Helter Skelter down vesuvius - tack
The driver looked like Luca Brazzi, had the forearms of Popeye and the torso of Raging Bull. His voice was like the smoke from a thousand chimneys, and his eyes like bullets. He was master of the 52 seater coach taking us down from the car park 1000 metres up the side of Mount Vesuvius, Naples.

He almost wheel spun away from the car park. Right foot like he had Jacques Cousteau's diving boot on, right palm permanently on the horn daring all to come within 50ft of him.

He hung out of the window and yelled curses and shook his fist at every woman, man, donkey, sheep, pig, goat, dog or cat he passed, he almost power drifted around hairpin bends and overtook timorous tourist coaches he deemed to be too slow, even in places where there was no room, and with on coming traffic!

We thrashed down the mountainside, swaying left and right, tyres squealing, hurtling around bends.......packets of crisps, chocolate bars, apples, old ladies and babes in arms flying around inside the fuselage of the demented rocket.

Finally, we landed at Herculaneum and screeched to a halt outside the station. We clapped and cheered and shook his hand as we got off the coach. Whether out of sheer relief at arrival in one piece, or in admiration of a performance of theatrical bravura.....I cannot say!

Funny what being on holiday does to you. Back home, we would have complained to the bus company.
Helter Skelter down vesuvius - doctorchris
Did you notice the old shape Panda 4x4s on your way up from the car park to the peak of Vesuvius?
Yeah, I did. They belonged to the cafe owners near the peak/crater. Wouldn't say no to one myself actually. Quite funky looking. On a different note, was on Isle of Capri Wednesday and they were using the following as taxi's

1. Convertible Nissan Serena (for goodness sake)
2. Stretch Fiat Panda convertibles (double for goodness sake)

Edited by Webmaster on 02/05/2008 at 22:40

...sorry, should have said Punto, not Panda.
Helter Skelter down vesuvius - Dynamic Dave
...sorry should have said Punto not Panda.

You could have used your edit button.
scusi signor, still in holiday mode.......even after a three hour stint on M25 from Gatport Airwick to Brentwood!