04 2.2 ctdi Tailgate strut failure - Ibiza
Has anybody suffered the failure of the tailgate struts and if so have they been replaced under warranty?
My car is now just over 4 years old (75000 miles) and it would seem that the bill to replace the two tailgate struts is approximately £450.
The classic symptom for this failure is that when you open the tailgate electrically it will not hold in place and closes again. If you open the boot by hand although some times it will stay up, on occasions it will drop down and close. This only occurs in cold weather at present????

Another thing showing sign of wear is the steering ? there seem to be some sort of take up in the steering column that can be felt on the steering wheel as the revs pick up from idle when pulling away.
04 2.2 ctdi Tailgate strut failure - Quicksilver
I had an 04 Accord 2.2ctdi wagon. The tailgate struts were replaced under warranty, (after the motor assembly was replaced first as this was the "more likely fault"). Replaced at 50k miles. Apparently the struts are less likely to fail than the motor. Seems to be a common type of failure. Honda might contribute otherwise probably expensive to fix. Maybe something just to put up with?

Q.
04 2.2 ctdi Tailgate strut failure - Bill Payer
Perhaps (gently) suggesting that it's a safety issue - the tailgate might fall on a small child's head :-) ) might elicit a positive response from Honda. The next step would be suggesting that you were thinking of contacting VOSA about it and maybe Honda ought to recall every Accord Tourer ever built to have its struts replaced.
04 2.2 ctdi Tailgate strut failure - Statistical outlier
Hi Ibiza,

I have exactly the same problem with some take up in the steering column on my 05 2.2 diesel. I asked the garage to look at it during the 75k service, and although the service manager could feel what I meant, they didn't find anything wrong.

Theory is that it's engine mounts - it's far more noticeable when the engine bay is warm, perhaps them softening up?