Wire in clio exhaust - mk124
Last weekend I drove about 100 miles, sometimes really pushing the car on the motorway (since I could, but another story) and reached an indicated 95mph. Upon getting to my destination my GF noticed some very fine wire like stuff that was clumped together like cotton wool coming out of my exhaust pipe. I pulled on this and about 2 meters came out before the 'thread' broke and I was left with 2 peices. 1 peice on the ground and another peice going up into the exhaust to who knows where. I was just wondering if anyone could help tell me what this wire is, what I may have done to my car and the effect on emissions will be?
Wire in clio exhaust - Number_Cruncher
The material is the sound absorbing lining material from within one of the canisters of your exhaust, probably the back-box. The wire was probably used to hold the wadding in its correct place.

Now that the stuff is flapping about, you might experience blockages, or, if you are lucky and have blown the lot out, you will just have a noisier exhaust system.

The best thing to do is to put a new back-box on.

As this is all happening way downstream of the engine and cat, it won't make any significant change to the emissions - unless you get a blockage, which will make the engine run very poorly. You will notice a blockage because the performance will be much reduced, and the operating temperature of the engine will increase beyond it's normal operating point on the gauge.

Number_Cruncher
Wire in clio exhaust - mk124
Thanks Number_Cruncher, very helpfull.