The unfairness of it all - retgwte
so there we have it, over 10 years no accidents broken by an idiot in a white van driving into me, insurance company says NCB will drop 2 years if he doesnt admit it, why 2 years?, will be driving around in a group one car if im lucky enough to get a courtesy car, and this idiot will get off with no points (waste of time ringing the police these days), but of course if I drive through a speed camera a few mph over the limit i will get hammered, my car crumpled a little too well - where can i get a family car with NO crumple zone?, and hardly a scratch on his van

how did it come to this

why arent we systematically getting idiots like this off the road?

mad mad mad

why arnt i allowed to shoot the idiot?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 16/12/2007 at 21:39

the unfairness of it all - 1066
why arnt i allowed to shoot the idiot?
because its only a car and a few lost pounds.

very annoying though but the law of averages says its your turn eventually

the unfairness of it all - retgwte
yea but at the moment i dont even know if he gave a true name and address

"its only a car" er he nearly killed me, the fact he didnt is down to my driving skill

not many walks of life where someone gets so close to killing you and walks away with no sanctions at all

the unfairness of it all - 1066
not many walks of life where someone gets so close to killing you and walks away with no sanctions at all

very true but in today's world the authorities don't care about anything except taking your money and spending it on their pet projects.

i didn't mean to make light of your experience and i apologize.
the unfairness of it all - Bromptonaut
In those circs I'd be demanding a more pro active line from my inusurer. If the facts are clear cut (what about witnesses?) why do they need him to admit?.

If they won't play ball consider a claims management co, small claims court or a no win no fee lawyer.
no witness other than his passenger

dream on re pro active line from my insurer, theyve heard it all before

i want a video camera in my car!

the unfairness of it all - barney100
Protected no claims discount seems like a good idea when my policy comes up in Jan!
the unfairness of it all - David Horn
About £500 if you want a camera that automatically records a collision. Surprised there aren't cheaper models available; I can see a huge market for a camera with an accelerometer that grabs the 30 seconds prior to an accident.
the unfairness of it all - Altea Ego
You are alive. No-one died, no one is badly hurt, your car got dented. Get over it, and get a life.

You want no crumple zones? hmm you may well not want to be in the next accident you have or the first statement above may not be true.
------
< Ulla>
the unfairness of it all - Armitage Shanks {p}
How's that going to work DH? Huge accident with massive g forces but how is the camera going to start 30 seconds before it? I guess you mean some sort continuous loop recording device which will record all the time and stop 5 secs after the application of G forces. How is your career in aviation BTW, asking as an old pilot to a young one?
the unfairness of it all - Chris White
I'm a little hazy on this so may have got the facts wrong but aren't there some insurers in America who install video cameras into cars, possibly only for younger drivers............

I'm sure someone can clarify or I may have imagined it all ;-)
i am over it

i still think we need some reforms to get this scum off the road, its a little more impotant than 35 in a 30, the police should have the resources to deal with such scum

this system is not sustainable, cos the ordinary hardworking folk wont put up with it indefinitely

the unfairness of it all - Hamsafar
See if the vahicle is on the Motor Insurance Database
www.askmid.com/
If not, I'd go to the Police in the morning.
my insurance company has already told me that its insured, company policy, doesnt mean the scum will tell the truth does it?
the unfairness of it all - Altea Ego
It was an accident, he is insured, you have no idea if he is going to admit its his fault or not.

At this point - why is he scum?
------
< Ulla>
the unfairness of it all - moulder
he drove into you. made a mistake. thats why its called an accident. Scum?

Have you never had a near miss thats your fault after a temporary lapse of concentration in your accident free 10 years?

If not, then you should be doing 45 in a 30, not 35 as you're obviously such a superior being compared to us other mortals!
he is scum because he changed direction at the last moment, counter to what he was indicating, with no knowledge of what was in his blind spot, breaking all the rules of the road flow where he was, it wasnt a small lapse of concentration, it was a massive total case of dangerous driving breaking every rule in the book

im not claiming to be "superior" im fairly average, reasonably safe, and DONT drive wrecklessly like this idiot did

he is scum because in my view he is dangerous on the road, and is exacltly the kind of driver that should be feeling the full pressure of the legal system etc

the unfairness of it all - Pugugly {P}
OK Rant over. Less of the scum stuff. And its "reckless" by the way. "Wreckless" is when someone subsequently makes off with a crashed car leaving owner devoid of same.It must be true I heard it on I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 16/12/2007 at 19:51

the unfairness of it all - Big Bad Dave
"and its "reckless" by the way. "Wreckless" is when someone subsequently makes off with a crashed car leaving owner devoid of same."

