New car for HJ - Paul Robinson
HJ must have been driving his Mondeo for a fair while now. Don?t you think it?s time we chose a new car for him??
Re: New car for HJ - Honest John
I've got a better idea. Buy it for me.

HJ
Re: New car for HJ - Dan J
A predicted response :-)

I know the Vectra does not appear right at the top of your favourties list so I was going to suggest that if Vauxhall happened to offer you, as an esteemed newspaper motoring correspondent, one for a long term roadtest I'd be only to happy to take the burden from you!

Dan
MG for HJ? - David Lacey
What about an MG ZT for a while?
Re: MG for HJ? - David W
Remember HJ wants good value at purchase, sensible running costs and something that'll blend in to the crowd (or the tarmac if a speed camera is involved).

I daren't come up with my pick in case he'll be too rude about it.

The idea of HJ doing a long term Vectra test is valid!!

David

David
Re: MG for HJ? - Brill
Lada?
Re: MG for HJ? - ladas are slow
skoda fabia?
Re: MG for HJ? - Honest John
I had a used Vectra DI on long-term test a few years ago. Supplied at Vauxhall's request by Lance Owen group. No problems with the Evangelical Lance. But the Vectra was pretty dire. Simply refused to handle, perform or give any pleasure at all - even at the pumps. It's only redeeming features were it didn't look too bad and there was no timing belt to snap.

An MG ZT is far too visible for the wrong reasons. Not my style. However, a Rover 75 with the MG ZT running gear would be.

HJ
Re: MG for HJ? - Honest John
No thanks. See car by car.

HJ
Re Vectra for HJ - Flat in Fifth
But HJ if you had the new Vectra out later this year you could test out this sealed for life cam belt thing, and then we could all have a good laugh as you had a damn good rant in the Daily Tele.

How does this sealed for life cam belt thing work then. Life of what? the engine, the cam belt, the life of our hamster? what? Come to think of it our hamster wheel has gone round more times than a GF50 pulley!

Its a bug bear of mine when people say such and such is guaranteed for life.
In my book that means its guaranteed to be OK until its knackered, which means square root of sod all in reality.
Re: Re Vectra for HJ - anthony farrar
Guranteed for life is like the modern trend in clothes - one size fits all - oh yeah right.
Re: Re Vectra for HJ - David W
Anthony,

They'll fit me, John S as well I guess. Have you finished with that suit yet John.

David
Re: Re Vectra for HJ - John S
David

And I was expecting the usual measured DW response!

1) The 2.2 Vectra doesn't have a cam belt - it has the new all-alloy engine with chain driven cams, as used in the VX220.

2) No, sorry, still comes out for meeting clients, along with the ***. Image is all, you know, image is all.

Cheers

John
Re: Re Vectra for HJ - Dan J
*** = tie?

:-)
Re: Re Vectra for HJ - David W
John,

>Image is all, you know, image is all.

That's why I want a go with your suit. Not sure about the no'1 car though, does it do Fen tracks and 150mm mud?

David
David

Not much in the mud with the M-tech suspension, but the traction control is a whiz on the snow!

Regards

John
Re: Re Vectra for HJ - Guy Lacey
LPG converted MkII Golf - understated class with an environmental twang.
Re: Re Vectra for HJ - powersa
Humvee stealth edition.
Humvee stealth edition? - Surely an oxymoron?

regards

John
Re: Re Vectra for HJ - Honest John
To Guy: Already got an 86C Mk II; used to have two: an 8v GTi and a 16v. The 16v went 3 years ago. The 8v just passed its MOT again today. No point in throwing a car like that away. But no way would I consider an old motor as my daily driver. Whatever it is, it has to be 100% reliable, a decent drive, economical and as happy in London traffic as it is at 100mph. The auction bought Mondy is the first car I've ever had that's been all of those.

HJ
Re: Re VW for HJ - Guy Lacey
"No Worries" as the air-cooled VW fraternity would say! I've had both too but would go back to a 16V MkII anyday. 8V dull.

Nice to hear you have such a good taste in motas tho HJ!

My MkII's have got me to work for the past 6years at 40 miles a day with only one breakdown. They have also carried me as far as Manchester and back, London and back with no probs and circa 38mpg. Incredibly comfortable but suspension can be harsh.

Luverly-Jubbly tho!

Mondeo OK but the seats really knacker my back more than any other car for some odd reason. You too? (I'm 6'3" - 34" leg)
Re: Re VW for HJ - Ronnie Courtney
Guy

Fully agree about the 16 valve MkII - my prospective (?) son-in-law has one as a second car and let's me drive it - if I'm good.

BTW, no wonder your back is knackered driving a Mondeo - If you are " 6'3" minus 34" leg I reckon that makes you 3'5"! Only kidding - if your overall length is 6'3" and one leg is 34", just how long is the *other* leg?

