I Have a Question - Volume 247 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 248 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 247. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Webmaster on 11/09/2008 at 20:15

Annuity? - PhilW
Bearing in mind the very valuable advice I received on here with regard to IFAs a few months ago, can this financially ignorant and recently retired old git ask for further advice?

I receive a pension but also took out a Freestanding Additional Contribution thing. This has a final value of about £14,000.
I have choices: Basically
I can get an annuity of £902 a year (but obviously have to ensure I live for a fair bit longer to "get my money back"!,
take £3500 and get £650 annuity or take the lot to use on the "open market to buy a different annuity.

Are these good deals in the current market?

If I "take the lot" how do they ensure that I take out an annuity with it? Why can't I just blow it on wine, women and new car? (Apart from the fact that SWMBO would soon put a stop to that idea)

Pardon my ignorance! And, yes, I should get out more - which is what I would like to do with the £14,000 before Gordon nicks it all. Thanks in advance.

Phil

Annuity? - jbif
Are these good deals in the current market?

You really need to consult an IFA. [annuity value depends on current mortality predictions, your health, smoking habits, etc.]
But do your homework starting here:
www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/1149249277,45547
Note the comment there : "Anyone with a ?trivial pension', where the total fund at retirement is worth less than £15,000, will be able to simply withdraw the cash, though only 25% of it will be tax free. "

Annuity? - PhilW
Thanks jbif.
1. The last IFA I consulted (on the recommendation of of the people who run my profession's pension fund) took no notice of what I required and recommended that I put all my money in equities which would show good returns in 10 years - I could be dead by then and wanted a combination of stuff, some for immediate access (like a holiday or even perhaps a different car), but he put 90% in equities/long term stuff and left enough for a day trip to Scarborough and a second hand pedal bike). Meanwhile, his commission of several thousand pounds seemed to go to him immediately. This was the second occasion on which I had consulted an IFA and the second occasion when I seemed to be a good source of excellent commission for them! Sorry to all you honest IFAs out there!
2. I saw that on moneysavings expert but could not find out if it meant "less than £15000" in total including the pension from my job or "less than £15000" in total in the AVC.
3. Clicked on a couple of links provided by a Google and they just seemed to lead to sites wanting to sell me their annuities.

Nevertheless, jbif, thanks for reading and responding - much appreciated.

Regards
Phil

Annuity? - Dulwich Estate
PhilW - it all depends on your age. It looks like you have a quote for a straight vanilla pension - no RPI increases and no widows pension. £902 pa suggests it's about 6.5% of the pension amount. This sounds about right at 60+ old.

Take a look in the Sunday Telegraph - that'll show you %ages for typically a £10,000 pension pot - yours I think, will be there or there abouts. Different firms give different rates - it helps if you are sick or smoke.

However good a deal you get - it's still daylight robbery! You can get maybe 0.3% more in any of dozens of Building Societies today and the money will still be yours to pass on to heirs and won't just die with you.

I reckon the whole pensions industry stinks - just because it looks complicated and there's of a bit of tax relief on the way in you get all these freeloaders (oops, I mean advisers) taking their lumps of it before you get it.

There, I feel better now.
Annuity? - PhilW
Thanks DE - but is it possible to just take all the money and put none into an annuity? - which is what I would like to do! I'd like to put it into a savings account of some kind with quick access but also with a good rate of interest, (or more likely, the kids will want to borrow some!) - don't want it tied up in an annuity so that I have to live another 15 years to get money back and if I snuff it SWMBO or kids gets nowt. (who gets the money then?? - bloomin' financial whizz kids I presume)

Thanks
Phil

(Glad you feel better - I still think it all stinks - especially after my endowment policies on the mortgages which I have held since 1976 promised "a surplus £30k for a retirement nest-egg plus a large terminal bonus of 90% of the mortgage" amounted to paying off the mortgage with an excess of £196 - suppose I should be grateful that it covered the mortgage!!)
Annuity? - Pugugly
Mrs P's advise would be to liquidize everything. Most funds are in freefall. Cash into ISA's and other tax efficient pots - Gold looks good.
Annuity? - PhilW
PU,
Sorry, my last post crossed yours - I'm a slow typer!
Can I just take the money and forget annuities? I seem to remember that there is some rule about having to take out an annuity with the money before age of 75 - but what if I am dead by then (given the red wine and cigars consumed pondering this!) or have spent the money anyway........

Or am I just showing my ignorance of financial matters - trouble is, I've always followed the idea that "you can't take it with you" so have tended to spend rather than save (helped immensely for the last 35 years by Mrs W, Miss W and Mr W junior!)

Wish I could buy gold as cheaply as Gordon Brown sells it!!

regards and thanks to Mrs P

Phil
Annuity? - Another John H
>>Mrs P's advise would be to liquidize everything. Most funds are in freefall.

That probably explains why I've had an apologetic letter back from the firms pension department today, instead of a set of figures for (potential) year end retirement, as they can't get figures for the relatively small AVC portion from ******** ****.

I'm beginning to get the nauseous feeling I had when I realised the endowment morgage wasn't going to fully deliver, having had letters for years telling me it was fine.

Oh, carp.
Annuity? - jbif
I saw that on moneysavings expert

The other good source of information is:
www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/
"The Pensions Advisory Service, is an independent non-profit organisation that provides free information, advice and guidance on the whole spectrum of pensions covering State, company, personal and stakeholder schemes."

Their Chief regularly appears on BBC 2 "working lunch" and is a really decent bloke, inspiring confidence about the quality of advice from the whole organisation.

www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/personal_and_st.../

Edited by jbif on 06/09/2008 at 20:57

Annuity? - PhilW
Cheers jbif - will have a look
Phil
Annuity? - jbif
Cheers jbif - will have a look

Phil :
Details here:
www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/occupational_pe...p
www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/personal_and_st...p
www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/miscellaneous/p.../

or failing that:
www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/ask_our_experts/

Annuity? - PhilW
Thanks again jbif - no sitting in front of rubbish on TV tonight - got to do a lot of reading!!

