Do you want the Road Tax system to change? Do you have thoughts on the potential changes to the Road Tax system? | No thanks

Should I renew my driving licence a few months before the expiry date?

My driving license expires in February 2021. Should I apply for a renewal now or wait?

Asked on 19 November 2020 by Steve Cuthbert

You get the renewal reminder from DVLA around 2 months before expiry, but I don't think it's an issue to apply now - it'll just mean your licence will expire as soon as your application is approved rather than when your current licence expires; February 2031. If you can apply online, the application should be processed very quickly - so there's no reason to apply early. Paper applications will take longer. To apply online, you need:

- a valid UK passport
- to be a resident of Great Britain - there’s a different service in Northern Ireland
- to pay £14 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card (there’s no fee if you’re over 70 or have a medical short period licence)
- addresses of where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
- your current driving licence (if you do not have your licence you must say why in your application)
- your National Insurance number (if you know it)
- to not be disqualified from driving