Enter Honest John's Kit Competition An awesome prize is up for grabs every week | No thanks

Is it worth spending more to get a manufacturer approved-used car?

My Hyundai i20 was written off recently. My insurer has offered me £3695 to find a replacement. I found one on the AA used car website from for that price, but it's not AA-approved. Can I buy it with confidence? It comes with 12 months MoT, three months warranty and free breakdown cover. a Hyundai-approved car is £4150, so I would have to put my own money in. I don't want to, but is it wiser to do that? Both dealers are far away from me so if something went wrong I couldn't easily take it back. Can I hold out for more money from insurer? They say they've done their research and I can get a car for £3695.

Asked on 12 March 2018 by fab1

You found a car for £3695. An insurance settlement does not buy you a car with a dealer warranty because that would be 'betterment'. You'll probably have less argument buying from the Hyundai dealer, so might be worth the extra £450. A dealer is automatically liable for any major fault that could have pre-existed the sale of the car for six months from the sale of the car.