Cheers mate

Phil
Annuity? - PhilW
Well guys, I can't thank you enough for the advice. Had a brief look at jbif's links and thought about Mrs PU's advice.
I gather that, if I "liquidise" I will get 25% of fund tax free and the remainder will be subject to 40% tax.
So, about £3500 "cash" then £11,000 with 40% tax = over £6000, so total will be knocking on towards £10,000 - £4000 goes to Darling Brown to waste.
Otherwise I could sign up for maximum possible annuity of £902 pa and hope I live for another 15 years to get my input back. And if I snuff it next year or next week it's all gone (to who - or whom?) and Mrs W, Miss W and Mr W junior get nowt. I'd rather spend it now and have a good few long trips to France and blow it on decent wine and food. And then if I snuff it next week Mrs W and "kids" will at least get the money and celebrate my demise by raising a glass as they spend the money!! As long as they say "Cheers Dad" I'm happy!!

Oh, and as I spend the cash I will also raise a glass to the "Backroom"!!

My only advice to others much younger than me would be - spend it or stick it under the mattress - anything you hear from our much vaunted financial institutions with regard to "investing for the future" is ...........(can't think of a suitable word to escape the swear filter)

Will make a decision on Monday after the effects of the red stuff has worn off - any other contributions welcome!!

Best wishes
Phil W

PS Just thought of another way of spending it - an HJ Backroom meeting where I buy everyone from the Backroom who has given me good advice a pint or two (I'd even invite HJ himself!!) - that would dispose of £10,000 pretty quickly!!!
Look out for my last post!!
PhilW - a bit of a major edit here: Obviously I've lost touch a bit with the going rates.

Today's DT gives Prudential offering 7.3896% pa for a 65 year old male for a plain pension. Also, Canada Life will give you 6.0084% for a joint life if you are 65 and SWMBO is 60. (NB - No reduction on first death).

These new higher figures still don't change my views of the industry though.

Unfortunately owing to the tax rules - because you had tax relief on payments in to the system you can't just take the lot on its way out and spend it as you wish. You must get an annuity for 75% of the sum as a minimum. You must also take it by 75 years of age. (I think there's a get out for family pensions, where you can pass the pension on to your kids, but I don't know too much about this area).

PS I am a keen amateur who takes an interest in these things because my time is coming soon. I must advise that I am no expert (as the edit shows!).

My plan (like most people's) is to take the 25% as cash and get an annuity for the rest.

Annuity? - PhilW
Dulwich E
Thanks again "keen amateur", and I must seem a complete ignoramus but
"You must get an annuity for 75% of the sum as a minimum. You must also take it by 75 years of age"
Does this mean that
1.the max I can cash is 25% and they keep the rest which I must convert to an annuity by age of 75 or
2. that I can take the 100% now and when I am 75 (as if!!) they chase me up and say " oh, by the way, 15 years ago you cashed in all that money, the darling Brown took 40% in tax but now you have to find the money to buy an annuity"
or
3. do I have to stick the 75% somewhere else untouched until I am 75? And if I don't get there, they turn round and say "oh bad luck old dead thing, and by the way, your wife and kids also get nothing - we won the bet. (I'm 60, wife is 58)
or,
4.I can leave all it sitting there until I'm 75 having gained no income from it and then I have to get an annuity?

I have to confess that I just don't get it and just wish I had stuck £50 a month into a building soc account (or just stuck it under the mattress - even the latter would be £12,000 cash under the mattress)
As it is it appears, I can take £3500 tax free and then take an annuity of £600 - £700 (at rates you quoted) a year for about 17 years before I get my money back - and who would bet that they would definitely live to age 77? Not me.

Blimey, I would have been better sticking the money on the horses - and I've only had about 3 bets (on the Grand National) in my life.

Seems like a no win situation - wish I had spent it, on more cigars and wine.

Thanks for your help,
Best wishes for a long, happy and financially secure retirement.
Good job MrsW has found me a new job - the money from that is going under the mattress

Phil

Annuity? - Pugugly
Stick it in Premium Bonds....
Annuity? - PhilW
I would PU, but can you confirm whether actually get all the £14000 to stick in premium bonds - or do I have to put 75% in an annuity?
Or get 25% to stick in PBs, 75% is also taken but darling brown steals 40% of that before I stick it in PBs??

really don't get it - sorry - thick as the proverbial when it comes to money/finance - must remember- when I get paid must spend it - that way I get something for my money and none left over to worry about. (It's called Brownian economics - especially if I spend twice as much as I earn and even more Brownian if I totally waste the money)

P
Annuity? - Another John H
All as I understand it - but, I am not an IFA...

As mentioned further up the thread, if the total pot is less than £15000 it counts as "trivial" so you could get it ALL back, cash in hand, on retirement LESS tax payable to disaster darling.

If you choose your timing in the financial year you may not get into 40% tax (depending on your income in the year)
Annuity? - jbif
Phil:

A retired lady I know had the option of taking her annuity [pension was with Equitable] at age 60 when she retired. She too had found a new job on reaching 60 and so decided that it might be better to allow the investment to grow for another 10 years when she would get a better annuity based on the fact the funds would have grown and that she would have a lower life expectancy then.

For a start, Equitable funds collapsed in value [and unlike Northern Rock, the Government did not step in to help ]. To add insult to injury, when she reached 70, the actuaries had decided that women now lived 10 years longer than the assumptions which applied when the lady was 60. So in hindsight, she lost out on both counts.

