micra cutting out - bob
I have a 1993 16v micra that cuts out intermiterly. I can drive perfect all day and then all of a sudden as you change gear and then hit the gas it begins to shudder and eventually die and stall. It won?t restart for about 5-10 mins, and then as if by magic it will restart and I?m of again. I have read post regarding cold starts but my problem can occur at any time even when the engine is fully warm. The self-test on the ECU says every thing is fine any ideas?
Re: micra cutting out - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
The Airflow meter/throttle body assembly often gives trouble but needs careful diagnosis with a two or three channel oscillosope observing the various outputs while on a road test.
Good news is that remanufactured units are available at about £300 plus fitting and VAT.
Re: micra cutting out - phil ireland
gee Andrew whatever happened to filling dashpot with thinner oil and a new needle valve - total cost £3.12.6d ???

those were the days my friends.
Re: micra cutting out - Bono Estente
We've never had an engine that cut out intermiterly before.

We've had one that revs up espantaneously though.
Re: micra cutting out - Pete
I am not familiar with this breed but, exactly the same symptoms were experienced on a Metro of similar year. Turned out to be the distributor cap.
Cut out was entirely random but when it did, 10 to 15 minutes for the engine to cool down and away again until the next time. Might be worth considering.
Rgds.
Re: micra cutting out - Different Pete
I had similar problem with a 87 Cavalier and a 83 SAAB. In both cases it was the distributor cap.
Re: micra cutting out - Tomo
With deference to all the technocrats, we used to get that with fuel vaporization - most likely when things are really warm.

The cure used to be re-routing the fuel lines, but short of that different petrol might work.

Regards, Tomo