insurance no claims ..how long does it keep for? - steveo3002
okay up until last year ive always had my own car insurance and had full no claims discount

due to not needing to drive a lot i SORNed the car and have been using out other car as a named driver on my partners insurance

how long after my own insurance expired will my no claims discount stand for ? im keen not to lose it all

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/10/2007 at 17:47

insurance no claims ..how long does it keep for? - blue_haddock
I'm fairly certain if you don't use it for 2 years it is lost.
insurance no claims ..how long does it keep for? - Ruperts Trooper
I also think it's two years.

Why not alternate the insurance for your partner's car, one year in your name with them as named driver - the next in their name with you as named driver. As long as you correctly declare which of you is the main driver you'll both be able to maintain your NCB.
insurance no claims ..how long does it keep for? - blue_haddock
As rupert suggests if 2 people are insuring one car it's best to alternate year to year to keep both no claims discounts going.
insurance no claims ..how long does it keep for? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I recall mention of 2 years as well. Some years ago I was mightily peeved to find that NCB earned in Abu Dhabi was not recognised! To get a year claim free is really difficult! I passed an accident in which 6 people had been killed n a collision at an X roads controlled by traffic lights. Back to the thread - 2 years I think
insurance no claims ..how long does it keep for? - steveo3002
i'll have it in use before 2 years is up no probs

if i did try to insure the partners car , would it cost extra when i say im not the reg owner etc?
insurance no claims ..how long does it keep for? - Ruperts Trooper
If you were simply sharing a car with a mate it would be so easy, perhaps not possible, but registration details have never caused problems for my wife and I.

I'm unsure whether "partner" status is viewed differently to "married" in car insurance terms.
insurance no claims ..how long does it keep for? - RaineMan
I was in this situation some years ago and 're-cycled' the insurance after two years as the broker told me otherwise I would lose the NCB. The extra premium at that time (circa 10 years ago) was +10% for wife and +25% any other status - subect to age, experience, etc.
insurance no claims ..how long does it keep for? - daveyjp
Up to 3 years ago LV kept the NCB 'open' for four years. My wife bought a new car in Jan this year after a break of three years and they provided proof of 4 years NCB.
insurance no claims ..how long does it keep for? - AM
Usually two years