Disclosure to Insurance Company - desmrics
Does anyone know what the correct procedure for the following is?
I am a 38 yr old man and had a number of faints last summer and was told that I had a condition called neuro cardiogenic syncope - this is basically one step up from a common faint. I was told not to drive for six weeks (which I adhered to) and have since been given the ok to drive again. I am taking medicine and have had no reoccurance.

Am I under an obligation to disclose this to my Insurance company? I will if I have to because there is no point in paying the premiun only to have them squirm out of paying should anything happen but I also don't want to unnecessarily give them a chance to fleece more money out of me.

What about when I ring around at renewal time?
Disclosure to Insurance Company - Stuartli
I would inform them, just to cover yourself.

I did so after my wife had had a stroke some years ago and she, in turn, had to inform the DVLA.

There were no insurance premium increases as a result and she did drive again for a short time, but eventually took the decision to give up driving altogether.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Disclosure to Insurance Company - waggy
Yes, best to tell them but if DVLA has not restricted your licence there should be no problem. IC cannot discriminate on grounds of illness/disability. The same applies at renewal

Waggy
Disclosure to Insurance Company - Mike H
No question about it, tell them. I broke my wrist some years ago, and after a couple of weeks started driving again. My doctor told me he had no qualms about me driving, I told the insurance company & they were quite happy - no premium increase. If you did have an accident whilst unwell, there's no question of them "squirming" out of it - you are at an increased risk level and they are fully entitled to know about it.
Disclosure to Insurance Company - No FM2R
>>Am I under an obligation to disclose this to my Insurance company?

Yes. Now.
Disclosure to Insurance Company - Big Bad Dave
I suffered with a similar or maybe the same condition when I was a little boy. I had several blackouts which my GP refused to take seriously until it happened one summer in the toilets of a camp site and I had to have 10 stitches in the back of my head. It?s something I just seem to have grown out of and hasn?t happened for 25 years touch wo...

thud

ZZZZZZZZ zzzzzzzzz ZZZZZZZZ zzzzzzzzz
Disclosure to Insurance Company - Adam {P}
Booo. Get off!!!
Disclosure to Insurance Company - Altea Ego
Adam

That is not very charitable, taking the mickey out of the disabled.

I sympathise. I too suffred from the same problem during my teens and it still affects me from titme to time now. Fortunately its now been diagnosed and I go to cure meetings once a week. Funny tho the AA there dont talk about car recovery.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Disclosure to Insurance Company - Adam {P}
It wasn't me!

Disclosure to Insurance Company - aaflyer
Agree with your view, TVM. I read often and I think that Adam's views are good, but I think he has been a bit of a clampet here!

Anyway, if the medical advisers at the DVLA are happy and have given the original poster a licence, then I see no reason to inform the insurance companies. I have a medical restricted licence. Phoned the insurance company (major one, I should add) and they were quite happy not to take any more information than I've given to you in this post. Their view was: got a licence? Yes? No problem. No need to declare anything...

AA
Disclosure to Insurance Company - Pugugly {P}
No need to declare anything...

Until it comes to a major pay out....
Hi, Pugugly. Point taken but could you elaborate, please. Are you saying that an insurance company wouldn't pay out if you hadn't told them - even though the DVLA had said it was ok to drive?

Cheers,

AA
Disclosure to Insurance Company - Pugugly {P}
They might or might not, but I guess that if they had a multi million pound payout they would wriggle out of you. Read the small print in the insurance documents. Mark (above) knows his insurance onions, I would follow his advice.
Disclosure to Insurance Company - No FM2R
You must disclose all materials facts. If in doubt as to whether or not a fact is material, then you should declare it and allow your insurer to determine whether or not he fact is material. The onus is upon you. There is no duty on the insurer to ask for any information, to seek that information or even to tell you that you must tell them.

Whether or not an undisclosed fact is material would need to be justified by the insurance company. This is normally taken to mean that had they known about this fact they would have treated the case differently - whether that be excess, policy conditions, increased premium or declined risk.

Where such an incident takes place then the insurer may;

1) Refuse all claims for areas not covered by RTA compulsion - essentially damage to you and yours.

2) Must still pay out damages/expenses/claims made by third parties for injury or loss, but this money is fully recoverable, along with their expenses, from you - and it can be a lot of money.

3) Cancel your insurance and decline future insurance from you making you pretty much uninsurable - certainly at anything like normal rates.

It doesn't always come to that, and some non-disclosures wouldn't warrant it, but if in doubt you really should always tell the insurer.

I haven't been in insurance in a while, and it seems that there may have been some changes in the way that an insurer is allowed to treat illness and disability in the face of the DVLA granting a licence. Seems unlikely, but it might be true. However, so what ?

What could you be frightened of ? That they might increase your premium ? Not likely, but surely better that than finding you are uninsured when it really matters ?

Thank you, NOFM2R. Interesting points, well made. Good to know from a professional's position.

AA
Disclosure to Insurance Company - jc2
I'm a diabetic and when diagnosed,the doctor told me I was legally required to tell the DVLA,who sent me a form to fill in;filled it in and returned it and was sent a letter by the DVLA to tell me if there were no changes to my condition and medication I was OK to drive.Contacted both my insurance companies who confirmed that as long as I had the DVLA's permission to drive,there were no restictions and no increase in premium but did confirm that they must be told of my condition,any changes to it and,indeed,any other conditions.Note that,it is they who make the decision,not you.
Disclosure to Insurance Company - desmrics
Thanks everyone for advice. Pretty much as I expected but reassuring nonetheless to have the benefit of some knowledgable people. Interesting that the consensus seems to be that Insurance Cos don't weigh the premiunm for this type of thing - must give them a call today.