Ronnie

PS How tall is HJ? We need to know if we are to help him get the right car.
Re: Re VW for HJ - Honest John
Five feet Nine and no daddy long-legs. My Mondy has an electric height-adjustable seat, but I drive with the backrest much more reclined than most drivers. This supports the back all the way along it instead of concentrating all the weight of the torso at the base of the spine. (Advice from Professor Mark Porter, head of the ergonomics unit at Loughborough University which sorted out the seats on FIATs.) Never had a twinge from the Mondy or either of the GTis, or from 205GTis, or from S Type Jag (I'm afraid the list goes on and on and on, but the 105 Series Alfa I had in 1977 was the most comfortable of the lot). Wife likes yellow SEAT Ibiza and Leon Cupras.

HJ
Reclined seats - John S
HJ

Those of us who grew up in the Jim Clark era always drove like that. After all, if Jim did it, it must be good and now a professor agrees.

Excellent! Next time my wife complains about having to adjust the wheel up, move the seat forward and adjust the back rest, to drive my car I'll quote the prof!

Regards

John
Re: Reclined seats - Andrew Smith
I used to drive in quite a reclined position as this seemed to be the most comfortable but have found in succesive cars that the steering wheel does not adjust far enough to allow me to do this. The last car in which the driving position was truely perfect was the last car that didn't have an airbag (86' Toyota Carina II) I don't know if this is a coincidence or not.

As for er indoors I've found that the difference between her driving position and mine on the rear view mirror is exactly the same as the anti-dazzle click on the rear view mirror.
Re: Re VW for HJ - Richard Hall
Audi RS2 (if you can find one). A totally practical, reliable German estate car that happens to have 320 BHP. Still too dear, but getting steadily cheaper.
Re: Re Vectra for HJ - Brian W
My wife is six inches shorter than me and her head appears to be offset to the right.
It is a pain adjusting the seat and mirrors each time.
Her replacement will be checked for fit in the car first!
Re: Re Vectra for HJ - Honest John
Richard has got to be joking. With this website taking all my money and 80% of my time (therefore 80% of my ability to earn money), there is no way I can afford to take the chance of an RS2 until I've either won the lottery or sold my share of the site (the odds oof either happening are about even).

HJ
Re: Re Vectra for HJ - Dan J
It must be difficult - This is a fantastic site and I am sure the regulars, now committed, would be happy to pay a reasonable annual fee to use HJ but that is hardly going to encourage new visitors.

There are many invaluable bits of info on this site - There are few places, if any, where you can get such informative information on a particular car as you can here but it has to be difficult to convert the site into one which makes money. The mentality of everyone who uses the internet is that it must be free!

What about car related adverts on here such as insurance/manufacturers etc? I suppose you then get the problem of say, Renault wanting to advertise, then reading forum comments and getting arsey about it all.

Difficult... Maybe you should run a new thread with suggestions on "How HJ.co.uk can make money?" and see what people manage to come up with!
Re: Can't afford an RS2 - Honest John
In answer to Dan J, all that is supposed to be happening. Meanwhile I've got no money apart from the joke rate The Telegraph pays me for the column and any bits and pieces I can scratch, which is difficult when I'm working all my time on the column and on the website. Can't even go back to trading because that really is full-time. I'm not bitching here. Merely explaining why an RS2 isn't on my shopping list for a new motor.

HJ
Re: Can't afford an RS2 - Paul Robinson
Hello HJ

I don't think anyone expected you to actually buy something we suggested. The thread was just a bit of fun, like telling the the boss what company car to have next.

As a man who knows the weaknesses of all cars, (every car has them) when the time comes for a change do you find it difficult to choose??

Regards

Paul R
Can afford a MB. - David W
HJ,

What about the car I often call my "lottery win" car.

A Mercedes Turbo Diesel around 1995 in met blue and just slightly dirty. Not over flash but satisfying, fast (??) and economical.

David
Re: Don't want a 1995MBTD - Honest John
But a mid nineties Merc TD isn't fast, isn't satisfying, doesn't handle and is less economical than my Mondy. That's my problem with the Mondy. Apart from about £3,500 of depreciation in three years it has been an unexpectedly brilliant buy (so far). And all I'd wanted to do when I bought it was unload it after a couple of months. Anyone who can go out and buy a 98R or 98S 2.0 litre with 30,000 - 40,000 miles for £4,000 - £4,500 won't find a better car for the money.

HJ
I'd like a Merc - Paul Robinson
Depends what you mean by 'satisfying'. I'd find that fabulous sense of 'quality' that Merc's of that vintage ooze immensely satisfying.

Trouble is my clients would think I'm charging them too much!
Pull your finger out. - Guy Lacey
I raised a thread many moons ago about how HJ can turn in a few sponduliks from this site with a few interesting replies but nothing seems to have happened? It was a while ago methinks.

Come on Martyn BRM - pull your finger out!!