Which will last longer? - cattleman6
I just want to say a very big and genuine thankyou to Gromit {P}, Mad Maxy and stunorthants 26 for taking the time and trouble to reply to my email. I have learnt a lot from your replies.
I personally found the quality of the Lexus IS 250 and 220D sport outstanding. The Audi A4 2.0 litre diesel is also a lovely car.The cabin quality is darned good with Audi.I think it is a very good looking car. I noticed the servicing price is far less with the Audi than it is with Merc. or Lexus. If you get a 140 bhp 2.0 diesel the insurance is at a lower level. The better 170 bhp 2.0 litre diesel Audi has the highest insurance of the three cars unfortunately ( around the 2.0 litre mark on all the three makes). One just has to wait and see what the Mercedes C Class will be like in the mettle. I know with the Lexus the 250 is quite thirsty and the diesel 220 apparently didn't have the best gear ratios. They say the 220.D sport has much better gear ratios, but being sport it will have a hard ride. They are all lovely cars though.
Which will last longer? - Mad Maxy
No worries, mate!
Which will last longer? - Gromit {P}
You're welcome! Also, you can still get the A4 with the 115bhp 1.9 in the Irish market. If you're able to charge mileage to a business, have a close look at this - apparently at Civil Service rates (the maximum the Revenue Commissioners will accept without too much query) a 1.9 engine gives the highest mileage-rate-to-running-cost payback. The VRT on a new car, and road tax, also take quite a jump on moving up from 1.9 to 2.0 litre.

Whatever you settle on, good luck and many years of happy motoring with it!
Which will last longer? - cattleman6
Very many thanks Gromit {P} and for giving me that information.