Cross threaded head/spark plug - pyj
can removing a brand new spark plug from the head, ( had to use the spark plug tool to remove it all the way out it was that tight) The engine had only done less that a 100mls and had misfiring problems and kept stopping when warm and not restarting. Can it cross thread the top third of the head, it has not been cross threaded all the way down which u would expect if done when manufactured, but we did not put the spark plug in again as it would not pick up a thread, so am trying to find a reason for the top third of the head to be cross thread!!!
cross threaded head/spark plug - bell boy
if its something like a cast iron fiesta/ka head if you dont clear the gunge before plug removal then there is a possibility you could get something fall in to the thread halfway into refitting a plug and possibly cause your problem
to summarise,if you fitted a new plug and at the wind down stage it went tight ,you would remove it and find out why the tightness,yes?
You say new engine so i dont understand really? if car or engine new and you have a misfire why isnt the seller looking at this rather than you?
cross threaded head/spark plug - pyj
sorry, took vehicle straight out of the country, therefore was unable to get assistance from dealer, was advised by them to change spark plugs to solve problems. We never got as far as putting another spark plug in. So we seem to have an unusal problem that possibly removing a spark plug caused the cross treading, which as far as i can guess doesnot happen! But to get the plug out was not easy, so what happened!
cross threaded head/spark plug - bell boy
i really dont know,i can only think that there was something in the thread on the plug or in the head that on being removed caused the jamming and your problem
ive never seen anything like this as i say it can happen if say a foreign body got into the thread on fitment and a power tool was possibly used to torgue the plug up with no torque stting on the power tool
cross threaded head/spark plug - pyj
thanks, had not thought bought it being done up too tight, but then with the amount of force needed to undo the plug, is possible. The head is aliminum so soft!! Its hard when you are trying to explain to the dealer that you have not caused the cross threading, and when it is only partially cross threaded at the top you need suggestions of the cause.

All suggestions welcome

cross threaded head/spark plug - oilrag
Put in cross threaded at the factory, I had that once with an engine. All the other plugs spun out fine..
cross threaded head/spark plug - Aprilia
Put in cross threaded at factory. They got it 1/3 way down and realised the problem. Wound it out and put it in properly - leaving the top 1/3 damaged. Helicoil your best bet, unless you can get a new head under warranty. Most brands have pan-EU warranty these days.
cross threaded head/spark plug - FotheringtonThomas
Helicoil your best bet unless you can get a new head under warranty.

A helicoil should be quite cheap, too - will it alter to any extent the temperature characteristics viz. what sparking plug to use?
cross threaded head/spark plug - oilrag
No
cross threaded head/spark plug - Lud
If I had to cope with this (instead of returning the car and asking for a proper one) I would reason that the original plug's thread might have been damaged at the bottom end at the same time that the internal thread in the head was being damaged at the top end.

I would obtain a new plug, smear the threads with copper ease or something of the sort, and insert it straight. If the engine problems resulted from a poor seal with the original plug this might cure it. But I would only be 75 per cent optimistic.
cross threaded head/spark plug - Number_Cruncher
To expand upon oilrag's delightfully concise answer - which I tend to agree with;

The proportion of heat that passes via the spark plug threads depends upon whether you have a hot or a cold plug to begin with. If you have a plug that is towards the hot end of the spectrum, there's no direct connection between the hot central electrode & insulator and the thread area, and the detail of the thread will make no difference to the operating temperature of the plug. On the other hand, a cold plug has a direct connection to the thread area, and more heat passes via this path - possibly up to 40% of the total heat. The helicoil would introduce an extra interface and there would be an extra thermal resistance because of the extra discontinuity.

If I were faced with this situation, I would fit a helicoil and a set of platinum electrode plugs - they have a broader heat range than standard plugs.

Number_Cruncher
cross threaded head/spark plug - jc2
This car would have platinum plugs in anyway-should have a P or PP in the plug number.
cross threaded head/spark plug - jc2
Just realized that no-one ever said what car/engine-got the impression somewhere that it was a late KA.
cross threaded head/spark plug - Number_Cruncher
>>Just realized...

Until you said that, I was in awe of your powers!

;-)

Number_Cruncher
cross threaded head/spark plug - Cliff Pope
I have very rarely found a previously untouched bolt to rip the thread when undoing for the first time. I assumed it must have been caused by some dirt when originally assembled, or else a small machining flaw causing a hot spot when tightening.
I think the golden rule with spark plugs is to be very cautious the moment you become unable to turn them with fingers alone. At that point it is worth squirting in lubricant, and then working it backwards and forwards, each time trying to extend the range over which it moves freely. If you just go blindly on, whether screwing or unscrewing, then it can get intensely hot and I think cause localised welding and then ripping.