Taxing my car - guppy02
Hi guys,

I?m hoping someone can help me on this matter. The car tax charge change next year.
My car tax is for renewal this month. My question is if i take out 6 months car tax now, will i be able to tax my car for 12 months on the current charges in 6 month time.

I?m not sure when the changes would be. So am i basically better of in the long run to have 6 months tax or should i just take 12 months now?

Hope that makes sense :)

Edited by Pugugly on 21/10/2008 at 19:07

Taxing My Car - jc2
Tax for 12 months now!!
Taxing My Car - guppy02
So when do the new charges take place?
Taxing My Car - martint123

It doesn't matter really. If you want to save cash when it goes up, cash the tax in on the last day of the month before it goes up and re-tax it on the 1st.
Taxing My Car - Bill Payer

1st April.

So if your tax is going up, then it's too late. The latest possible was tax disks expiring end Aug, so you could have renewed for 6mths and then can buy another one to run from 1st March. That's exactly what I have done.

If your tax is going down, then buy 6mths now, then the next renewal will be at the lower rate.
Taxing My Car - guppy02
SQ
If your tax is going down then buy 6mths now then the next renewal will
be at the lower rate.

So basicaly my tax is due 1month two late :(.

If i got 6months now my tax disk would be due on the end of April 2009. I guess that means i would have to pay the new charge then :(

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/10/2008 at 19:31

Taxing my car - L'escargot
I've seen it alleged that "Page 73 of the budget (page 17 of that pdf) item 4.71" says ...

"Budget 2008 announces that vehicle excise duty (VED) refunds will be restricted to
the registered keeper of a vehicle and applicable only when a vehicle has: been stolen,
destroyed, sold or otherwise disposed of; become eligible for a nil licence; been declared as statutorily off-the-road; or been permanently exported.
This will help ensure that motorists cannot avoid paying a pre-announced rate of VED. "

Make of it what you will.