to some slightly strange cruising if the road is busy. On an empty motorway I'm not sure I like it - the tendency to send you to sleeeeeeeeep; also taking away the need to have the right foot ready for the brake pedals is slightly alarming.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Happy Blue!
Whilst I would not specifically order it as an option, all my most recent cars have had it as standard and I do miss it when a rental car does not have it. My main use is like most people; i.e. north of Preston on the M6, but also if I am cruising around the M60, and am not going too fast, I can set it at about 65mph and let it take the strain.
Good where usable. May detract from concentration. Possible to over-use it, e.g. use where not really suitable. I have used it sometimes & it's OK.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - smokie
I use it all the time, in towns and on motorways. It was one of the few must-haves when I recently changed my car. I don't particularly play games with it, but I used to play one with the brake light on a Senator - which came on when you started the car and went off the first time you touched the brake - how far can I go without turning off the light? Forward planning and good judgement required for maximum distances!!
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Brian Tryzers
Certainly not indifferent - I have firm opinions but they're split between good and bad.

Good:
As others have said, on French autoroutes and other truly clear, cruisable motorways where you can stay in lane 1 and maintain a comfortable speed.

Very easy and discreet to use with the S60's steering wheel buttons.

Reduces tension and fatigue in the right ankle when I can rest the foot comfortably on the wheelarch instead.

Bad:
The Verso's tacked-on control stalk, out of view and reach at about 5 o'clock on the steering wheel. Inconvenient and verging on dangerous since it's hard to cancel in a hurry. Hardly used in this car.

Using CC in traffic. If you're in lane 2 or 3, you're not cruising, you're overtaking, and you have a duty to pass the slower vehicle in a reasonable time and return to cruising in lane 1. If it's a solitary truck, you'll be past it in no time and back in your cruising lane, so no need to change anything, but if it's a line of cars moving only slightly slower than your cruise and you crawl past in one of Westpig's 'forever' overtakes, you're no better than a lane-blocking truck driver; worse, if anything, because you could easily do something about it.
>>but if it's a line of cars moving only slightly slower than your cruise

...then you press the right pedal to increase speed to reduce the overtaking time - cruise remains set.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Chris White
Definitely good, and as above, in a motorway setting I try to drive with the cruise control buttons (Volvo S60, on the steering wheel) rather than brake or accelerator, although there are the occasions when you need to accelerate to avoid very long overtakes.......
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - gordonbennet
Can't remember the last time i used it on the pick up, and swmbo who wanted it in the first place doesn't either, even for the 30 limit she has to go through with 2 camera's.

I do use it on the truck, but only for maintaining a constant 50, other wise its full bore foot to the boards for a heady 54....swoon.

far better than that was a MAN truck i used to have that instead of cruise had a variable limiter, but you still had to keep your foot on the throttle, but you could keep your foot hard down and stay at the pre set max, i always thought that was much better.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Bilboman
Potentially very good: I like the idea of setting a speed on a long straight stretch and being able to spend more time looking ahead and in mirrors, and less glancing down at the speedo.
In my Focus III it's poorly executed: the five buttons are slotted into the wheel adjacent to the boss and have neither touchy feely bumps (Braille for the sighted, if you will) nor retro illumination. (It's obvious, thoughtless, penny pinching: my 1984 Montego had retro lit indicator and wiper stalks; fibre optics can't be that expensive in the 21st century!) I have consequently more than once hit "Resume" instead of "+" and experienced a stronger than expected surge!
This sort of device should be 100% intuitive, but it simply isn't.
Most annoying of all is that the "+" button has to be held down constantly to increase (or decrease) speed; on a Passat, for example, one touch is good for a 10 kph boost, which is as it should be.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - DrS
Have had it on my last 4 or 5 cars, and wouldn't be without it. Use it daily, even around town to avoid inadvertently creeping over speed limits.

Interestingly, had cruise control on my last motorbike.
Incredibly difficult - like almost impossible - to change lanes on the motorway without also using throttle control. Had never realised how you intuitively work the throttle as you manouvre, without thinking.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Old Navy
In my Focus III it's poorly executed: the five buttons are slotted into the wheel
adjacent to the boss and have neither touchy feely bumps (Braille for the sighted if
you will)

My 05 Focus Mk2 (current shape) has the five buttons on the wheel. The two on the left are system on/off and it only requires swithing on once per journey, it defaults off with the "ignition". The centre switch on the right (the set button) has "braille" bumps.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Snakey
For the first time I've got it on my car. Never really use it on the daily commute as my speed fluctuates too much for it too be of use.

Where it is handy is on a long 300 mile motorway run, after an hour or so you can switch it on to give your right foot a rest for 5 minutes. And the novelty of accelerating by pressing a button still appeals a bit!
the novelty of accelerating by pressing a button still appeals a bit!

