(87-96) Radio Aerial - poor FM reception - DanG
Could anybody help me sort out resolving the very poor FM reception from the rear window aerial? I have recently brought this car and having owned the same model a few years back, I had exactly the same problem. Are they all generally bad? I have checked all the usual details but the only route to good reception would seem to be fitting a decent external aerial. I have fitted a new radio to replace the rather poor (non-bmw) existing unit.

On another subject, do these cars have a separate speaker amplifier unit fitted, i.e the speakers are not connected directly to the headunit? This would explain the rather poor audio performance I seem to be getting, despite fitting a high-performance headunit.

Happy Xmas!

Dan

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/12/2007 at 00:48

(87-96) Radio Aerial - poor FM reception - Peter.N.
I think that you have probably answered your own question with the experience of your previous car, its unlikley that two aerial systems would be faulty. The rear window is not a good location for an aerial as at VHF frequences the aerial need as fairly good 'view' of the local transmitter, which it won't get in the rear window. Additionally, you have the problem of a long feeder from the back of the car to the radio which itself is 'lossy'. The standard 1/4 wave aeraials roof aerials used by the Citroen/Peugeot group are very cheap, very effective and easy to fit if you have access to the inside of the roof at the front, on the Citroens this is through the inside light assembly.

Peter.N.