Polish Driver Insurance Help - kennybase
Hi all,

Friend from Poland has just moved over here, is buying a car and obviously needs to insure it.
He is using his Polish license for now - how long does he have before he must change it for a UK one?

Also, do any BRs know of a good insurance company that will cover foriegn visitors? He is only looking for TPFT I think as car (the Rover Metro I was asking about before!) is only going to him for about £550.

TIA

Ben
Polish Driver Insurance Help - martint123
www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvingb.htm

If you have a valid Community licence, this will authorise you to drive in this country for the periods set out below. Alternatively, you can apply to exchange your licence for a British one at any time.

Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB -

Ordinary licence holders
Until aged 70 or for 3 years after becoming resident whichever is the longer period.

I think getting his license changed to a UK one will help. Insurers don't like things out of the normal - broker?

Martin
Polish Driver Insurance Help - Pugugly {P}
I have details of a broker run by a Polish ex-pat in work. I will
update on Monday.
Polish Driver Insurance Help - slowdown avenue
international licence holders pay high premiums,because they keep crashing, pass your test uk.

The above post has been reported, with text as follows:

This is a brute generalisation which is not backed up by any numbers. I am working for a major insurer as a contract renewal clerk, and the calculated risk for international drivers is one of the middle to low components of the underwriters, way after young British drivers (male and female) and the location. We hardly get claims on that basis from International drivers.

I've left the original post in so that the generalisation isn't repeated.

smokie, BR Moderator
Thanks all for the info. That broker's details will be great for him thanks.

He has no problem getting a UK Licence, he had to do it when he was in the States.

We'll wait for those details. :-)
Polish Driver Insurance Help - defender
I helped a polish employee to get insurance cover last august,he got his father to send over a certificate of entitelment to a no claims bonus from his insurance co in poland ,as it is now in the ec ins co here honoured it to give him full no claims
Also very useful to know! Thank you :-)
Polish Driver Insurance Help - cumfray1
We have quite a few Polish drivers working for us & they had no problems getting insurance & they are driving Alfa 156's & Mercs. The driver of the Merc E class S plate paid £1k fully comp & he's only 24.
For a Rover Metro 1.1, he was quoted £525 fully comp (but that was using a price runner type website)

Maybe he should get a Merc instead!