Guard your keys! A reminder. - henry k
A week or so ago a 6 year old ordinary Honda Civic was stolen fom a front drive in my street.
The elderly couple were in bed when the car went at 1:30 in the morning as logged on CCTV.
It is believed that the front door was opened via the letterbox (there was no bolt on the bottom of the door or a door chain)
The car keys were in the hall. A mobile phone and less than 50p also went missing.

So another reminder to not leave car keys " fishable / on view " from the letterbox and to review front door security ( I do not like deadlocking us it at night).

p.s. A speeding ticket, timed about an hour after the theft, arrived this morning.
The couple have taken their loss very well and have now bought a 08 reg new Jazz.

It seems that cars are being stolen this way so that immediately after when used for another crime ANPR will not get triggered ( until the theft is reported and databases updated).

Guard your keys! A reminder. - Nsar
The fashion in parts of Manchester is to thread a crowbar through the letterbox tied to a rope, twist it and then tie the other end to a car which then rips the door out.

Or simply sledgehammer the door in without a care whether the owner is in or not as happened to a friend and also to a frequent poster here.

Guard your keys! A reminder. - Westpig
most people's front doors are pretty good....and the back doors are not!

burglars only use the front door don't they?

handbags, phones and car keys are often left: 1, by the front door, 2 in the kitchen.. and the thieves know it. Try to disrupt the pattern as they'll often look first e.g. through the letter box of through the kitchen window.
Guard your keys! A reminder. - scotmech
Another tip is to never leave any other keys on the key ring other than the keys required to start car ... Am now retired but often I was left a car for repair with a bunch of keys ... house, office, garage, etc ... and always advised the customer to only leave the car key if they left their car with anyone ...

It is too easy if you are that way inclined to copy any keys and steal the car months later or break into the house ...

And most alarm remotes ... all you need is the number that is inside the remote to get a replacement from the maker...

Edited by scotmech on 16/03/2008 at 19:44

Guard your keys! A reminder. - rogue-trooper
another tip - put a metal plate inside the door beneath where the latch is. There has been a tendency (although not heard about it recently) to get a drill, drill through the door, and push the latch open that way (obviously only works on certain latch mechanisms).

Also best to double lock the door at night as well as putting a guard/box over the letterbox
Guard your keys! A reminder. - Big Bad Dave
I've taken criticism on this forum for taking my home security so seriously. For starters I would never have a letter box in the door nor any glass. Mine is made from thick steel with inch thick bolts at regular intervals on all four sides that shoot out into the steel door frame when it is double locked. It's like a safe. The patio doors and windows are protected by roll down shutters in the evening. Every room has a panic button and my wife and I also have one on our key fobs that will work as you drive to the house and park the car etc. The local security firm will have a pair of seven-foot terminators on your doorstep within five minutes.

You don't have to be a victim to these scrotes. It blows my mind how many people will drop three grand on a flat screen telly while the only thing keeping the front door from blowing open is a 25-year old yale lock loosely screwed into a rotting door frame.
Guard your keys! A reminder. - UncleR
@scotmech - Do you just mean don't leave your front door keys when leaving keys with garage? If so, I agree. Otherwise, it's just not practical to always keep them seperate as it'll be me breaking into my own house every day when I lock myself out every day!!

I don't have a problem double locking door at night. We keep keys on top of door frame so out of view/fishing reach but easy to get if there is an emergency need to leave. Couldn't sleep without knowing door was properly locked...
Guard your keys! A reminder. - Pugugly
Buy a mean dog - anybody that would mess with my Springer to steal with my car are welcome to it.
Guard your keys! A reminder. - Martin Devon
PU. My mate has a Springer that will mullah his Rotty whilst doing somethging else. You will know what I mean. BUT if they dope the blighter! So many tricks and bad baswards out there.

Best reg's........Martin.
Guard your keys! A reminder. - grumpyscot
My mate keeps a picture of Barry Manilow opposite his front door - never been burgled yet!

He also reckons a picture above the fireplace is cheaper than buying a fire-guard!
Guard your keys! A reminder. - Alby Back
About 20 years ago I was ...um...between marriages. I had a rented flat, furnished ( I use that term loosely) mainly with items aquired hurriedly from second hand shops. One day I returned from work to find that I had been burgled. However, on closer inspection it became apparent that nothing was missing. Seems the thieves had decided that there was nothing worth stealing ! On a similar note, my work often takes me into inner cities. In the days when I used to feel the need to drive reasonably "posh" cars I was often the victim of car crime. Now that I tend to drive more workmanlike vehicles ( by choice ) it never happens.

Suppose there must be a moral to this !
Guard your keys! A reminder. - jc2
I had my car broken into once-no damage-quarterlights-remember them-and found a better torch on the floor than my one.Police were most amused but I expected the thief to return for his property but he never did and I still have the torch-still working-48 years on!Rubber covered Ever-Ready.
Guard your keys! A reminder. - Tron
Theives also look for security.

Some security being visible is a clear deterent, too much is an advertisement of what valuables you may have.

Guard your keys! A reminder. - davmal
My work car is a Hyundai Elantra. It's so anonymous and non descript even I have trouble finding it! Can't imagine some spotty oik coveting it though. Factory fit immobiliser is back up security to driving a car that looks as though it has already been ransacked.
Guard your keys! A reminder. - jc2
It has been said that thieves will target an anonymous car to drive round in while looking for a good one.

Edited by jc2 on 18/03/2008 at 13:18