Focus at a Ford dealer - Possible to haggle? - Rattle
I have seen a W reg Focus at a proper Ford dealer, its £2000 and has 57,000 miles, 12 monts MOT, 6 months warranty and comprehensive health check. It seems ideal but £2k is a little out of my budget unless I can get a good finance deal (I was going to buy 50% cash and 50% credit card but at £2k I would be skint).

Therefore I would need to get this car down to around £1700, would I be laughed at by making this sort of offer? The problem is I think the car is already fairly priced and it comes with an exellent after sales package including two free MOTs so it might be a bit tricky.

Focus at a Ford dealer - Possible to haggle? - T Lucas
Just ask.
Will do :) I am thinking its over priced anyway, I don't need to spent that money, so will try £1700 or just leave it. I am still ill and in bed anyway so not upto viewing cars, if its still there in a weeks time it will be easier to haggle, but there is no point going to view it the first day its there, I know some of their cars have been sat their for weeks, where as others seem to sell at this garage over night. Its not exactly a rare car is it.

Focus at a Ford dealer - Possible to haggle? - OldSock

"The problem is I think the car is already fairly priced"......

then six minutes later:

"I am thinking its over priced anyway".....

Looks like we're in for a long one :-)
Focus at a Ford dealer - Possible to haggle? - DP
As the old saying goes, "if you don't ask...."

It's a good, but not stunning price. My neighbour has just sold his mint 03 plate 1.6 Ghia with a genuine 30k on the clock for £3k, admittedly privately.

Maybe they will be prepared to move on the "free MOT" and other add-ons to give you a better price, bearing in mind you effectively get a 6 month warranty by law anyway.

My advice would be to ask the question.
The law always confuses me, I thought it was 3 months? Also why do so many traders say they have no warranty with their cars? Are they illegaly selling the cars?
The law always confuses me I thought it was 3 months? Also why do so
many traders say they have no warranty with their cars? Are they illegaly selling the
cars?

All explained here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43

Oh, and have a look on Autotrader - there are loads around the £1500 mark. 99/2000 cars with around 100k, many of which have had the big cambelt service at 100k, so you wouldn't need to worry about that. In fact, in that respect a 100,000 miler is probably a better bet than a 90,000 miler.

These are well built cars which shrug off high mileage. I took an 02 car to 100k with nothing other than servicing, tyres and a replacement auxiliary belt and tensioner. Still drove perfectly at the end.

Look at the mileages on some of them. Loads at 180-190k+ and one at 274k!
Yeah thats where I found this Autotrader :). I have always been put off high milleage cars yet its quite stupid as I do low milleage anyway, a newer body is more important to me than an engine with low milleage. My last car had plenty of life left in terms of engine, but I sold it because it was rotten.

A mate bought one at 80k to replace his aging 106, he has now done 140,000 and said he has spent a lot less on repairs than he did in the 10k he did in his 106.

Mind you with my luck what ever car I buy will probably snap its cambelt and the gearbox will fall out on the A55 while being flashed for doing 50.1mph in a 50.
Focus at a Ford dealer - Possible to haggle? - Armitage Shanks {p}
What APR are you going to be paying on your credit card. A bank loan would probably be a lower %age if you can get one - 8% is a typical bank rate. Of course there 0% deals over 15 months on some cards so try for one them, perhaps?
Credit card is 8.9% APR, the problem is on smaller car loans the APR tends to be high, I am self employed and although have credit history and never missed a payment, the fact I live at home and am still young counts against me too.

0% over 15 months thats pretty good I would imagine you need to meet strict criteria though, all mine wanted to know is household income and if I have any defaults, no to both have a credit card sir - its no wonder we have a credit crunch!
Focus at a Ford dealer - Possible to haggle? - ifithelps
Rattle,

Looks like you're about to buy a decent car that should be reliable.

Don't do it, son, you'll have nothing to post about and we'll have nothing to read. :)
hehe probably can't afford it anyway, I am going to at least look at it though :) On a side note how does the bodywork of a Focus generaly last? If this car is as genuine as the add, the car mechanicaly last another 10 years on my milleage (not that I will keep it that long, but I have to provide my dad with cars as part of my living arrangment) so it could be a potential buy to keep in the family which does mean long term ownership. I think DP has touched on this but there is a good chance it will need a new cambelt and stuff like that anyway and I won't buy unless this dosn;t need doing for a few years.
Focus at a Ford dealer - Possible to haggle? - gpmartin
Cambelt on the Focus is, I think, 100,000 or 10 years - so a little while to go according to the manufacturer's recommendations. Having said that, I wouldn't leave it until 100k - the cambelt tensioner on my 1.6 99/T started to disintegrate at 92k and the rest of the engine had a lucky escape.

Reliable and economical apart from that, though, and should celebrate its 110,000th mile before the end of this week.
But this Focus is almost ten years old on the original belt most likely so it will need doing in my ownership. Its £200 I would rather spend on tyres or beer so its a bit put off. This where a cheaper higher milleage Focus may make sense.
My advice would be to find a tidy, full history 1.6 petrol example, as close to 100k as you can that's had that big cambelt service. £1500 should be plenty. 100,000 miles on a well cared for Focus is nothing, trust me, and if you're keeping it in the family, take advantage of the psychological 100,000 mile price drop, and buy a cheap car with plenty of life left in it.

If you're looking at a car where the belt is due, get some money knocked off (£250 would be fair). Maybe even haggle a belt change into the deal with the Ford dealer on this car if it's a particularly nice example and it's affordable.

Oh, and I have never seen a rusty Focus, even the early ones.
Focus at a Ford dealer - Possible to haggle? - Lygonos
If you are serious about a bid go straight to the dealer principal with your offer rather than one of the sales monkeys - you don't sound like you enjoy the bull$h1t you get from salesmen so I would give your best and final offer straight to the guy who can say aye/no.

Haven't bought from a monkey for years, and if the dealer is looking to shift stock you'll be surprised how quickly you'll complete the deal with a good discount.

Don't sound hesitant or apologetic when you speak to him - it's purely business, not a relationship building exercise.
Focus at a Ford dealer - Possible to haggle? - Andrew-T
All dealer cars except the cheapest have a sizeable markup to allow for a part-ex, which I don't think you have? Offer £1500 cash to start with, and see what happens. If they don't take it seriously, walk away.
Focus at a Ford dealer - Possible to haggle? - quizman
Rattle, I have just looked on Autotrader. There are dozens and dozens of 1.6 Focus for under £1600. Some of them have full Ford history, many have high mileage, but some are in the 80,000 mile range. Why don't you have a look?

PS I'm glad that we are now in agreement on tyres!
Went to see it today well just had a quick glanse, I am still ill so was not up to speaking to sales staff. It had a £2500 sticker on it, the tyres looked ok but were all different makes including a cheapo one at the front. It was just another Focus and the 1.4 is no cheaper to insure than the 1.6 for some odd reason so the 1.6 would be better for me.
Focus at a Ford dealer - Possible to haggle? - Viz
Just to let you know, I have had my mk 1 Y reg Focus for 7 years. It is a 1.8 petrol and has now covered 122k miles.
The handbook said to replace to cambelt at 80k miles, then the service dept changed this to 100k miles. I had mine done at 91k miles, one of the pulleys was split in two places. I had a lucky escape !
The only other problem i've had is the idle air control valve failure. That cost about £80 to replace at a Rapid Fit.

Good luck