That hit my funny spot. First time I've cracked a smile all day after the stress of putting the damned tree up.
the unfairness of it all - moulder
I had a head on with a corsa 3 months ago and the driver of said corsa lost control because she was driving far too fast around a bend. She came round sideways and then veered into my lane right in front of me.

Is she scum? No, incompetent on that day, probably in a rush like your van driver. she didnt try to kill me, just didnt drive well.

Personally I wasn't upset, just glad i managed to move most of my car out of the way so i just caught her with my corner. Otherwise because of the angles involved I think that she would have died.

We all walked away and of which I am thankful for that. My car was badly bent, but its a piece of metal and is therefore unimportant in the great scheme of things.

Someone has violated your space and your property and youre annoyed, but I think you just need to take a step back and get a different perspective on things. One day you may need someone to do the same when you do something silly - we all do sometimes!

Edited by Webmaster on 17/12/2007 at 20:00

the unfairness of it all - oilrag
I think I`ve been hit around three times over the years. Can`t remember feeling bad about the other driver though, I just think `thats an accident` or `thats life.`

Unlike if someone gets caught speeding ;)

(thats happened to me three times too (well spaced out though)... still can`t work up a sweat over it.

Perhaps we need personality screening for anger at driving license application time, I think that would save a lot of trouble....;)

Regards
if someone was driving normally and just misjudged it, was a few inches the wrong way at the wrong time, or even braked too late, then yes im open to accident as way to describe it

driving an HGV like this guy did is nothing of that sort

his excuse at the time was that he was lost, and thats why he changed direction at the last minute with no idea what was around him

he is driving a van, he is a young lad, he is exactly the sort of character who probably drives like this regularly and gets away with it

its not good enough, and yes im currently cheesed off, but with my rational head on i really think the forces of law and order could do more to make the roads safer than just ignore this kind of thing

the unfairness of it all - oilrag
"driving an HGV like this guy did"

"he is driving a van"

"but with my rational head on"

Better switch back to your other head, cos that one`s got him driving two different vehicles ;);)

Regards ;)
the unfairness of it all - PoloGirl
As someone who's been there more than once, and knows that all the "it's only a car" and "at least you're still alive" malarky means nothing to you right now... some advice.

Have a bath, have a drink, go to bed. Let the insurers try and deal with it - no point worrying about what he may or may not admit until they've spoken to him. Save the anger and stress until it's needed. You'll just give yourself a headache.

On a practical note, you wont lose 2 years no claims if he admits it's his fault. You just send a copy of the cheque from his company for your excess to your insurer and they reinstate it. (You might find you pay more for few years because of the simple fact you've been in an accident, even a no-fault one, but it's a tiny amount).

Also, consider claiming direct from his insurance rather than involving your insurer (appreciate it may be too late for this now), and if you don't feel safe in a KA courtesy car, ask for a bigger one. Worked for me.

theres got to be a market for a "proper" protected NCB where you really are protected if its not your fault (not the version at the moment where the premiums go up in practise anyway!), even if the other party doesnt admit it, and where you get a decent courtesy car for longer than 2 weeks (lets face it this isnt going to be fixed in two weeks), and even where they bring a private criminal prosecution where the police cannot be bothered, where you get some cameras in the car to protect your position in situations like this

id pay for it

and yes i have some sympathy for the rules of the road in texas where idiots like this would get themselves shot

the unfairness of it all - L'escargot
theres got to be a market for a "proper" protected NCB where you really are
protected if its not your fault (not the version at the moment where the premiums
go up in practise anyway!)

The last time I made a claim on my protected NCD policy I waited 3 months for the dust to settle and then I got an online quote from my insurer. It was identical to the quote I got 5-6 months earlier, i.e. before the claim.
--
L\'escargot.
the unfairness of it all - Ben 10
I sympathise with you. The regular posters have rounded on you as they seem to always do. Patronising comments which show they probably condone the white van man behaviour. Get a life, they say, why you almost lost one.
Get over it, why, you're sharing a traumatic experience. They don't see that.
Poor driving or collisions that endanger my family make me seethe too.
I passed a white van on the M1 recently. He was in lane 2. And driving quite slow. I passed him in lane 3 and looked across to see him doing a crossword in a newspaper, leaning across the wheel on his forearms. No hands on the wheel.
He probably drives like this day in day out. And never gets caught.
Too many bullies on this forum who think they know best, and don't want to here others opinions. Constructive criticism is fine, but slagging off for the sake of it is not on. So before the resident pack rounds on me, I'm off, had enough. Thought this was going to be a mature forum, but hey, it might get better. So this is my last post. No, stop cheering!
Good night, safe motoring.

