Passenger airbags and reinstatement - ukbeefy
I have wondered looking at a lot of cars which have passenger airbags concealed under a smooth dashboard surface that is continuous (rather than looking like they are in a separate box/cassette with a "door" or flap that opens) does it mean that if it goes off the entire dashboard has to be replaced?

Or have they engineered it so that a new "skin surface" can be attached over the dashboard structure?

I'd imagine otherwise even fairly low speed shunts could end up with a massive bill just to reinstate the airbags and dashboard.
Passenger airbags and reinstatement - Pugugly {P}
I've always wanted to know that as well.
Passenger airbags and reinstatement - Altea Ego
Dash replacement. Which is why an airbag deployment can write off a car.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Passenger airbags and reinstatement - ukbeefy
that was what I was wondering as you can see especially for second hand vehs with 2 airbags or also side airbags that the chance of it being scrapped is massively higher. How low a speed crash does it have to be before an airbag does not deploy?
Speed does not come into it really. There are many sensors and decelerometers on a modern car used to trigger an airbag(s) deployment.

When I crashed the laguna airbags ripped the dash apart, the steering wheel hub, the R/H seat side and the R/H headlining.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Passenger airbags and reinstatement - jc2
There are usually weakened areas under the dashboard and also in the steering wheel hub designed to give way when the bag deploys.
Indeed there are, but there is only one surface covering that cant be repaired.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Passenger airbags and reinstatement - Zippy123
Beauty over practicality.

But then again, I never did like the cassette type of airbag. They looked ugly.

The cost of repairs would be a pain for an older car and yes, probably does lead to write offs, but better the car than the person!
Its comes into play on most cars these days. A two or three year old car could well be written off by airbag deployment. At 1500+ quid to replace a set of bags, a dash, some seats the headlining, it does not take much other mechanical damage to tip it over the edge
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Passenger airbags and reinstatement - Blue {P}
Any impact hard enough to depoly the airbags will often, but not always, be enough to write the car off on it's own. If you trawl through salvage websites there are lots of written off vehicles there that *haven't* had the bags deploy.

I always take the view that if I'm going to crash that badly I want to see more "bangs for my buck" so the more airbags the better :-)

Blue