Driving licence - Not changed address! - ivrytwr3
Hey all,

I'm after a bit of advice as i think i have screwed up!!!

I moved to my present address in May 03 and have still not changed my driving licence to reflect this. The reasons been:

a. From 1997 - 2003 i had 3 changes of addresses due to my job (HM Forces).

b. Forgot/lazy (!)

Now i looked at this last year and noticed i have 3 points due for removal on 23 Feb 07, so i was going to send it off then and get the points removed for free when i notified them of my address change. Guess what? Yes, i got stopped the other night for 38mph in a 30mph. I now have to produce my driving licence to the police to be sent off. My questions are:

a. Am i in more trouble for not notifying the DVLA of change of address?

b. Any tips/advice on what my reasons were for not changing earlier?

c. Any tips at all on where to go from here!!!

Thanks for reading.
Driving licence - Not changed address! - GroovyMucker
Why not try being a big boy, telling the truth and taking the consequences?

:-)
Driving licence - Not changed address! - keo-the-dog
As above really own up tell them you forgot as you have not needed to produce your licence for any reason in the period since moving you will probably just get a telling off.(no guarantee mind) Thats all i got and my address was probably ten years out of date...Cheers...Keo
Driving licence - Not changed address! - MikeTorque
Just explain it to the police like it is about your address changes, and take/send along some a few forms of ID to support your driving license.

Having committed a speeding offense your license will be endorsed for the new offence. From what I remember although points are valid for 3 years I think they stay on the license for 4 years, can someone else confirm please ? You'll also need to notify your insurance company asap as failure to do so may invalidate your insurance, and slow down in future.
Driving licence - Not changed address! - csgmart
Yep - points stay on your licence for one year after they expire. Anyone know why this is?
Driving licence - Not changed address! - martint123
Yep - points stay on your licence for one year after they expire. Anyone know why this is?

Slightly the wrong way round. Points last for four years. The three years is for totting up purposes.

dvla says "If you incur 12 or more penalty points within a period of three years you will be liable to be disqualified under the ?totting-up? system. Information on your driving entitlement and endorsements are sent to the courts and police on request."

Martin
Driving licence - Not changed address! - Dwight Van Driver
It is stated that you moved in 2003 nearly 4 years ago at which time you committed the offence of failing to notify change of address.

When you produce, if they report you for the offence ,then they cannot go ahead with the speeding under FPN/Conditional Offer and have to process both offences through a Court. This now becomes a bargaining point. Give a verbal warning to get address notified and FPN can go ahead - no Court - no paperwork- no hassle.

If on production they start reporting you for failing to notify change of address then point out that it is not a continuing offence and limitation on proceedings for this offence has expired under Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 as 3 years have elapsed since the offence was committed.

dvd
Driving licence - Not changed address! - Westpig
it's a minor offence and you have a somewhat reasonable answer, to a degree......be honest and have done with it