I.M.O. only - this is not advice - As suggested by others, cash in your pension or failing that option being available, take up your annuity now. Exercise your right to get other annuity quotes from the market.

Annuity? - Mapmaker
AS I understand it (and I may be wrong) the £15,000 applies to the aggregate of all pensions. As apparently you have a further pension, I don't think you are are permitted to liquidate this particular one. On the other hand... I don't know what sort of other pension your other one is, and I wouldn't know what the implications of the particular flavour would be anyway.

Doubt that helps much...
Annuity? - PhilW
jbif, MM, Another John (and all others previously),
Thanks for your help again. I understand it as MM does.
Yep, I do have another pension (I was a teacher! - didn't really want to admit that!!) so I suspect the "notional" value of my pension fund is way over £15,000 despite the fact that there is really no "fund". ( I remember reading a while ago that if all the money paid into teachers' pension fund had actually been paid into a fund instead of being swallowed and spent by various gov it would now have a £75 billion surplus - because teachers die young!)
Anyway, I am hoping to be able to cash the lot, get £3500 tax free and be taxed on the rest "as income" - it shouldn't be at a high rate given my pension (I haven't got enough "years" for a full pension.)
I think SWMBO and I will get better value in this way, rather than hoping I live a further 15 years to get the money back (and if I die before she gets nowt (How is that fair??)). If I get to 75 I will have forgotten all about this FSAVC anyway.

Thanks all for responses; it's good to have "outside" contributions rather than me and Mrs W just going round in circles.

Phil

Annuity? - jbif
Yep, I do have another pension (I was a teacher! - didn't really want to admit that!!)

The lady in question I referred to above in my post was also a teacher, and did not have enough years to get a full pension. The job she got after retiring was in teaching and the Teachers Pension Agency [is that the correct name] allowed her new job to count towards a furhter enhancement of her Teacher's pension. [Look it up in the TPA scheme.] I remember reading recently that the Government was encouraging teachers to stay on and continue teaching, so if you can do so, you should be able to continue to add to your existing teacher's pension.

Edited by jbif on 08/09/2008 at 22:55

Annuity? - PhilW
jbif,
Yes, I'm aware of the TPA scheme ..... but
After 30 odd years of teaching I had had enough!! Not of the actual teaching, or the kids because I enjoyed the teaching and contact (not physical you understand!!!) with youngsters. I'm also still enthusiastic about my subject but became fed up with all the jargon/targets/mission statements/action plans/development plans/constant changingand watering down of syllabus etc that in my experience do little for the broader education of these youngsters - you can't digress onto topics that they find particularly interesting because you are always saying "we must do this or that" (usually to complete an overcrowded syllabus so that you can pass your exams so that the Department/school can maintain/improve its league standing - nowadays, children are taught for the good of the school not the child).
Well, that's my impression anyway.
So I have no intention of going back to teaching!! - and my wife has found me a new job - long hours but such a change and challenge that I am really enjoying it!! (So far).
Incidentally, it was the TPA who put me in touch with an IFA who came up with a scheme suggesting that I put about 90% of my capital into long term funds in equities which would be virtually untouchable for at least 5 years and some 10 years before they started showing a return - meanwhile he got a sizeable commission very quickly!! Hence my distrust of IFAs!!

Sorry if I've waffled on too long - but that's what I have done for 30 odd years!!
Thanks for your interest and suggestions - much appreciated!!
Best wishes
Phil
Annuity? - Armitage Shanks {p}
IF you do buy an annuity do not forget that you can get a better rate if you have an unhealthy life style, because you may not live so long. Thus smokers, drinkers, those with high blood pressure etc can get better rates, quite apart from market forces. While I obviously wish you a long and happy retirement, if you are on 40 a day and drink a lot you can get a better anuual return from your annuity fund.
Annuity? - PhilW
Thanks AS
(he types very slowly, while looking through the bottom of a glass of red wine, surrounded by a haze of cigar smoke).
;-)

Phil
The intruiging thing is that (as mentioned earlier) you'd expect the eventual rate of annuity payout to be significantly higher for each year you delay taking it. So, delaying taking the annuity for one year costs you say £902 in income for that year. But, if you look at the gradually increasing rates year on year (and assuming nothing else changes - which of course it does) it would maybe take you to age 85 before the extremely small increase in the new better annual income actually returned your deferred £902. After around age 85 you are quids in!

I think the moral of the story is don't delay taking your pension. If you don't need it then just bank it until you do need it. Note: HM Government have a deferal scheme on the state pension too: delay taking it by a year and you lose out on £6000 gross for that one year. When you do finally take it, the annual amount will be a tad higher - but again. you've got to live to a good while to make up the £6000 gross lost.

I emphasise I am but a keen amateur of all things financial - nothing I say should be taken as proper financial advice. This post may contain nuts.
Annuity? - PhilW
Thanks DE,

"keen amateur" you may be but you are not trying to take commission from me! The "keen amateurs" on this forum give sound advice, unbiassed and based on experience - and you are no exception. Some of the points you make confirm "opinions" I have about delaying taking the FSAVC or taking an annuity with it and it's good to have them confirmed - at least I am not alone!!
Not thought about the state pension yet - but the way I am thinking at the moment is to take everything I can now and stick it in an accessible account (or 2?)- I might be quids in at age 85 but I will more likely be 6ft under or at best totally ga-ga.
Might as well go skiing I reckon, as in spending the kids inheritance, my knees can't take the proper skiing.

Thanks again for your interest and input (and to all others who have taken the time to respond - I never expected such a response!) Virtual pints all round - and if I ever meet any of you, real pints!

Regards
Phil

Why are beer cans 440ml? (Contd from IHAQ 246) - L'escargot
Here's all you ever wanted to know about drinks cans ~ except for why a lot of (but not all) beer cans are 440ml. Look in the "Education" section for how cans are made and filled. tinyurl.com/6n4un8

Edited by L'escargot on 06/09/2008 at 17:23

Why are beer cans 440ml? (Contd from IHAQ 246) - jbif
Why are beer cans 440ml?

