Red light cameras - toosh27
This evening I was at a traffic light waiting to turn right. The green light to go straight-on came on, but the right-turn filter light didn't. Like an idiot I was daydreaming and drove over the line by a few feet, as I hadn't realised the right-turn filter light hadn't come on yet. However I quickly realised my mistake and stopped. The rear of my car was about 3 feet over the line but I hadn't driven far enough out for it to be dangerous. There was noone behind me so I reversed back over the line and waited for the filter light. The only problem with this (apart from the fact that I'm an idiot for daydreaming) is that there was a red-light camera!! Does anyone think I'll get a ticket? If so, do you think I'd be able to successfully appeal?
Red light cameras - Manatee
Was the "green light to go straight on" itself a filter or a normal green - if the latter, then you were OK to go if clear. If not, then I suspect still not a problem - I think they fire when the car is well into the junction.

I find right filters used in conjunction with a full green very irritating - they seem to come on when the oncoming traffic gets a red, but it is surely not their purpose to indicate this and can lead to the dangerous assumption that any filter arrow means the way is clear.
Red light cameras - toosh27
Thanks for replying. I hope you're right. Unfortunately the 'straight-on' light was itself a filter light. I just saw green and instinctively moved and had driven a few feet before I realised
Red light cameras - bell boy
if you get done for that i think we should turn the lights off on this country and all leave
Red light cameras - Lud
There's a place where I regularly turn right before the filter right-turn arrow comes on. You can see a long way up the road, so I just treat it as a normal traffic light. No one should be harassed for anything like that unless they get it badly wrong and do something dangerous. If they give you a hard time, argue. But they probably won't. They aren't all idiots.
Red light cameras - pksknqx
What you did will not result in a 'hit' for the red light camera system, toosh. The camera takes a picture of the back of a car that has run a red, and the camera position means that the car has to go past the red by several metres for the number plate to be visible on the negative (i.e. someone who just carries on through tthe light as if it wasnt there). If you were just "3 feet over the line", all a negative from the camera would show is the empty road.

Imagine if someone was to see a red light coming up with a camera fitted. If he/she overshot the line but came to a stop in the junction but only just over the line, the camera would flash, and take a picture of the empty road. This driver could then drive off, the camera can not take another picture "just in case" - it simply resets and waits for another car to set it off. (I am not suggesting anyone cheats the cameras like this.)
Red light cameras - Hamsafar
But they take two pictures, one second apart. I once saw a car parked on the pavement with it's hazzards on (doing some work on a shop premises) it then drove forward and turned left on the pavement and it got flashed. I was surprised it was picked up, especially as it was going slowly.

See example....
www.stvincent.ac.uk/Resources/Physics/Speed/road/r...l
a right step back in time and 800 film ,i was looking for the horse and trap in the background....
Did you see the "More red light pictures" link? The renault 19 with smoking tyres are it nearly his two funeral cars, or the old volvo with 4 tyre fires? Notice how the first picture is always taken just as the rear wheels touch the stop line.
Red light cameras - pksknqx
That picture of the red metro is from a camera set back from the light. The ones on the lights themeselves aren't able to pick up the rear of the vehicle when it's just over the line. If that car you saw creeping past triggered a camera on the light itself, he may have been flashed, but could have been out of view.
I've never seen a camera on the light, do you mean the IR sensor onthe top?
The requirement is that there is a picture of the red light in the photo.
Red light cameras - drbe
How did they manage to get a picture of a cyclist stopped at a red light?

Nah. It must have been posed.
How did they manage to get a picture of a cyclist
stopped at a red light?
Nah. It must have been posed.

it was the 80"s cyclists did stop in those halycon days...................i think?
Red light cameras - malteser
Hmm - this thread isn't at all how I expected it to be!

Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)