00 1.8 Wheel bearing going - dangerous? - Optimus Prime
My Honda Accord is making a roaring sound when driving (louder at higher speeds). I'm pretty sure that the wheel bearing (driver's side) is worn out, confirmed as "probable" by a driver from the local Honda garage who dropped the car back to me after servicing.
The only thing is I'm 3 weeks away from relocating to the US, and I don't want to spend money getting it fixed before I go (don't need to sell it - my company is refunding me the cost of letting it go).
Is it dangerous to keep driving with it the worn wheel bearing - what can go wrong with it, and is it dangerous? Is it sensible for me to get it fixed for safety reasons?
Any help appreciated.
00 1.8 Wheel bearing going - dangerous? - qxman {p}
I am not expert in this, but if it is making a roaring sound then it must be in quite a bad way. I think they get hot too. I imagine there is some risk of it breaking up and/or siezing - which could be very dangerous if it were to happen at speed.
00 1.8 Wheel bearing going - dangerous? - none
Wheel bearings are testable items. (MOT). Your decision. !

Edited by none on 12/04/2008 at 15:04

00 1.8 Wheel bearing going - dangerous? - Lud
Wheel bearings can get very noisy for a long time before becoming dangerous.

Jack the wheel off the ground, get hold of the tyre top and bottom and try to rock the wheel (you see MoT men doing this when your car is being tested). If it moves much you shouldn't drive the car. I assume it's a front wheel?
00 1.8 Wheel bearing going - dangerous? - scotmech
If it is that noisy ... It must be replaced ASAP ... don't drive it till it is done ...