I do not know if this is true, but I have heard claims that it is because:

1) 1 US pint = 16 US fluid oz = 440 ml

2) that someone decided that 1 "dry" US gallon = 4.4l and decided then to apply metrication to that and came up with 10 440ml cans.
Why are beer cans 440ml? (Contd from IHAQ 246) - JH
j
that's daft enough to be true but, according to Google, 1 US pint = 473ml. So I'm getting short measure! :-)
JH
Why are beer cans 440ml? (Contd from IHAQ 246) - jbif
that's daft enough to be true

Another theory: How about the fact that alcoholic drinks are measured in "gils".
1 US gil = 5 US fluid oz
3 US gil = 15 US fluid oz = 440 ml near enough
[wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_ounces_is_440_ml]
Why are beer cans 440ml? (Contd from IHAQ 246) - Big Bad Dave
Could it be something as simple as distance in height between supermarket shelves?
Could it be something as simple as the outside dimensions of a 440ml can fit comfortably into the average adult hand?
This is one explanation I've come across on t'internet.

"Drinks cans are now made in dozens of sizes worldwide, depending on local needs, from 150ml up to 750ml. Before the second world war, beer in the US was filled in steel cans which used what had been a traditional size for canning peas. This held 12 fluid ounces of drink and the volume and diameter of the can was retained when the modern style of so-called "two-piece" (with a lid and a body) drinks can was introduced in the late fifties. A volume of 12oz is 355ml, and this is still the standard in the US: in Europe it was converted to the round figure of about one-third of a litre, or 330ml. Demand in Europe for bigger volumes in beer cans lead to the third larger size of 440ml and later the 500ml. Smaller sizes such as 150ml, 200 and 250ml are employed for children's drinks and mixers where bigger volumes are not required. Regional traditions influence can sizes. In Venezuela, 8oz and 10oz beer and soft-drinks cans prevailed until recently because they fitted in the local cooled vending machines."
Why are beer cans 440ml? (Contd from IHAQ 246) - wotspur
how many 440ml beer cans could be fitted into a Party 7 tin, remembered from many years ago- whatever happened to them ??.
Me and my wife like several tins of 440ml tins a night but we've cut down on quanity of tins in the recyclying bin, by only drinking the 568ml ones
Why are beer cans 440ml? (Contd from IHAQ 246) - billy25

Edited by billy25 on 09/09/2008 at 20:26

Why are beer cans 440ml? (Contd from IHAQ 246) - billy25
Snippet from a 70's website,
how could something so versatile as a party 4 or 7 go out of fashion!!

Party Sevens

Whether you were a 70's Party Organiser or a 70's Party Animal, your "do" wasn't complete without a few Party Sevens or Party Cans.

They were giant beer cans that held near enough a gallon of beer or lager.

The demise of the British Engineering Industry and the lack of new Engineering Apprentices has resulted in a whole new generation of young people unable to grasp the technicalities of opening a Party Can. The main skill involved piercing a hole in the can to pour the booze out of and finding the exact spot, 180 degrees further round the circumference to place the second hole to aid flow. (Remember that by the end of the night, the host's aiming accuracy will have been greatly impaired dependent on how many Party Sevens they have previously consumed).

Any Behavioural Psychology or Social Science/Anthropology students who have been asked to write a dissitation on the Party Can could gain a great amount of knowledge studying the habits of the consumer:-

1 The "I've Just Been On a Package Holiday To Benidorm" Guy -Will be holding the can at arms length and directing the jet of lager at his mouth from a distance. (Make sure you've plenty of kitchen tissue rolls handy).

2 Frustrated Circus Performer - Attempts to juggle bottles of Jubilee Stout whilst using two Party Sevens as makeshift stilts.

3 Technophobe - completely baffled by the above mentioned opening process. Likely to remain thirsty or go onto lemonade for the rest of the night.

4 Alcoholic Technophobe - Completely baffled, but will attempt to open Party Seven with teeth.

5 Aggressive Defender - has claimed a Party Seven for his own use and will fight anyone who challenges him for a glass full.

6 Eco Warrior - Insists on taking home the empty Party Sevens to put in the recycling bin.

7 Blue Peter Presenter Wannabee - Insists on taking home the empty Party Cans to make stylish wastebins or makeshift executive desk tidys.

billy
Health and Safety - Manual Handling - Bromptonaut
In a work related situation would it be reasonable to expect an employee to carry, in one hand, an irreguarly shaped steel object 565x545x270 (lxhxw in mm) while carring in the other a valise weighing up to 6kg. The distance involved is up to 400meters and involves ascending and descending a footbridge. The employee may be of either gender and any build/age and state of health.

Other, easier methods of carriage are available but if used carelessly may cause inconvenience to or the remote possibilty of injury to others in the vicinity.

Any reference to publications on manual handling would be particularly welcome.

I'll explain the background in the light of answers received.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 07/09/2008 at 18:18

Health and Safety - Manual Handling - FotheringtonThomas
Yes, as long as the load isn't not "awkward", and that there are no special considerations.

What sort of meter are you talking about? A gas one? No trailing pipes. An electric one? No trailing wires - trip hazard.

Either gender - I assume you mean sex, "male" or "female", or "alternative".

HTH.
Health and Safety - Manual Handling - Altea Ego
you dont say how heavy the steel opbject is. Normally one person on their own is not expected to have both hands full while climbing steps.
Health and Safety - Manual Handling - Bromptonaut
Thanks RF, main item weighs approx 12kg My own focus is on stairs as well, also trip hazards, distribution of weight and the lift phase as the start point is below the knee.

