A tear in my eye - a sale is made. - colin-e
Last week I finally sold my trusty 1990 Toyota Celica.

She has served me well for the last six years, and I feel more than a little sad for passing her on.

It was a little strange watching her drive off into the night, as I don't often get to see my cars being driven by someone else.

I needed to sell her, as my back problems are getting worse, and I just can't drive a manual car any more. So I placed an advert in the local free ads and sat back secretly hoping for the phone to not ring!

However, a guy phones up, and wants to see the car and asks if I'm open to an offer. I obviously say yes (I'd been very optimistic about the price!).

He pops round, takes a quick look at the car, and starts talking money - before a test drive, or check of the paperwork etc, plus it was getting dark, so you couldn't see the bodywork properly.

A deal is struck, he pays (cash - which I check VERY carefully), and away goes the car.

It was the most surreal car transaction I have ever had! If I'd been a dodgy dealer, I could have sold him any old junk (my Celica was probably the best, standard UK car available - am I modest or what?), but instead he has got an amazing car, and I have got an excellent price for a 17 year old Toyota.

Perhaps the motoring Gods were smiling on me!

----------------------------------
Colin-E
A tear in my eye - a sale is made. - local yokel
What did it fetch?
A tear in my eye - a sale is made. - colin-e
£1200, which I didn't consider to be too bad as I've seen similar age / spec Celicas go for £600 - £900.
Colin-E
A tear in my eye - a sale is made. - Hamsafar
Maybe it's just going to get blown up in the making of a film, so as long as it looked real and could be moved, they were happy.
A tear in my eye - a sale is made. - cheddar
Maybe it's just going to get blown up in the making
of a film, so as long as it looked real and
could be moved, they were happy.

He he, surely that would have been on expences so not cash.
A tear in my eye - a sale is made. - jc2
Crying all the way to the bank!!!!!
A tear in my eye - a sale is made. - johnny
My Dad sold a bright yellow Toyota Carina like that some years ago, sold in the dark, pouring with rain, no test drive. The buyer was an asian chap who was driving it back to Pakistan.
A tear in my eye - a sale is made. - T Lucas
Just sold a Land Cruiser Amazon for £32,000 that is going to Pakistan,i'm not sure if its going overland though.
A tear in my eye - a sale is made. - dieselicious
i sold a 1992 Honda Accord a few years back to a chef at an indian restaurant in Bristol. He couldn't speak english, so the deal was struck with the 'front of house' guy who ran up and down the stairs to the kitchen as the two of us negotiated the price. The deal was eventually struck for 600 pounds and a takeaway curry for 2. IMHO the best and most surreal deal i've ever done.

The woman who bought my wife's Citroen Xsara wouldn't even get in the car to look around, let alone go for a test drive. She kept saying "oh, i couldn't possibly, it's your car"!!!!! And then promptly handed over 1100 pounds.

Some people!
A tear in my eye - a sale is made. - Navara Van man
Amazing the number of people who are wiling to buy cars without a test drive. i usualy check all the documents and the engine numbers etc then take the test drive before getting the seller to do one, then a breif under body check ie state of tyres fluid leaks etc then the negotiation starts. My first buys I was fleced but lately with my last two vehicles I have enjoyed the negotiation imensly.