What to do - catcher
I have a 1985 Polo that I used for teaching my daughter to drive. Now she's passed and moved on to a 'better' car, I'm left with the Polo (as well as mine). The car will soon be due for MOT, tax and insurance and although it's in reasonable condition for year, I'm reluctant to spend the best part of £50 to get it through a test only to be able to sell it for less than £100 (and the chances are it will need a bit of work at least). I'm therefore tempted to simply scrap it which seems a shame because it runs well and is reasonable for year. I know it's a fairly simple choice between spending and selling or scrapping but I'm just interested to hear what others might suggest.
Thanks
Catcher
What to do - Pugugly {P}
You should get a reasonable price for scrap. Alternative is to get it MOT'd and flog it for £500.00. Someone would probably pay that for it simply to have 12 months MoT on it.
What to do - Peter D
£500 no! no! this is a 1985 Polo not a 1995 polo. You could advertise it as is and be honest and sell it £100 or of course get a pre MOT inspection and see if it would pass. Regards Peter
What to do - blue_haddock
Scraping it will get you at best £50 but quite likely much less than that. The value for the car even with an MOT is minimal so the best bet would be to whack it on ebay.
What to do - bell boy
scrap it and advise dvla accordingly
What to do - Pugugly {P}
Yeah £500.00 notes is a bit much. Probably worth a punt on e-bay but may be more trouble than it's worth.
What to do - Stuartli
The new car tax ratings would probably also go against it from the point of emissions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
What to do - PoloGirl
Hmm...not worth spending loads on advertising if it's only going to sell for £100.

Freecycle it?
Park it up with a poster in the window?
Postcard in local supermarket?

You never know, someone might be looking for a very cheap little car for some reason or other. In any case, doesn't it cost money to scrap cars?

What to do - Altea Ego
A *full* years ticket will *easily* sell for 250 quid.

base your plans and calculations round that.
What to do - Pugugly {P}
Have a look at the Bangernomics website.
What to do - Civic8
>>A *full* years ticket will *easily* sell for 250 quid.

It was true to say years ago an MOT was worth £500,£250- 10 years ago.

On a car that age now, its cheaper to scrap it and try for a scrappy that will take free of charge.

Not easy to find in my area,and will probably be more trouble than its worth advertising it for spares or repair,I now cannot find anyone that will take away FOC,minimum charge appears to be around £40/50.

You have to bear in mind when a car is scraped it has to be stripped down of all oils,plastics,and costs them money in doing so.

If you can sell it, I wish you luck in doing so,But would be surprised if you do!.

let us know if you do sell,
--
Steve
What to do - Xileno {P}
I would get an MOT and then put it on ebay. It amazes me what prices some things make. I think people get carried away in auctions and lose their sense of reason.
What to do - markengland
I agree with Xileno. If its not going to take much to get a years ticket on it, do that and put it on ebay. Test should cost no more than £35 and will be less than a tenner to insert on ebay. If you only got £150 for it (but I reckon you'd get more) you've made a hundred quid which I wouldn't say no to. By the way, it could be purely coincidence but whenever I've sold anything on ebay it always seems to fetch the most if you time it so the auction ends on a Saturday evening. I assume there are more people looking at their PC's during the weekend than mid-week during the day.
What to do - blue_haddock
I've found saturdays to be poor for selling as most people are out and about doing other things - sunday night is when everyone is sat at home on the PC. Place the ad on a thursday night and run it for the full 10 days - gets two weekends worth of viewers then so hopefully it should attract a wider range of bidders.
What to do - markengland
Like we are now I suppose! I'll try that one myself next time. Cheers blue haddock!
What to do - Pugugly {P}
After the footie and Corrers always seem to e busy time..
What to do - local yokel
I time my ebay sales to end at 8.30 pm on Sundays. Never fails.

Even a C reg Polo will fetch £175 with 12 Months MoT I'd wager. Just so long as it's not at Lands End, J'OG's etc. If you are in/close to a big city it'll fly.

I sold a 94 1.6 Tipo with three months ticket and no RFL for £115.
What to do - catcher
Many thanks for all the reeplies. I perhaps should have said, it does have 6 weeks MOT left. Following your advice, I'm going to try selling it as it is by advertising it at work, in the supermarket etc. I've nothing to lose really!

Regards
Catcher