The issue is a dictat from London Midland trains that folding bicycles are to be folded carried from the station door rather than wheeled as far as the train. No account is taken of distance/layout at particular stations or the build/age/capacity/gender of the owner. An extended Brompton can be carried on stairs with one hand, pannier attached and with weight partly borne by resting the sadddle nose on the shoulder.
Health and Safety - Manual Handling - L'escargot
This Health and Safety Executive website gives guidelines for manual handling. tinyurl.com/7nnrb

I think page 10 is nearest to answering your question, but I'm sure the other nine pages will be useful to you.

Edited by L'escargot on 09/09/2008 at 08:05

Legal Advice Needed - audiA6tdi
Hi Bit of legal advice needed. I worked for a company for 3 months back in Feb this year in sales and on leaving the company and handing in my notice i was told that some items of equipment had been stolen which i knew nothing about. To cut a long story short the police were involved and there was no evidence so no further action was taken. The company in question withheld my final commision sales and only paid my basic. I have been in contact with the company and they said that they were not willing to pay me any money until the police had investigated. The manager and superviser have since left the company and the new manager said he knows nothing about what i sold and there is no record of it.
Whats the best way to approach this. The company is a large PLC. They owe me around £500 - £600 under my estimation.
thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/09/2008 at 01:28

Legal Advice Needed - Nsar
Write a polite and detailed leter to the director of human resources at the plc copied to the chief executive explaining that you feel that there is no reason whatsoever to withold what is due to you and ask for it to be paid within 10 working days.

Explain that if they fail to pay to you or give a reasonable explanation you will seek professional advice.

Legal Advice Needed - Falkirk Bairn
to withold what is due to you and ask for it to be paid within
10 working days.
Explain that if they fail to pay to you or give a reasonable explanation you
will seek professional advice.

Small claims court for the amount you are talking about. £30+ is roughly cost and you get the fee back when you win from the ex-employer.

A lawyer for the 1/2 day (inc travel to your local court) would cost them more than the commission you are due so they will pay up (or rather they should pay up) on the threat of action.

A few weeks back a chap sued a Budget Airline in the Small Claims Court, Airline failed to turn up, the man got his judgement for £550. The Airline failed to pay on time and they were threatened with a court order to freeze all bank accounts - they paid in 3 days.
Rat spotted in 5* Hotel - audiA6tdi
I went into a 5 star London hotel last month for a meal. Upon ordering our food we had a glass of wine and then noticed a rat running past our table. I managed to take a picture of it. We told the waiter about this who said he would get a manager, ten minutes later know one appeared so I went to the bar and found the waiter chatting to other staff members. We then informed them that we were not staying for the meal and left. I wrote to the manager the same week only to get a reply that he had taken my comments on board etc and that was the end of it. The hotel is part of a national chain and i didnt expect to get this kind of response from them. Know one seems to care including the manager. Any advice? Just to clarify that i was not stopping at the hotel but just eating there.
Thanks
Dave

{subject header changed, as per the please note request at the top of the page}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/09/2008 at 10:51

Rat spotted in 5* Hotel - Martin Wall
Environmental Health Dept. at relevant local council.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/09/2008 at 10:52

Rat spotted in 5* Hotel - Mapmaker
What exactly do you want to achieve? Compensation? For what?

I'm afraid that rats wander the streets of London freely, and they come in through open doors. Fact of life in the city, I'm afraid.
Rat spotted in 5* Hotel - Another John H
>>I'm afraid that rats wander the streets of London freely, and they come in
>>through open doors. Fact of life in the city..

I expect some of them will be wearing suits too.

Boom, Boom, Tish.

I'll get me coat.
Rat spotted in 5* Hotel - Stuartli
>>I'm afraid that rats wander the streets of London freely, and they come in through open doors. Fact of life in the city.>>

True, but you don't want them patronising your favourite eating establishment......:-)

Rat spotted in 5* Hotel - Mapmaker

>>True, but you don't want them patronising your favourite eating establishment.

I've had them in the house the odd time - get in through the open back door. (Never get out alive though...)
Rat spotted in 5* Hotel - Lud
There was an old man who supposed
That the street door was partially closed;
But some very large rats
Ate his coats and his hats
While that futile old gentleman dozed. (Edward Lear)

I've never seen a rat in a London eating establishment, although I've seen plenty in the underground and elsewhere in the railway system. One of the better hotels in Kampala had a lot in the dining room at dinner though, lurking in the shadows. The food wasn't up to much either, but one has to eat.

Biggest rats I've ever seen were in Algiers. They used to emerge from underground at night and gambol about in the back streets, and were so huge that embarrassed Algerines would sometimes pretend one was mistaken and they were really cats.
Rat spotted in 5* Hotel - Dog
>I've never seen a rat in a London eating establishment<

One has never been down and out in London then ... or Paris!

Dog.
Rat spotted in 5* Hotel - Lud
Of course in the Paris famine of 1870, brought about by the Franco-Prussian war and a Prussian encirclement of Paris, a plump rat fetched as much as 4 francs (what a seamstress earned for making a jacket or pair of trousers). The hungry Parisians ate the elephant (and other creatures) kept in the menagerie at the Jardin des Plantes. What with one thing and another they were so out of humour with the government that they kicked off a revolution early in 1871 by forming the Paris Commune on the back of an army mutiny, and defending it with weapons. As a result, some 70,000 Parisians were killed in the fighting and executed out of hand when the government made its comeback with loyal troops from the provinces and North Africa.

