2002 130 TDCi - idling speed - Grandadboilersuit
Hello folks! I would appreciate any opinion regarding the idling speed on my 2002 TDCi 130bhp hatchback, 101,000 miles. Idling speed of 750rpm seems just fine, but as soon as the car is moving the speed goes up to 950rpm, in neutral or with the clutch down. This makes for uncomfortable motoring in slow-moving traffic and necessitates slipping the clutch at any speed below 10mph. The car has just been serviced and I am assured that "they all do that" but I am not convinced. Does anyone else have this problem? Many thanks.

{year added to subject header, as per the 3 requests you missed asking for you to do it}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/03/2008 at 12:45

2002 130 TDCi - idling speed - kithmo
Sounds normal to me, as soon as the speed sensor picks up a signal the ECU assumes you are in gear and the anti-stall circuit comes into play. The idle speed should not affect the few circumstances I can think of where you would be moving in neutral or with the clutch down anyway. e.g. just before you come to a halt in traffic you would dip the clutch so idle speed is irrelevant and as you are starting to move off in traffic you would increase the revs anyway to prevent stalling when coming off the clutch. If you mean the car seem to be running away at low revs in gear then that is normal as I mentioned above it's the anti-stall, try using a lower gear. My Mondeo Diesel does it and SWMBO's Focus diesel does.
2002 130 TDCi - idling speed - Grandadboilersuit
Thank you Kith. That just about confirms that there is no problem with the idling speed. I guess its just something I'll have to get used to. Thank you for yur advice.