Why are some drivers so aggressive - Obsolete
A few minutes ago I was in my car, and had just reached the turning to the side road where I live. The side road is sharply curved, and usually lined with cars, so there is only room for one car at a time. Hence it's best to indicate, come to a stop, check the way is clear, then turn if it is, since reversing would be near impossible. Anyway, I had stopped, checked and was turning when I heard the driver of the car behind shuoting "You pink fluffy dice old pink fluffy dice" in a very loud and threatening manner. I had the presence of mind not to reply. To be honest I'm quite shocked at the level of aggression. I'm not old, but such behaviour must be quite frightening for elderly people, and to be honest I am somewhat concerned that someone like that might be wandering the streets.

Leif

PFDc courtesy of ND :o)
Why are some drivers so aggressive - Bill Payer
This sounds a well dodgy proceedure to me - you're doing nothing wrong, of course, but you're just asking to be hit up the chuff by someone practicing synchronized driving, where they expect you to have turned out of the way by the time they arrive.
If it isn't possible to approach from the other end of your side road then my suggestion would be to try to 'dominate' the lane in the road that you're turning from - as if you're stopping in a queue of traffic - and then turn left. You need to be very careful of cyclists etc coming up on your inside, though.
Why are some drivers so aggressive - none
Leif,
I work with a young bloke who's one of the nicest chaps around, he's good natured, helpful, good with customers and although he does get his own way at times he's certainly not a dominant character. Put him in the driving seat of a car though, and the change is immediate. He passed his test a couple of years ago and within a few weeks had gathered enough points to be disqualified and had to retake his test. He still drives like a maniac, speeding, fist waving, horn blowing, effing and blinding at anyone in his way, and naturally enough everyone else on the road is incompetent. Yet as soon as he gets out of a car, he's his normal amiable self. Maybe you've met him !!
And can anyone explain the behavior change ?
Why are some drivers so aggressive - Oz
This Jekyll and Hyde effect is of course a curious and long-studied phenomenon. What's in the mind of the perpetrators when driving?
A Catholic Church near us disgorges its flock after Mass on to a very busy main road around 3 times each Sunday. Not wishing to be controversial, but it's amazing to see how rapidly the 'Peace be with you' maxim seems to evaporate!
Oz (as was)
Why are some drivers so aggressive - ihpj
it's amazing to see how
rapidly the 'Peace be with you' maxim seems to evaporate!

>>
Perhaps with the same zealousness as the faithful after Friday Prayers @ Central London Mosque I assume ;)

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
Why are some drivers so aggressive - Robin Reliant
I have often thought that a lot of these types are not actually very confident drivers. They think they are, but subconsiously they are not comfortable with the skills needed to constantly vary the speed and direction of the vehicle, and only feel in control when they can maintain a brisk straight line progress. They cover it by abusing everyone else and using their aggression to convince themselves that they are superior to the rest of us on the road. They must really hate driving, it cannot be enjoyable to act like that.

A bit like aggressive homosexual baiters, who are often trying to cover a deep seated fear that they themselves might be gay.
Why are some drivers so aggressive - Sofa Spud
Various reasons.

Some drivers are naturally aggressive people who are temperamentally unsuited to driving.

Some think that agreesion is part of the 'real driver' culture and copy the above.

Some don't like driving but won't admit it, so it makes them edgy.

Some people get impatient when they're in a hurry.

Cheers, Sofa Spud