Need short term off-the-road insurance - NowWheels
I have just purchased a car for a friend. I will be picking it up next week, and it comes with 1 week's free insurance which will allow me to drive it home and put it on my driveway. It will remain there for about 3 or 4 weeks, until my friend's schedule allows it to be collected, and that point she will be able to switch over her own insurance to cover it, and drive it away.

In the meantime, I need to insure it against theft and vandalism etc. I don't need the DVLA-required third-party insurance, because I won't be driving it after I have brought it home, but after a bit of quick searching I haven't found anyone selling that sort of policy. I know that it used to exist, because my father once insured a car in that way while it was garaged for a few months, and I can see several situations in which people might still want that sort of cover.

The best I have found so far is Norwich Union's short-term cover, but because it is designed for actually driving a car it works out a bit expensive (over £100 for 28 days). Any suggestions on where to look for fire+theft-only cover?

So far the best idea I have had is to try a broker such as Adrian Flux or HIC Insurance, but I see no mention of this on their websites, and I hope that maybe someone has a better idea.

{made non make/model specific, as this question could apply to any car, not just a Vectra-C}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/01/2009 at 12:57

Need short term off-the-road insurance - Pugugly
Here's a test for your insurance company ! Mine is Royal Sun Alliance with an old fashioned Office based broker. If I need to do this - which I do every couple of years I phone them and they arrange it for me. The last time was when I went to France in someone else's car (he was with m) and I wanted to be fully comp. It cost me a tenner on my own policy for a cover note covering me for everything I needed.
Need short term off-the-road insurance - astrabob
Recently when I needed to insure a car for a month I used www.ecarinsurance.co.uk
Need short term off-the-road insurance - ex-Triumph man
I agree with Pugugly. Going in to an insurance broker in your high street is a better solution as you can explain face to face with a human exactly what you want and why you want it. Based upon the information you give, and cover you require, they can usually arrange bespoke cover accordingly.
Need short term off-the-road insurance - hxj

Checked your house contents insurance?
Need short term off-the-road insurance - SlidingPillar
What about the reverse? Why does not your friend speak to their insurance company? Some years ago when I bought another car, the company I was with sold a month of two cars on the same policy. Old car was now TPTF and the newer one was comprehensive. At the time, quite commonly sold (as for me) for the purpose of selling the old car.

Ok so this would be backwards but I'd have thought it was worth asking. Yes, I did have to pay, but it was a small sum (can't remember the exact cost).

After all, they can only say no!

Edited by SlidingPillar on 11/01/2009 at 12:07

Need short term off-the-road insurance - Blue {P}
I got some off the road cover for my old TF through Footman James, but that was aimed at the classic car market, it was extended to cars like mine which are often left languishing over the winter but I'm not sure that they would cover the Vectra/

I would ask your friend to sort it, unless of course they still owe you for the car!

Need short term off-the-road insurance - martint123
What about the reverse

Indeed - when I bought my present car and changed the insurance over (Direct Line) I enquired about keeping insurance going on teh old Renault 5 until I got rid. They gave me cover and a covernote for a month for no extra charge (other than teh admin fee for changing cars anyway).

Agreed about proper brokers though, they know the business. If you just want a month "fire & theft" policy them there is no money in it for the web/tv companies, itwould all be soaked up in commission and admin fees.
Need short term off-the-road insurance - NowWheels
Thanks for all the suggestions. Problem solved, 'cos friend's insurers have agreed to cover it.

The car was bought on repay-me-as-and-when-you can arrangement, and I didn't want to run the risk of it being trashed or stolen while under my control before my friend has had any use out of it.
Need short term off-the-road insurance - Blue {P}
Now that's some serious trust you've got there!