If you ever notice something like that shaping up during a visit, my advice is to leave fast. Of course the French are the salt of the earth when they aren't having one of these fits of murderous lunacy. They do take things to heart so.
Rat spotted in 5* Hotel - Altea Ego
I knew lud was an old "person" but i never really knew quite how hold. Still glad he survived to tell us the tale
Rat spotted in 5* Hotel - Dog
My amigo Big Terry (now Dead Terry alas) spent many years in the Middle East & Nth. Africa and reckoned he ate a few Rodents + a few Reptiles ... I don't know about Rats though, although he certainly met one or two!
In the siege of Stalingrad, where leather was "on the menu" I believe, - Rat must have been seen as a luxury!
Self employed - Tax query for mileage - stackman
My wife works as a self employed cleaner, servicing a number of clients in a 10 mile radius of our house.

I am currently completing her tax return and have a question concerning claiming a mileage allowance against her income.

Can I deduct a mileage allowance at 40ppm for her to drive from home to each client ?

I have tried looking on the inland revenue website but can't seem to find a definitive answer. I know I should probably go to an accountant but the job doesn't really pay enough as it is without involving additional fees, so I am hoping to blag some free advice from the fountain of knowledge here.
Self employed - Tax query for mileage - Mapmaker
Yes you can, by concession (generally - see link). And here is the definitive answer from HMRC.

www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM47701.htm

(3 seconds googling... but I knew what to look for!)

Edited by Mapmaker on 09/09/2008 at 10:50

Thanks, Mapmaker. The reason for my confusion is that it says that journeys from home to work are not included.

Mrs Stack travels from home to her clients houses, and she visits a different client or clients everyday. Surely this is purely business travel and should be allowed.
Self employed - Tax query for mileage - Altea Ego
She does not have a "normal place of work" which the "journey from home to work" rule covers.
Thats what I thought but couldn't find a reference. I'm sure her case isn't unusual but just wanted to be sure before I pressed the button to print out the spreadsheet I have with her hours and mileage on it.

If she visits two houses in the same village on the same day can she claim two mileage allowances, or would that be pushing our luck?

I'm not looking for advice on tax evasion but would be grateful to receive some learned opinion!
Self employed - Tax query for mileage - adverse camber
you can only claim real travel. Does she go from the first client direct to the second? If so claim the total round trip home -> c1 -> c2 -> home.

The same applies when visiting any group of clients - you cannot claim home->c1->home->c2->home->c3->home if your actual journey is home->c1->c2->c3->home
Self employed - Tax query for mileage - Altea Ego
As above - only actual mileage traveled is permitted, Ensure you have some backup information availble

ie spreadsheet with

Monday 8th Sep 2008 : Home > Mrs jones 6 miles > Mrs bloggs 2 miles > Home 4 miles. total 12

if they challenge
OK, one more query, hopefully the last.

As i said, I have a spreadsheet with her hours and mileages on it which I will print out and submit as her proof of earnings. Will I need to supply the full name and address of each client at this stage or only indicate a name and the village?

It's not that we have anything to hide and we do declare evrything she earns, but it would make the paperwork easier. Will the Inland Revenue need to know all the details of who has paid her or are they only interested, with regard to my wife's tax return, on how much she has earned?
Self employed - Tax query for mileage - Paul Robinson
Don't submit any documents with her Tax Return. HMRC just want the completed form. In the majority of cases they will not ask for any further information (one of the reasons why it's called 'self assessment').

Keep your records safely for another 7 years, in case they do ever decide that they want to do a detailed inspection.
Self employed - Tax query for mileage - Optimist
Stackman

The tax return asks for the figures. You don't need to submit anything else by way of proof unless you are asked by HMRC when they open a formal enquiry. In that case they will tell you what records you want.

It sounds to me as though you are keeping pretty complete records for your wife. Just hold onto them in case anyone does ask.

In essence all HMRC wants is answers to the questions in the return.

HTH.
Many thanks everyone for your help, I'm quite happy doing the sums and keeping the records, its just knowing which figures to take into account.

Hopefully she will be due a modest refund. We'll treat ourselves to a tank of Super Unleaded !
Self employed - Tax query for mileage - Mapmaker
She does not have a "normal place of work" which the "journey from home to
work" rule covers.

She DOES effectively have a "normal place of work". This is the office where she runs her business from. In your case, it is your kitchen. Hope that makes it easier to understand why it is acceptable.

If she rented an office in your nearest town, travel from home to the office would not be deductible; however travel from the office to clients would be.
Car ports. - FotheringtonThomas
AFAIR a car port is a roof, and one side, and no ends. Is this correct, and can I build one without planning permission?

If I build a car port close up to the side of a house, but not touching it in any way, to take advantage of the extra shelter afforded by the wall, is it still a car port?
Car ports. - daveyjp
Car ports are permitted developments and don't generally don't need planning permission - if you are in a listed property, or a conservation area you will need to confirm this is still the case with your local planning authority.

I'm sure there is case law, but if it doesn't have an access door and is no more than a construction supporting a roof it will be a car port.
Car ports. - Nsar
Your local authority will probably have section on this on their website and possibly a link to the Planning Portal which is searchable of course. All the gen will be there
Guest House B&B Formby - Crosby area - Optimist
Anyone know of anywhere pleasant in this part of the north west?

I've searched the internet but places seem thin on the ground.

Thanks.

Guest House B&B Formby - Crosby area - Stuartli
Although I live only a handful of miles north of Formby, staying in bed and breakfasts in the area you mention up to Crosby is something I've never done, so can't offer any recommendations...:-(

Some Google links:

tinyurl.com/5wa2d3
Guest House B&B Formby - Crosby area - bathtub tom
Have you tried the official tourist informtion site?

www.visitbritain.co.uk/

Edited by bathtub tom on 09/09/2008 at 20:50

Guest House B&B Formby - Crosby area - Optimist
Thanks stuartli and bathtub tom. Will try as you suggest.

Guest House B&B Formby - Crosby area - Tron
if you enter B&B Formby here maps.google.co.uk/ you get: Results 1 - 10 of about 41 for B&B Formby.

