Odd Roadsign - Wally Zebon
I was watching Sky channel 166 last night - The Great British Quiz. OK - So I'm a bit sad, but I find this channel utterly addictive.

The quiz was a roadsign one where they showed 9 roadsigns and asked which ones were real. Well to my amazement, someone won (£800) while I was watching with what seemed to me to be completely wrong answers.
One of the signs was a Give Way sign that I thought was correct, but turned out to be incorrect.

The sign I am asking about though was a red circle (order sign) with a black car in it (facing forward) with a yellow "thing" above it. It was probably meant to represent a flashing beacon like you get on tractors and recovery trucks etc.

Does anyone know what this sign is? Could it be from a different country? Any ideas?

Odd Roadsign - AngryJonny
No vehicles carrying expolsives, seems to be the closest match.

www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs04.htm
Odd Roadsign - Wally Zebon
Thats the one!
Not sure what was wrong with the Give Way sign, but thats definately the sign that I was wondering about.

Thank you

I've never actually seen one.

To me it looks like the next frame in an action sequence following on from "No Motor Vehicles".
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Odd Roadsign - Cliff Pope
Extraordinary. So there is no general prohibition on carrying explosives around in the boot, only in places where that sign is displayed.
I'd have thought they would be banned in town centres, car parks, ouside schools,police stations, for a start.
And on entering a no-explosives zone, I stop and dump them on the pavement?
Odd Roadsign - Onetap
Explosives are pretty safe and not liable to explode. I'd think the petrol in your tank is much more hazardous.

I once helped unload explosives from a lorry (a civilian contractor's ordinary lorry) whilst a squaddie. I was stunned to see that it had to display a Hazchem sign stating what it was carrying. This was 20+ years ago.
Odd Roadsign - IanJohnson
Often seen at the entrance to a tunnel!
Odd Roadsign - Number_Cruncher

Reminds me of an interview question we used to ask graduate mechanical engineers. "What are the square roots of i, where i=sqrt(-1)?"

Number_Cruncher
I dread to think what you were engineering to need to know that. Did Escher do the designs?

----
Odd Roadsign - Number_Cruncher
The usual place complex numbers turned up is when you look at the theory of Fourier transforms. We used them quite extensively to convert time history data, acquired using strain gauges, accelerometer, microphones, and on one project anenometers into frequency domain data. Although you can write the transforms in terms sums of sine and cosine functions, it is much neater and easier to manipulate in the form of one sum of complex exponentials.

As we were quite a poor (financially) group, we would write our own software for this kind of task, as the luxury of buying off the shelf software, and not having to do the sums was not justifiable. I think the approach payed dividends though, because the engineers who had contributed to the data acquisition software development were much more "aware" of what was possible and sensible in terms of data acquisition and the subsequent analysis.

Some of the group's software did continue in development and was sold commercially for a time.

Number_Cruncher

Odd Roadsign - kithmo
www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs04.htm shows it as no vehicle carrying explosives.
Odd Roadsign - johnny
Saw these in S of France this year around Draguignan which is a big garrison town in an area susceptible to forest fires, but never in UK.
Odd Roadsign - Doc
This sign can been seen on the approach to the Woolwich ferry.

Odd Roadsign - Vin {P}
Was the "Give Way" sign the wrong way up (i.e. point at the top rather than the bottom?)

If anyone's interested, the reason for that is so that even if totally obscured by dirt or snow, you can still tell it's a "Give Way". Similarly for the octagonal "Stop" sign. Fascinating, huh?

V
Odd Roadsign - patently
Are you allowed to carry explosives beyond the sign, provided they're not on the car's roof?
Odd Roadsign - kennybase
I take it you're only allowed to carry them as long as they don't explode :-p
Odd Roadsign - Altea Ego
Why dont they put one at the entrances to Airports. This would cure the terrorist problem.
Odd Roadsign - P E
Rectangles inform, triangles warn, circles - obey them.
Odd Roadsign - Vin {P}
"Rectangles inform, triangles warn, circles - obey them."

Octagons? Upside down triangles?

V
Odd Roadsign - P E
No clue about octagon, other than when it has STOP written on it. I am not totally sure what an upside down triangle is.
Odd Roadsign - P E
Sorry Vin, just read your post higher up.