1992 2.0 - High fuel comsumption? - allan doc
I have a 1992 Honda Prelude 2.0l and i feel it uses too much fuel. For £10 of fuel i get an average of 35 miles while driving about city centre. It also seems to lack power a little. Anyone any ideas if this is normal. If not any ideas how this could be solved? Could it be the ignition timing? Thanks

Edited by Webmaster on 08/02/2008 at 20:31

Hign fuel comsumption? - Lud
Could be a lot of things including driving style and traffic density/congestion. But the obvious checks are: when last serviced? Is the air filter black and clogged? Is the petrol filler cap sealing properly? How old are the plugs? Are the leads in good condition? Have any sensors, small but crucial wires, etc. become unplugged or damaged? Is the underbonnet spectacle a disheartening one with a decade of oil and filth clogging everything?

Sorry if this all seems obvious to you ad, but it isn't to everyone.
Hign fuel comsumption? - allan doc
I am going to service it next week and see if that helps. Is there any chance the ignition timing could be out? I could get this checked next week too but does anyone know if this type of ignition system could be can be adjusted?
Hign fuel comsumption? - Screwloose
allan

Yes, it is adjustable; but unless it's been fiddled with, or the cam-belt has jumped, then it's unlikely to have gone out of adjustment.

Hondas are not known for sensor issues [particularly in that era] but the MAP sensor is the most critical in deciding the fuelling, so I'd check that one's reading first.

It does have a basic flash-codes system - accessed by joining the two pins in the diag connector located below the music in the centre console.
Hign fuel comsumption? - allan doc
Thanks. I will check that too. If there was a fault would the dianostic light not illuminate when ignition turned on. There is no light on while driving.
Hign fuel comsumption? - Screwloose
allan

Not necessarily. [There were so few occasions when anything went wrong with these, that I can't say that I've ever tried it.]