Just a case of ringing around and finding one you like the look & sound of then!

Edited by Tron on 11/09/2008 at 10:57

Central heating boiler change - crunch_time
My fre-standing conventional boiler is around 20yrs old now, and showing its age.

I believe a combi will involve more plumbing changes than I really want, but I'm wondering how much hassle a straightforward condensing boiler will involve.

Is it likely to be an easy changeover, or is there more to it than I've realised?

Central heating boiler change - henry k
Showing its age in what way?

What is the existing set up? Gravity or pumped hot water system ?

Apart from considering a new boiler do you have any other requirements for your system?
Central heating boiler change - rtj70
From my simple investigation/research when the plumber wanted us to have a combi boiler a few years back (with some inbuilt tank):

1. The boiler is more expensive
2. The water tank in the attic is removed - plumber gets more hours work
3. Hot water tank removed - plumber gets more hours
4. A combi-boiler works under pressure so any old joints in the heating system could leak and radiators might need replacing/fixing. And any damage from leaks needs repairing.

So I said I wanted a replacement boiler to which they said not possible due to regs around the flue. After standing my ground he got the required kit to sent the waste gas up the chimney.

Total cost for a massive boiler (it weighs so much) and to plub in around £1200 back then. Basically replaced old boiler, replaced/connected piping and connected to flue. I'd say going for a straightforward boiler swap simple..*

* Ours was in the cellar so getting it down there was a bit fraught - it took a lot of lifting.
Central heating boiler change - Dog
There's lots of info Re: combi and conventional boilers here ~ tinyurl.com/6cnese
My Glow Worm Hideaway is about 10 years old, but its still going strong so I've just had my loft insulation topped up to 10" via my utility for £130 which I feel is a good investment and will certainly reduce my heating bill.
Are you on gas or oil crunchy ?
Central heating boiler change - daveyjp
Location of the new boiler could be key. Rules and regs on where flues can and can't go are always changing. My parents 30 year old boiler was located on the external wall of a kitchen extension which faced the back garden. The flue for the new boiler would have been 50mm too close to a window they never open, but it meant the new boiler couldn't simply be put where the old one was.

The new one had to go in the hall at the bottom of the stairs at the front of the house, in the small bedroom at the front - can cause problems when selling, or in the loft - loads of work sometimes required to make the loft accessible. The new location in the hall meant lots of rerouting of pipes, lots of disruption and a new cupboard to house it all.
Central heating boiler change - FotheringtonThomas
My fre-standing conventional boiler is around 20yrs old now and showing its age.

You can still get spares for most of these oldies - is it a Potterton, by any chance?

I believe a combi will involve more plumbing changes than I really want but I'm
wondering how much hassle a straightforward condensing boiler will involve.

It's reasonably straightforward - a condensate drain will be required, though, a plastic pipe that goes into a drain somewhere. Note, condensate is slightly acid, try and put it into a frequently used drain if poss. There will also be a plume of steam to be directed somewhere. There is an exemption for places where a condensing boiler can't be fitted, but those places are *very* few and far between indeed.

Is it likely to be an easy changeover or is there more to it than
I've realised?

You can keep your existing layout - hot water tank, etc., if you want. Some plumbers may say you can't, but you certainly can. Some may try to get lots of other work at the same time - radiator changes, that sort of thing.

Don't expect a new boiler to save much money. It won't.

If you've a Stelrad floor mounted one, I can give you one that's been cluttering up my garage for ages. It was new, used for about a month in the early '90s, then drained and stuck in the garage on a pallet.
Central heating boiler change - Clk Sec
>>My fre-standing conventional boiler is around 20yrs old now, and showing its age.

In my experience free standing boilers keep going for years after others have ended up on the scrap heap.

They can be cumbersome and may take up too much space in a small kitchen, but if that?s not a problem it may be worth sticking with the old one.

I arrange the annual servicing for a floor mounted Ideal Standard boiler which was installed in 1976 and is still in excellent working order.

Clk Sec
Central heating boiler change - Altea Ego
FT

I have a stelrad floor mounted in use. Its about 20 years old. IF you dont find a good home for it and the OP doesent want it I may be interested.

The mods will forward you my email address if you ask.
Central heating boiler change - Baskerville
My fre-standing conventional boiler is around 20yrs old now and showing its age.

We replaced one of these with a Vaillant combi six years ago. The free-standing boiler had been installed in the early 1960s, so was around 40 years old and was still working reliably, but the combi is a lot more efficient in several ways. I remember we had significantly lower gas bills at the time, but it heats the system a lot more quickly--within minutes. Also, the instant hot water thing is a lot better than a tank that never seems to be hot when you want it, but is being heated even when you don't. Water pressure for showers is excellent now as well. Even without the lower bills (now eroded by energy prices of course) it would have been worth it. We have had no problems with leaks so far. I realise that this comment will have angered the mains pressure water gods and apologise unreservedly.
Central heating boiler change - Mapmaker
Firstly, Vaillant are notoriously poorly engineered and are prone to failure. (I had one in my last house and I cannot complain about it. Must have been nearly 10 years old; apart from servicing I had to replace the diverter valve which cost me £100 for a lump of brassware the size of my fist.)

Secondly

>>Also, the instant hot water thing is a lot better than a tank that never seems to be hot when you want it, but is being heated even when you don't.

With combi boilers they are inclined to keep a gallon of water hot at all times, for instant hot water; this explains why they turn on for a couple of minutes every hour. I discovered on my Vaillant that I could turn this option off (turn the water temperature to minimum, and then back to desired temperature; to turn it on, turn to maximum and then back to desired temperature). If you seldom use hot water, it will save pots of cash although there will be a minute's delay before hot water arrives. (I did always run the tap for a couple of minutes before starting the washing machine.)

