Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - Mapmaker
As from 31 March, you will be able to get a parking ticket from a CCTV camera - Telegraph article today.

No more being one minute late back to your parking meter.

I am struggling to decide whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - Hamsafar
Bad, do we want a world run by machines where we are just carry out the tasks that the machines can't do yet? If there's nobody there to see the problem, there is no problem, what concern is that to an IT system?
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - 659FBE
Is it legal to cover your number plates when parked on a public road?

Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - Zippy123
Probably, but not in a car park as it is not part of the road.

Some motorcycles in London have a rag placed over the number plate. Parking officials cannot move the rag without the fear of being prosecuted for criminal damage.

Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - Saltrampen
In order to stop cloned cars, the cameras will have to give a clear image of the vehicle so you can point to various unique features (ie. stickers etc) as well as witness statements in order to prove that it was NOT your car but a cloned vehicle. I doubt if a blurred or very partial image would stand up on appeal. Which means they may have to use higher resolution CCTV rather than an old security camera.
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - Snakey
I bet the funding will be available to upgrade the fairly useless CCTV we have now in order to persecute the motorist even further.

They would never think of upgrading the CCTV systems for something actually beneficial, like street crime/violence etc that is happening on a daily basis.

Since when did parking become such an evil? There is no way that parking could ever be considered a crime, yet the way things are going it will be jail sentence for those who get more than 3 tickets!

Its basically going the way speed cameras did. Automate the systems, plonk a halfwit at the controls and rake in the money with the full force of the law behind you.

Speed camera, TV licenses, parking tickets...what next I wonder?
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - Lud
Of course they have been doing this in London for some time. The cameras are sometimes on vans that drive about.

Stand by to be accused of parking when all you are doing is waiting. There is a crucial difference that these camera carphounds are reluctant to understand.

As someone else has said, what's so wrong with parking anyway?

(That was a rhetorical question, I would point out to the classroom monitor types who occasionally turn up here to explain the blindingly obvious).
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - normd2
surely they should be encouraging parking? Then you're not adding to C02 emmissions, spreading diesel particulates, using up the planet's resources, speeding, running down old ladies, adding to noise polution, adding to congestion etc :)
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - zookeeper
a parked car is carbon neutral, the big problem i find is having to drive around for ages trying to find a parking space wasting time and petrol cause rows and rows of streets have yellow lines down them
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - Zippy123
The point is that they don't want you to own or drive a car but they make no real provision for decent public transport that can do the journey as quickly and as cheaply as driving.

Ah - there we go - as cheaply - driving - even in my 3.2 which does about 30mpg is cheaper than public transport in rush hour - but I have not included depreciation.
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - midlifecrisis
As a Police Officer, I despair at this type of legislation. Anybody getting a ticket in the post courtesy of some 'parking enforcement officer' looking for his bonus will automatically point the finger at the Police.

We are constantly being alienated form the general public we rely on for support. (Gets my goat on a personal level as well)
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - krs one
Tickets have been issued in Bromley via CCTV for around 12 months now, the most insidious part was that when this was introduced the parking restriction times were extended , to apply until midnight , seven days a week .
With CCTV there is no reason why parking enforcement will not run 24/7.
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - Fullchat
Gets my goat!!! CCTV was sold on the principle that it was to make our streets safer, assist identifying anti social behavior and reduce crime. - Maybe I've answered my own question!!!
This is one step too far.
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - jmaccyd
Well of course this is the truth of the deception of CCTV cameras that have sprung up in our society. They where sold as a means of protecting us from 'threats' when in truth they have become a means of watching the very citizens that they are meant to help.
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - zookeeper
well Eric Blair did warn us , when was it? err about 60 years ago
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - Hamsafar
Eric Blair did warn us, but rather like a car alarm that everybody ignores going off over a 60 year period.
Parking tickets from CCTV cameras - Lud
Eric Blair

Great cat, but hardly the car enthusiast type....