Edited by scribe on 22/01/2008 at 21:59

Protected no claims discount seems like a good idea when my policy comes up in
Jan!

Definitely.
the unfairness of it all - I'm a Pane
Sorry to hear about this. However, next time don't go for the cheapest insurance quote - if you have been 10 years accident free you really should have paid the (very) little extra a proper protected no claims policy would have cost. As others have said, the reality is that you probably won't lose NCB once all this has been concluded. If so, think very carefully at next renewal!!
i dont think there are any proected ncb schemes that dont put the premium up a certain amount anyways

No, the premium probably goes up over all each year but whatever the premium is you will get XX% off it for being claim free. If you are on a maximum no claim the premium will go up - if you are still earning no claims an extra 10 discount might offset the annual increase.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 16/12/2007 at 21:29

i really dont think this is the way it works

having seen friends back to back one genuinely claims free and the other with minor claims protected by protected NCB the second pays more... you can test it yourself by getting some quotes as well

im sure an insurance expert can explain why

Yes but were your friends driving the same Group of car and insured with the same company, did they have children or risky named drivers on the policy? To get a fair comparison you must compare like with like! What I said is how it worked for me ie once you are on a max no claims you premium with probably go up year by year, slightly, because the company raises the premium and then give you 70% off it. If you are still earning no claims the annual decrease in your premium may well be more than the company's increase and your premium will go down slightly
no they were otherwise the same

protected ncb doesnt work anyways cos you need to move company most years to keep your premium competitive, much harder to keep competitive with protected element

and i dont appear to be insured for the courtesy car for more than 14 days, the travel to the body repair shop, the time off work sorting it out, the loss of value of what will become a heavily repaired car, etc etc

ah well
the unfairness of it all - bell boy
no blame?
will check the company name in the morning as i think the link i gave was wrong (long day see)
google it
ive seen this in action this last 4 months and i have to say its the most productive professional get results company that i have ever seen
they deserve a gong and a reward for kicking insurance companies and assesers up the butt
how many out of a 100 ?
100/100
i have absolutely nothing to do with them

Edited by bell boy on 16/12/2007 at 22:50

the unfairness of it all - hxj

Because statistically if you've had one accident you are more likely to have another, therefore you are a higher risk therefore you pay a larger premium.
i dont think there are any proected ncb schemes that dont put the premium up
a certain amount anyways

Not true. Try CIS.
The unfairness of it all - Kevin
Do you have legal cover on your policy?

Do you keep a camera in the car?

Did you take photos of the aftermath?

Did you check that his registration and tax disc matched?

There are some simple precautions you can take to help you in situations like this.

>he is scum because he changed direction at the last moment, counter to what he was indicating, with
>no knowledge of what was in his blind spot,

It's always a bit dodgy if you're in someone's blind spot - I try to avoid it.

Kevin...
The unfairness of it all - Gromit {P}
If its any consolation, I was hit by a truck insured on a company policy earlier this year. Driver swore it wasn't his fault (he also tried to leave the scene of the accident), fleet manager didn't want to know and their insurer had a different, but equally clueless, "operative" on the phone each time I called them.

On good advice, I asked my insurer to pursue the claim as I'm fully comp. Got the car back on the road within a week. It took six months, but the third party admitted full liability and my NCB is back where it was. Sincerely doubt I'd have got the same result if I'd claimed myself.

FWIW, don't keep a dog and bark yourself - let your insurer handle it. That's what you pay them for. Keep calm and stick to hard facts when it comes to making your claim.

Good luck!
Gromit
The unfairness of it all - L'escargot
........ don't keep a dog and bark yourself - let your insurer handle it.

I agree. They have the expertise and resources to sort things.
The unfairness of it all - retgwte
the insurance company now say they have sent a copy of everything i have said and my diagrams to the other drivers insurance company for them to forward to the driver for his comments, cos they have not heard from the driver direct

i explained my concern that they should really try and get his side of the story before exposing what we have to say, but theyve already done it and apparently i dont have any say in the matter

i fully expect to get stung with loss of ncb

happy im not

impressed with insurance business im not

impressed with the other driver even less so

The unfairness of it all - FP
First of all, my sympathy and commiseration for all the hassle you're having.

However, don't despair yet. At least the other driver is insured and his name and address are known. So there's hope yet.

The way I see it, the other driver is saying nothing, even to his own insurance company. This cannot look good for him. His IC is putting your side of things to provoke some kind of response - effectively he's been accused of causing an accident.

Hopefully, he may wriggle, but it won't do him any good. Don't assume the worst.

Let us know how you get on.
The unfairness of it all - Altea Ego
impressed with the other driver even less so

Ok NOW you can start calling him Scum.