Edited by Mapmaker on 11/09/2008 at 10:44

Central heating boiler change - Tron
Also with combination boilers you loose out on hot water pressure at the tap.

You cannot (so I have been told) install a second pump or power shower due to those pumps causing a vacuum in the system between them and your boiler because if that vacuum fails and the water is drawn from the boiler and not replaced quickly enough...

...hot boiler - no water supply - bang!
Central heating boiler change - nick
It'll take a long time to recoup the cost of changing the boiler if it doesn't need it. Unless the heat exchanger goes (unlikely for a cast iron one used with inhibitor) you can get spares for most popular boilers, they may not be factory parts but will fit. Until it goes bang, I'd keep it. It'll probably outlast any new aluminium heat exhanger boiler.
Central heating boiler change - Baskerville
We've had no trouble at all with ours or with the one we had in our previous house. In fact our good experience with that one led us to buy another. I'm also a serial buyer of reliable French cars; honestly I don't know how I've survived this long. Vaillant replaced the diverter valve with a new design before it failed--they phoned up and asked when it would be convenient to do it. No charge. I guess that was a longstanding design flaw.

Absolutely right about the preheated water and turning it off. We find it takes much less than a minute to come through anyway, so we never use that. In any case most modern washing machines use the cold supply only.
Central heating boiler change - wemyss
Keep your conventional boiler as long as you possibly can. A replacement condensing standard or combination will cost you around £4000 plus and you will never recoup this on energy saving.
I fitted a Gloworm cast iron boiler for a mate when I was a Plumber over 40 years ago and he has just had to have a new system which cost him well above this. He was unable to get a new gas valve for the Gloworm and took this quotation from a reputable local tradesman and accepted it.
The Plumber told him that all radiators and pipework throughout the system had to be replaced which I found hard to understand.
My advice had been to acquire a second hand conventional easily obtainable.
The plumber who comes to give you a quote will not include electric?s normally and will state that the Electrician will check the house to make sure everything conforms and will undoubtedly find more work.
A replacement conventional is a simple connection of flows and returns to the boiler and reconnect the electrics, gas and test. Or even more simple as stated above is to leave it until it stops working and then find the spare you want. An annual flue test and CO readings is all you need?.

Central heating boiler change - crunch_time
Many thanks for all the replies and useful information.

I believe it's a Glow-worm and it has a balanced flue (which sometimes exhausts into the bathroom window if the wind is in the wrong direction).

The various comments about hanging on to it are very persuasive - nothing really wrong with it except the piezo lighter being very unreliable when the pilot light gets blown out by a strong NEly, and I had to change the thermocouple about 18 months ago.

It really does sound worth hanging on to, at least for now, so that's what I will do, and thanks again.

Central heating boiler change - daveyjp
The piezo lighter problem is probably no more than a sooty pilot light jet. We had a water heater with the same problem, half an hour of a heating engineers time and it was sorted.
Central heating boiler change - Mapmaker
>>engineer

Unlikely.
Central heating boiler change - wemyss
Vaillant are now part of Glowworm (or the other way round) and according to contacts who work there the condensing boilers are now good in comparison with other manufacturers.
Replaced thermocouple...You will no doubt have used a universal type which fits everything. Perfectly satisfactory but for some reason they never last anything like the original one. But at just a few quid does it matter.
You may need your pilot setting a little higher. There is a tiny screw somewhere on the gas valve which adjusts the height of flame.
Piezo...Easily replaceable with a new one. However check first if its giving a good spark.
Many use a long spell to light the pilot.
The new condensing boilers have a reliabilty problem due to their complexity and I've listenened to many horror stories of repeated call backs, and even Engineers from the factory visiting site and unable to solve them.
The old cast iron boilers simply consist of a gas valve, thermocouple and burner. Little to go wrong and a cast boiler will last indefinitely if an inhibitor is used.
This trade and the Electricians have managed to do well by creating a fear climate which inhibits any competent person from doing anything apart from changing a plug top fuse.

Central heating boiler change - Dog
Ah ... comrade wemyss, you could be the geezer I'm looking for!
I was a car engine tuner for 14 years so I know the correct way up for a screwdriver, when I had an oil fired Rayburn a few years back, I called in a heating eng. and he stripped the burner down & cleaned all the carbon off the burner.
Is that also carried out with a gas boiler I've orften wondered?
Also, I know that gas boilers have to be serviced by a Corgi reg. eng., but can a reasonably competent chap (like moi) service a 10 year olf Glow Worm Hideaway?
obviously I can't carry out a CO test, but I can check the flue and clean the burner.
I have the original service sheet btw.

Cheers - Dog.
Central heating boiler change - FotheringtonThomas
gas boilers have to be serviced by a Corgi reg. eng.
but can a reasonably competent chap (like moi) service a 10 year olf Glow Worm
Hideaway?

You can, as long as you are "competent", and it's yours (i.e. not for £).
Tiling - borasport20
After a bathroom accident with a collapsing shower cabinet, I'm trying to repair some tiling, and I have to shave a millimetre or so of the edge of a few tiles. I don't have any tiling tools, and it's too small a distance for a cutter, I think.
What can I do ?

Edited by borasport20 on 11/09/2008 at 17:50

Tiling - henry k
Use a tiling file.
Various varieties and prices around, Plasplug, Vitrex etc.
Google tiling file to start with.
Most DIY places have them
Tiling - OldGolfer
Try this ...

tinyurl.com/6dcqsc

It's like a mesh - if you lay it flat and 'scrub' the edge of the tile back and forth it should do the job. Good luck.

Regards
Paul
Tiling - billy25
Gentle contact with the side (not edge) of a Carborundum disk in either a drill (even a cordless one) or a small angle-grinder will do the job admirably! - but dont foget to wear your goggles!.

Billy