Car insured twice - LHM
I've just recently taken out a two vehicle policy for SWMBO's car and mine. Her policy had expired, but mine still has about a month to run, so my car is effectively covered by two policies for this time.

I didn't think it would be a problem, but what would happen should I need to make a claim during this time?
Car insured twice - bell boy
claim on the one with the lowest excess
cant understand how this has slipped through, are all details the same?
my understanding is that all abi members can instantly confirm if there is insurance running on any particular plate
this is the anpr way to confirm if vehicle is insured
Car insured twice - LHM
Hmm, I just tried getting an online quote with Tesco and they seem only too happy to take my money for a policy starting tomorrow - strange that they didn't flag the two existing policies on the car!!
Car insured twice - DavidHM
Why not just cancel the superfluous one?
Car insured twice - LHM
Why not just cancel the superfluous one?

>>

Because the insurer charges £55 to cancel :-(
Car insured twice - Dalglish
but mine still has about a month to run, so my car is effectively covered by two policies for this
time

so what is the problem with cancelling the one with one month to run ?
think laterally. find solutions. why make a problem where there is none?
Car insured twice - Blue {P}
So could you not have simply changed the start date for cover on your car? I know with Admiral's Multicar policy it was possible to insure each car as and when it was required.

If you have to make a claim with two policies running I'd be surprised if the insurers didn't start causing you grief. Remember they only check their fancy databases when you come to make a claim, they just trust the information that you give them at the quote stage until this point.

Blue
Car insured twice - a900ss
I hope you have 3 sets of No claims bonus then. One for your wife's car, one for your car on your old policy and one for your car on your new policy!!!

Your new insurer will probably ask for proof of NCB and if it is being used by another policy (even if you are 'insuring' the same car twice) they will not give you the discount. They will come back to you and ask for the extra cash.

Should you have an accident whilst both policies are running, both insurers will insist on the other insurer paying. You will only end up the loser by the delay in sorting it all out.

Pick up the phone, cancel your old insurance, it will be much easier in the long run.
Car insured twice - LHM
'Old' insurance now cancelled. They didn't mention any cancellation fee when I phoned, although one is stated on the policy docs. Peace of mind now restored :-)
Car insured twice - Stuartli
My understanding is that you cannot have two (or more) insurance policies covering one vehicle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Car insured twice - FarSide
They won't charge more than the value of the policy left to run. I think I read that this week, they've changed their policy due to complaints.
Car insured twice - CGNorwich
If you insure a car, indeed anything twice, and make a claim you are legally obliged to advise the Insurance company of the existance of the other policy in the event of a claim The principle of contribution would apply and the claim would be split 50/50 between the policies.
Car insured twice - milkyjoe
buy one get one free
Car insured twice - Cliff Pope
Lots of things are insured twice - that doesn't matter. What obviously does matter is if you tried to claim twice.
Example: I might have personal liability cover that insures me against accidental damage I might do to other people's property - my tree falling onto next door's shed, the postman slipping on the frosty path, or my tripping over a ming vase in a museum.
But each of those might well be alternatively covered as well. Next door probably have their own house insurance, I would hope the Post Office has an insurance scheme for its staff, and the museum might have insurance too.
I understand that in each case, there would be a first line, followed by the second if the first wouldn't pay. Similarly I have car insurance for third party damage. But if my insurance company goes bust, the injured party could claim on his own comprehensive policy.