1995 cavalier 1.7 TD Smoking out exhaust - madmonty
Hi,

After a slight error when my wife said the oil light was on, I suggested getting oil and putting a drop in. just enough to last until the weekend... Unfortunately, due to an error in communications, she got oil, put it in. The same night when I got home, I put in some oil... OK My fault, I should have dipped it but we both put oil in. So, the following morning (today) she informs me it is smoking badly... On her way home going up a hill, she lost power and LOTS of smoke out the back. I was able after letting the car sit get it up the hill and home.

Can someone confirm that:
the smoking is caused by too much oil

A N D

the loss of power and excessive smoke is also due to too much oil and the hill incline didnt help...

The car is 10 years old and is needing a clutch amongst other things... We just need this car running for another month or 2 before we change!

Please help...
1995 cavalier 1.7 TD Smoking out exhaust - Victorbox
You could try loosening off the sump plug and draining some oil out when it is cold so you are sure it is at the right level and see if the smoking stops. The car is probably only two thirds the way through its life and a Cavalier clutch takes approx half an hour or so to change so is really cheap by clutch standards. Don't give up on it just yet!
1995 cavalier 1.7 TD Smoking out exhaust - Sprice
Oil lights are pressure not level indicators, so the light coming on meant a 'blip' in the pressure (it could come on for low level though, if it dropped too low!)

Check the level when cold, if only a little over max (1 or 2mm) leave it, otherwise drain some out, and if youre definately getting rid of the car no matter what, don't bother getting the clutch done, no point!
1995 cavalier 1.7 TD Smoking out exhaust - madmonty
I have changed the oil and fuel filters and replaced the oil.

I have put approx 4L of new oil into the engine and it is still not registering on the dipstick! How much oil does this thing take?

I think the smoking is due to a head gasket and not an oil overfill.

The oil that came out did not look like much was there originally.

Now the car wont start. Probably an airlock. I haver put a new post up for that problem.

Thanks for all the help.
1995 cavalier 1.7 TD Smoking out exhaust - Dynamic Dave
How much oil does this thing take?

I have vague recollections of it being 5 litres. However, as you've already put 4 litres in, add a small amount (100 ml) at a time and keep checking the dipstick measurement.