Peugeot 306 Battery Charging - Dulwich Estate
It's years since I have had to get involved with mundane things like battery charging. You know the story...car 2 - 3 years old... it's time for a new one!

Anyway, I am now the proud owner of a 1997 non-turbo diesel and a lovely car it is too. It seems a bit slow to turn over when starting and I'm thinking that owing to it's short journeys, the battery might want a charge.

Is it OK to leave the battery in the car and simply connect the charger to the "+" and "-"? Or, are there sensitive parts that will object, so disconnecting it first is a good idea?

PS I don't know the radio code which I ought to find.
Peugeot 306 Battery Charging - Peter D
You can charge it in situ but no more that 6 amps or so. Do not turn the ignition on during charging. Regards Peter
Peugeot 306 Battery Charging - RichardW
It's very unlikely to need charging - you need a lot of oomph to turn over a diesel engine - if the battery is suspect it probably just won't. Best way to charge it is to take it out for a 1/2 run (during the day, when it's not raining!). These engines genrally have whacking great alternators, so that will do the trick. If it's still slow to turn over then more investigation required - eg get the condition of the battery checked
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Peugeot 306 Battery Charging - jc2
Make sure all the battery/starter cables are tight and making good contact.
Peugeot 306 Battery Charging - DP
I agree with the above. Also check (if it's possible) the electrolyte covers the tops of the plates. Top up if necessary with distilled water.

Cheers
DP
Peugeot 306 Battery Charging - Dulwich Estate
Thanks all - I didn't want to wreck half the electrics, but it seems there's no problem.