Yup... also in my car's manual, it says that you must take care not to put your foot under the accelerator, in case the CC gives it some welly (going uphill, for instance).
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Brian Tryzers
So does the pedal move by itself when the CC is on? Don't think either of ours does that - and in the Verso there's nowhere to put your spare foot but under the accelerator.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Alanovich
On our Touran, there isn't even space under the pedal as it's floor mounted. Having the cruise on is extremely uncomfortable for the right leg, so I don't bother. It's one of the few things I dislike about the car.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - gordonbennet
So does the pedal move by itself when the CC is on

The 80's F90 MAN truck does on overrun, you could feel the pedal being pulled down to the floor.
I'm sure this post helps a lot here..;)

Those with cc and diesel auto's does your car change down too easily like ours.

Travelling about 60 to 70ish CC on, the vehicle will very quickly change down to a lower gear on an incline, though it is very high geared in top anyway..something like 2200rpm at 80ish.
CC off, and with gentle throttle application it will climb the same bank and stay in top gear quite happily.

That probably means that with CC on the throttle opens fully to maintain speed instead of the gentle feathering that the foot can achieve, maybe the top gear in lock up is getting the max throttle position when cruise engages power?
On my car, it is said to - however, it's quite an old model. Maybe newer ones don't.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - rtj70
None of mine moved the pedal. If you resumed a previous speed on CC that was a lot higher than you're going it does tend to accelerate quickly.

On the VWs I had there was a foot rest to the right of the accelerator. On the Mondeo there wasn't. Which is silly - where are you meant to put your foot?
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - davidh
The vauxhall CC is clever in my manual 07 Astra. If you knock the car out of gear with cruise on, it will rev up only very slightly and gets the gist that there's no load on the engine and drops out after about a second. Similarly if you try to engage it when coasting in neutral it revs the engine slightly and soon gets the gist that theres no load and drops out straight away. Even if you try to trick it by holding the revs at say 2000 it just knows! Spooky.

Edited by davidh on 11/02/2009 at 16:04

Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - henry k
VERY BAD in one specific situation.

If the driver is suddenly taken unwell with cruise selected does SWMO or the passenger know what to do.

I am astounded that my handbrake does NOT switch off the cruise control.
( and the hazard light switch is on top of the steering column shroud. )

What bright spark "designed" these things?

Does the handbrake in your car switch off the CC?
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - mike hannon
All the Honda CCs I've owned move the pedal - there's a servo under the bonnet to do it. It works fine and can be cancelled by steering wheel button, fascia button or almost literally breathing on the brake pedal so the brake lights don't flicker.
Don't know about the installation on 'modern' Hondas (last ten years) though.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Harleyman
I rarely use the CC in the car (Hyundai Coupe) unless I'm on a clear piece of motorway; but I regularly use the one in the lorry. The latter having an automatic box, I can negotiate a roundabout on a dual carriageway, switch the CC back on and it'll go straight back up to 50. Both foot-brake and exhaust brake/retarder kick the CC out so I've plenty of control over it.

The Hyundai one seems a bit crude, but then again it's a 2001 car so later ones may be more sohisticated.
So does the pedal move by itself when the CC is on?

See my post above tinyurl.com/dd8laj

Drive by wire doesn't. The CC on the CRV is also smart enough to accelerate at a sensible rate on resume, rather than flat out.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Pebble
Cruise control is a must. When I drive from Las Vegas to Reno or Los Angeles (400/300 miles respectively), I get on the Interstate, set the cruise at 55 and reeeelaaaaax. Ahhh...pass the Pringles, please, we'll be in Pasadena in 5 hours.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The cruise control in my Hyundai Coupe SIII might still be considered crude. It does not cut out if the handbrake is engaged,or knocked out of gear and the pedal is pulled down by it. I think it is great though.
BTW why set the cruise at 55mph on a US interstate?
When I was in California, Arizona and Nevada a couple of years ago the limit was 75mph.
Never was a satnav screen so dull blank with a straight red line. We got excited when a railway line was promised soon.
BTW why set the cruise at 55mph on a US interstate? When I was in California Arizona and Nevada a couple of years ago the limit was 75mph.

I thought the same...whenever i've been over there, and stuck to about 70 - 75 having been warned how hot they are for speeding tickets....there have been vasts amount of the traffic coming past me...inc lorries!
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Pebble
>> BTW why set the cruise at 55mph on a US interstate? When I was
in California Arizona and Nevada a couple of years ago the limit was 75mph.
>>

It still is 75, and people blast their way past me at 80, 85 or more, (looks a little scary when I'm doing 50-55) but life's too short to be so wound up that I have to hurryhurryhurry like that. That said, it is nice to be able to drive those roads at 75 if I need to--just set the cruise and forget it, the next town is 50 miles of desert and tumbleweed away.
Cruise control, good, bad , or indifferent? - Bilboman
Urban legend time. A friend was in holiday in the States a few years ago and read a story in the local paper. A group of poorly educated Mexican immigrants had clubbed together to buy a minivan and were driving north through California when they decided to have a game of cards in the back. The driver promptly set the cruise and, er, joined his mates in the back, believing the van to be on full autopilot...