04 1.9TDi Central Locking / Alarm problem - Dulwich Estate
A couple of weeks ago when I parked on a channel ferry I switched off the two alarm switches in the driver's door pocket: Internal Movement and Incline Alarm. I always do this as I don't want to look a twit with my alarm going off when we we all return to collect our cars after a bumby crossing.

This time I did look a twit with the alarm going off. I couldn't use the remote on the key - it had no effect. I unlocked the driver's door with the key and the very feeble alarm (EU rules I think) only stopped when I put the key in the ignition slot and turned it on whence a "clunk" told me that the doors had all unlocked.

So far so good, but this is now the only way to both lock and then get in to the car and it's been a pain for two weeks in France. My handbook tells me nothing about re-setting things. Is it a fault or can I reset it by holding the key in the ignition in a certain place for a certain time? Or maybe something similar.

Edited by Dulwich Estate on 06/10/2008 at 17:08

Anybody know anything? It ought to be a pretty standard VW Group alarm / central locking system.
04 1.9TDi Central Locking / Alarm problem - Screwloose

You could try:-

With car unlocked; push the lock button; manually lock and unlock within 30 secs; wait one minute; try the remote.
Thanks Screwloose - I tried it but unfortunately it didn't change anything. I was pressed for time earlier today so couldn't fiddle about too much. I'll try again later today with variations of that theme.
04 1.9TDi Central Locking / Alarm problem - Screwloose

You could try any button on the remote - if it's forgotten it's key-codes, then a dealer's equipment is needed to re-enter them.
Still no good, so it looks like an expensive trip to a dealer then.
I've just returned from the main dealer. Some reprogramming was needed that the indie couldn't do. £61 inc VAT and it's all sorted. They say if the problem re-occurs I might be wanting a convenience module @ £500.
04 1.9TDi Central Locking / Alarm problem - adverse camber
you've never had the water in the passenger footwell problem have you?
No - no water, not even when crossing the channel.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the first post.