Claim Settlement - Ladbroke
Hiya,

I've got a question concerning a claim settlement. Had a damage on my car some month ago. It looks as if the causer (his insurance) is going to pay eventually. Meanwhile I'd rather like to buy another car spending the settlement money on the new one and sell the old one as it is without repair. Do I have the free choice to take a cheque or a repair or is it the discretion of the insurance company.

Thanx!

Claim Settlement - No FM2R
You usually have a choice and rarely is there an issue. However, do be aware in some circumstances the amount you get can be affected.

Firstly if you only lost £50 [say] over the price you could have got had it been in good order that says something about the damage.

Secondly the price that they actually have to pay their recommended repairer to repair the damage might be less than you think.

Lastly, if there is an argument over the size of the payout, then the car will be gone making argument a little difficult.

Perhaps you could give some idea of the type, size of claim and the likely cost of repair against the value of the vehicle ? I might be able to be more specific.

However, as I said, there is rarely an issue. Often insurers would rather give you money since there is so much less hassle for them. Just be a little aware and don't be ignoring any correspondance.
Hi,

thanx very much for your swift reply!
Well I do have three different estimates (because the causer wanted to settle the matter privately at first and asked for some estimates). Then he changed his mind and didn't react any more. The damage (new bonnet, scratches on one mudguard and the roof) was estimated between 800 - 900 quid. But the whole procedure was an absolute pain in the neck and to cut the whole thing short I'd be fine with a ruduction, for instance a cheque of let's say 600 - 700.

How has it gone with the other insurer ? Have they sent any communication or looked at the car ?
Claim Settlement - bathtub tom
I settled an undisputed claim (my car was parked, a lorry reversed into it). I got the necessary estimates, and added my own quote, for a lesser sum. My quote included the phrase: For repair and, or loss of value, at my own discretion. The insurers senr me a cheque. It was for a smaller sum than yours.
That's still the tricky part. Actually my insurance has made massive mistakes and as a courtesy they arrange for the repair and sue the causer to get the money back. So I reckon in the end the other insurance will pay. Problem is, the causer is a craftsman and damaged my car while he was working. At the beginning he was cooperative to settle the matter (signed an acknowledgement of debt ) but on second thought he disregards all further efforts. Particularly he refuses to name his insurance.

Contact his insurer if you have their details. Explain to them that you intend to dispose of the car. You have three estimates for its repair, but if they wish to inspect it themselves then it is available at place x for n days.

They have the option of arranging an inspection without prejudice or obligation. Make sure that you are explicit that if they do not inspect the vehicle wihtin this time they will then have to accept the estimates. Make sure that the esitmates are complete, preferably pro-forma invoices. Ensure that they cover all parts and labour.

Given that you have three estimates they will probably decline to inspect. However, make the offer in writing and ensure that they decline in writing.

Ensure that hwoever is pursuing your claim is aware of this. Advice them in writing with copies of the correspondance.

Do not offer to take a lesser amount at this time. Don't even raise the suggestion.

I would then expect you to be reasonably safe.

Ok ?
Thank's very much for your advice! Hope it pans out after all. The whole matter is really bothersome.
Claim Settlement - Dalglish
ladbroke -

www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023061.htm

gives you the right to claim from the other party's insurer

These Regulations, giving effect to Article 3 of the Fourth Motor Insurance Directive, confer on residents of the 15 Member States a new right to issue proceedings against the insurer of the person responsible for an accident in the UK.
Brilliant! Cheers!