Buying plates - quizman
A friend recently wanted a new number plate for his Landrover trailor. He went to a parts company with the log book but was told that he needed a photo driving licence, or a passport. As he did not have either, they said that a utility bill would do.

I thought a log book was the only thing that was necessary. Can anybody clear this up please?
Buying plates - Steve Pearce
Proof of identity has been a requirement for some time, there is some mention of it on the DVLA site here:

www.dvla.gov.uk/faq/faq_register_numberplate.htm
Buying plates - bert-j
Go to:
www.fancyplates.com/

No documentation required as they are in NI
Buying plates - Galaxy
I don't think it's needed in Scotland either.
Buying plates - trancer
Would those fancy plates be legal to use here?. I recall reading on another forum that they don't have manufacturer info on them (postcode, PH# etc) and that those were a legal requirement.
Buying plates - AK76
i have plates from them.

No problems, no tickets, and went through MOT at a reputable center ok.
Buying plates - Altea Ego
Manufacturer and postcode? Make one up and order it as bottom line on the plate.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Buying plates - Wally Zebon
There's no need for ID in Scotland unless you go to Halfords.

They want ID because their head office is in England and its company policy.

Buying plates - Steve Pearce
Halfords can be inconsistant, I bought a lighting board from them. Man at the desk said "You'll need a number plate for that" and promptly made one up; no V5 and ID shown!
Buying plates - quizman
Thanks for the answers. I've looked at fancyplates, they seem good, and cheap too. Next time I want some plates I will go to them.

They are on my Favorites!